Battery recommendations? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Battery recommendations?

My original battery is approaching the six year mark and still is performing well but for peace of mind I am planning to replace it. Lots of threads on this already but for the sake of efficiency in ten words or less what batteries are recommended? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 11:19 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Lead-acid, and cheap, is my 2 cents.
Rides2Work, marcham and Hatchi like this.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
YUASA......I have already gone through "2" cheap batteries on my 2015 XT, the last YUASA I had in a bike lasted 6 years. My current YUASA cranks the engine over like a raped ape, my bike has never started like it does now. Oh and I am betting your original battery is a YUASA, if so that is yet another reason to get another.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Batteries are one of those things you can drive yourself nuts researching. Just head over to NAPA and get youself one of their Legend AGM batteries. ETX12 is the part number, $80 out the door. Bring your old battery in to swap and no core charge.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
By "cheap" I did mean the Yuasa variety. Lead acid being cheaper than the fancy gel cell stuff, right?
Big B likes this.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

You are correct. You aren't on a 450 MX bike where you want to save every pound you can. A good Yuasa or other name brand battery is the way to go. I'd try to buy from a place that has reasonable turnover so you don't get one that has been sitting around for a long time. But it may be that if the battery has never been setup it won't make a difference if it has been sitting on the shelf for two months or two years.

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
By "cheap" I did mean the Yuasa variety. Lead acid being cheaper than the fancy gel cell stuff, right?
Big B likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikehigh View Post
Batteries are one of those things you can drive yourself nuts researching. Just head over to NAPA and get youself one of their Legend AGM batteries. ETX12 is the part number, $80 out the door. Bring your old battery in to swap and no core charge.
AGM is the way to go. O'Reilly auto parts has the same thing, comparable price, if you don't have a Napa close by.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Another vote for the YTX12-BS Yuasa (best). Don't let the shop fill it, diy per the instructions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yuasa AGM is the only battery I install in the motorcycles I service. One of Yuasa's features is that they have a yearly catalog showing battery applications and specifications. With my battery testers I can check capacity against spec, usually during an oil change, and avoid an unpleasant surprise out on the road.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-20-2018, 03:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Six years...replace with identical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode