Front Suspension - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Front Suspension

My bike has 21,000 kilometers on it and I'm feeling the front suspension a little "soft". You know, when you apply the front brakes and the bike leans forward (a lot).
Do you think that if I change the oil for a thicker one, I will make the suspension a more firmer?
Does anybody have experience this or do some simple mods in their front suspension?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

how much do you weigh? may be a good idea to respring for your weight as well as modifying haydraulic viscosity

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019
post #3 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

mmm... I'm 210 pounds.
I know this bike has a soft suspension but with the years it become softer...

post #4 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Springs control the weight, damping controls the speed at which the springs compress and extend.
Simply replacing the OEM oil to the stock height will definitely improve the response, but as you find the softness an issue, yes, you would probably appreciate the next grade up as the oil ages and thins.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

21000 kilometers isn't too early for the fork oil to be needing replacement. It gets pretty contaminated and watery. A higher weight oil wouldn't hurt either.

A big part of the reason for the soft suspension is the progressive rate springs. Unfortunately, those springs are a big part of why the bike dives like it does under hard braking. Upgrading the spring rate and going with constant rate springs is probably not a bad idea given your weight, and not very expensive.
post #6 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

To help with front end dive Ricor Intiminators are your best friend.

Last year I was frustrated with the front of my DL. When running over things like manhole covers the vibration would reverberate up through the bars. I know the forks are antiquated technology and was going to pull the trigger on some fork internals to help smooth things when I talked to a buddy that has a DL1000. HE had talked about a fork brace doing wonders to help the front of the bike. I ordered one and he was right. While the front end still isn't Ohlins the fork brace made the front end light years better.

For the record I also have a fork brace on one of my DR's and there is no discernable difference w/ or w/o. But on the DL its night and day.
post #7 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 08:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

PerazziMx14, what make of fork brace did you get?
post #8 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 PM
KSM
Stromthusiast!

My new to me 2012 650 would really dive when I hit the front brake. I'm about 190 pounds geared up. I installed stiffer springs and emulators and went to a heavier fork oil. Made a huge difference. Also upgraded the rear at the same time. Whole different bike now.
Clayyalc likes this.

2012 DL650A (purchased Dec 2017)
2005 DRZ400S (sold Dec 2017)
1972 Norton Commando (sold 1984)
1978 Suzuki DR370 (sold 1982)
post #9 of 39 Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
To help with front end dive Ricor Intiminators are your best friend.

Last year I was frustrated with the front of my DL. When running over things like manhole covers the vibration would reverberate up through the bars. I know the forks are antiquated technology and was going to pull the trigger on some fork internals to help smooth things when I talked to a buddy that has a DL1000. HE had talked about a fork brace doing wonders to help the front of the bike. I ordered one and he was right. While the front end still isn't Ohlins the fork brace made the front end light years better.

For the record I also have a fork brace on one of my DR's and there is no discernable difference w/ or w/o. But on the DL its night and day.
Another vote for intiminators and their recommended fresh oil. My 2012 650 23,000 miles that fork oil was nasty. I'm 210 also

Last edited by bnucci24; 04-20-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Adding
post #10 of 39 Old 04-20-2018, 08:45 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Fresh heavier oil will slightly slow down "brake dive". Heavier springs will be needed to really help that. These V STroms have a poor front suspension to start with. Adding cartridge emulators, proper rated springs, and the right viscosity oil is worth all the money spent on these.

There will always be brake dive on these, that is part of the geometry of the suspension. But it can be reduced and much more control maintained when the modifications are made.
MAZ4ME likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode