Which crash bars - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-10-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Which crash bars

I have recently bought a Vstrom 650 standard 2013.. I am now looking for crash bars. The bars will primarily be used to attach 2 x 15 - 20 litre tank bags. Which bars are deemed more suitable. I note that some bars cause vibration / buzz at 5000 rpm. This is the rev range that I normally cruise at on the open road.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-11-2018, 03:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Engine guards / crash bars are a bit personal to each rider, in appearance, height and protection sought. At the end of the day it will depend on your own personal taste and the depth of your pocket. Both Givi and SW-Motech are good in my book and should work well with your crash bar bag choice.
Some say, they have had crash bar vibration issues to which the solution can be found by searching this site. There are also other makes of crash bar, that are also worth looking at. Once again do a search on this site. Good luck, let us know what you ended up with.
Old Time Rider likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

I don't have a preference for one brand, I had the Givi on my 09 650 and had no vibration problems.

Your tank bags will dampen the bars and take care of any bad vibes.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have the Altrider bars which I have been perfectly happy with. I haven't been able to detect any vibration buzzing and spend most of my time at freeway speeds. Although I don't have any experience beyond these bars, I would imagine all the major brands are somewhat equivalent in terms of performance.
Mulewright likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Outback motortek for mine, no issues at all, dropped at low speed, 40ish k's twice, got a mark on the bars, bike itself was untouched.
Very happy with them.
Clayyalc likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I appreciate all of your feedback.Maybe the buzzing is not a big deal after all.

Just a thought - I am looking for crash bars to keep tank bags off the bike. Do I really need them?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have a K2 and just got HEED crash bars and skid plate combo. Very nice and only $300 for the pair. Takes a long time for the to arrive wrom Poland though.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLaneRider View Post
I have a K2 and just got HEED crash bars and skid plate combo. Very nice and only $300 for the pair. Takes a long time for the to arrive wrom Poland though.
Perfect timing for this thread as I was just looking at ordering the HEED crash bars & skid plate combo last night.

Not to derail this thread, but one question for you or anyone who might know before I make a separate thread about it...
I'm trying to figure out if the HEED skid plate will interfere with the SW-Motech center stand I have.
I emailed HEED to ask but they have not tested w/ the SW-Motech stand; they could only say that the SW-Motech should fit with their skid if it's not different from the OEM Suzuki center stand... but I could have sworn I've read other threads a while back saying some ceter stand & skid plate combos don't play nice together (can't remember if that was a Vstrom forum or for some other bike though).

Do you happen to have a SW-Motech center stand on your bike by chance with the HEED skid plate?

If not, does anyone know what compatibility differences I might expect to run into with the SW-Motech center stand vs the Suzuki center stand?

Granted it's a steel skid plate so I could always cut/weld it for clearance if necessary, but I'd rather not have to do so...

Last edited by ShcottyG; 04-12-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Sorry OEM center stand. Plus I'm on an 02 DL1000.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLaneRider View Post
Sorry OEM center stand. Plus I'm on an 02 DL1000.
Ah, thanks. Just saw your comment in the other thread I started (hoping for a quick reply since I want to order tonight).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode