Best way to hard wiring gps and led aux lights - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Best way to hard wiring gps and led aux lights

Hi,

I need to install a Garmin gps and some aux led lights on my Dl650 2016. Which plug should I use, the auxiliary one or the one for heated grips?
And another question: does the power source of the gps could drain the battery? I'm not using the motorcycle to often. Every second uikend. If I connect the gps to the battery, there is an converter from 12V to 5V who use the battery all the time. Am I right?

Cheers
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have all my accessories wired through a fused switched/un-switched power supply block, otherwise you should use the heated grip lead IMHO for switched power.
Ol_Baldy, drrod and marcham like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Or if you don't want to install a power supply block, you could just use a relay harness which is commonly supplied with aux. lights and connect the gps to that too. The harness connects directly to the battery and a switched wire that will power the relay. If you're just buying the lights separately without a harness, you can buy the relay harness separately for around $20.

Another similar option would be to install an Eastern Beaver relay harness to run your bike's headlights in order to take the load off your switches. This is highly recommended in any case. Then you can power your gps off the unused plug on the EB harness.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Definitely use a relay or you end up like me and forgetting to turn off the GPS and few days later a kinda dead battery.
Do it right! Or be a BOBO.
signed fellow BOBO.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Definitely use a relay or you end up like me and forgetting to turn off the GPS and few days later a kinda dead battery.
signed fellow BOBO.
I've hooked up my GPS units directly and never had an issue.. the current draw is very little and overnight isn't close to an issue. I don't think I have ever left it more than overnight though. It drives me crazy in my car that the GPS shuts down when the ignition is switched off.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #6 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Bobo from Florida?

Hit 'Em with the Hein
post #7 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
signed fellow BOBO.
Bobo from Florida?

Hit 'Em with the Hein
post #8 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Gollllly. I never realized the BOBO from Florida was so famous. I was just throwing out a general dumbass BOBO connotation.
Must be the vacuum I live in.
I will gladly relinquish the self inflicted title!

"left it more than overnight though"

There you go, you caught it before the GPS ate all the electrolyte in the battery and went to sleep. You're a more careful man than I Gunga Din.
iamsmiling likes this.

Last edited by notacop; 03-07-2018 at 04:09 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thank you guys!

So, for GPS I will go with the heated grips plug. I don't mind if the GPS go off and I have to press another button to keep it on. It's less annoying then flattening the battery.
For the auxiliary lights I will use either the Aux factory plug with a relay and a switch (I understand that the power is on all the time on the aux plug, right?) or I will buy an harness from the Beaver and wire them straight from the battery. Am I correct?

Last night checking for the hidden factory plugs on my bike a deep thought strike me: I don't have crash bars and so I can't install the Aux Led Lights )) Dah BOBO!
So pass for the moment with the aux lights.

Cheers
G
notacop likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you use the heated grip plug for the relay, you can tap off that for the riding lights too. The GPS draw in minimal and so would the lights load if they are LED's.
I mounted the first set of aux lights to the reflector mount hole on the forks.

Some crash bars are a less than optimal location for aux lights. Due to the shape of the crash bars my leds eat it every time I fall over since they hang out in the breeze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode