My Strom left me stranded :( - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-26-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My Strom left me stranded :(

Of course this would happen the day after I post up on Facebook what a great bike its been over the last 73000 miles....

I was riding in to work this morning on my 2012 650 when the bike died leaving me stranded on the 405 for 3 hours wile I waited for a tow truck. My ABS has been playing up in the rain (see other threads) but it's never died on me. This mornings failure was catastrophic. I can get the dash to light up by wiggling the connector on the ABS unit behind the shock but I have a "check something" code up on the dash and it won't start. I'll nip out and take some pics to add in moment but I wondered if anyone knows where I should start with this?

I'm assuming the check - something is an error code I'll have to pull by putting it in dealer mode, no? I can't get my fat mitt in to actually pull the ABS plug so it will have to wait til I get it home later tonight before I can pull the battery tray to access it.

Can anyone confirm that the bike wont run if the ABS plug is disconnected?

Thanks

RESOLVED: JUMP TO POST #15 TO SEE THE ISSUE

Last edited by marcoma; 04-06-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-26-2018, 05:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

My rear ABS sensor recently got severed because I didn’t “slot” the brake assembly into the frame and it rotated the right side to the point of tearing it off.
I was able to ride all the way home with a disabled unit.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Marcoma, many times if there is a charging system failure low voltage will cause an error code in other systems such as ABS. Retrieve the code before assuming it's an ABS issue.
cyclopathic likes this.

post #4 of 24 Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd start by measurring the voltage at the battery. If the battery is discharged, charge it and see if the bike starts. If it does, do the charging system tests.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-26-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So to expand - I turn on the ignition and the neutral light comes on but nothing on the dash. Push the harness next to the ABS unit where it plugs in and the dash lights up, the pump primes but the red light is on and it wont turn over. Dash says "Check". If I bridge the diagnostic plug to get the code it shows C41.

I'm looking up that code now....

OK so C41 is a fuel pump error code. I'd say thats a by-product of the wiring issue as the dash doesn't light up unless I meddle with the ABS plug.

I've tried resetting the ECU - same

Battery is good and fully charged and was charging fine before the bike cut out today(checked last week).

Last edited by marcoma; 03-26-2018 at 08:34 PM.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-29-2018, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ugh - just bought a used wiring loom for $99. Gonna be a busy weekend......
post #7 of 24 Old 03-29-2018, 04:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

UK Storms have been known to have wiring loom issues. My first one (c41) was traced to the connectors above the radiator which had corroded. These were cleaned and filled with grease/wrapped in bicycle inner tube. The connectors there also affect the dash.
The second one I had was within the wiring loom where it crosses the frame, clutch side, near the coolant bottle. This one was a factory fitted crimp burried within the loom that had failed.
When you replace your loom it is definitely worth adding some waterproofing to the connectors above the radiator.
Good luck
marcoma likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-29-2018, 04:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Edit: as I can't edit the above, here's a picture of my strom with the weather proofing added to the connectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170201_202721_1522312591941.jpg (13.4 KB, 92 views)
post #9 of 24 Old 03-31-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I checked that plug - it looks fine. I did clean and dielectric grease all the plugs on the bike. The bike electrics play up in wet weather and I power washed it last weekend which I think caused the issue.
As its the abs sensor that usually errors in the wet (the one time you actually want abs!) I'm hoping its not the abs pump - those things are stupid expensive.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-01-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Waiting for the new harness to arrive.

At least I got to change the plugs, clean the filter and wipe it all down under the covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strondown.jpg (23.0 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode