Effect of fairings upon mpg? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Effect of fairings upon mpg?

I just completed my first tank on my salvaged 2014 Glee, and the trip computer is reporting 37.6 mpg. My buddy's 2012 (with fairings and a big windscreen) does 53 when I ride it in the exact same manner- cruising on the freeway at ~80 mph. This seems like too big of a gap to be put to just a lack of fairings and windscreen, but I could be wrong. Does it sound normal to anyone else? I have a windscreen on order, but somehow I doubt a windscreen will net me 16 mpg...

The valves have just been adjusted and the air filter is brand new and stock, stock pipe as well.

"Definitely do not sit on a DL1000. Big mistake. You'll end up buying one. Happened to me. True story."
-busarider54

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 06:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

For a start, have you checked for any of the following:
1) Front / rear brakes binding
2) Riding with foot on rear brake
3) Wheel bearings tested for binding / drag
4) Fuel leak at throttle body
5) Riding style
post #3 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 07:15 AM
$tromtrooper

and wind direction but 53 mpg seems high on a litre bike unless wind assisted so you might be going after unobtanium.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

post #4 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
For a start, have you checked for any of the following:
1) Front / rear brakes binding
2) Riding with foot on rear brake
3) Wheel bearings tested for binding / drag
4) Fuel leak at throttle body
5) Riding style
1. Front brake is riding a little bit, but not to any terribly noticeable degree, just light scraping when the wheel is free spinning. Rear is fine.
2. Nope
3. Front is good, haven't tested the rear but I will today.
4. Haven't checked that, but there is no obvious sign of leakage or smell of fuel.
5. That definitely plays a factor in overall MPG, but I got 53 on my buddy's 2012 650 pretty easily riding in the exact same manner. His has fairings and a large windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdoc View Post
and wind direction but 53 mpg seems high on a litre bike unless wind assisted so you might be going after unobtanium.
Not really sure on the wind direction, but there hasn't been much wind when I've been riding lately. Also, this is the 650 Glee strom I planned on ditching my K3 because of poor fuel mileage, but at this rate, I'm pretty pissed off at Stroms altogether...

"Definitely do not sit on a DL1000. Big mistake. You'll end up buying one. Happened to me. True story."
-busarider54

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf
post #5 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 07:49 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

52 was my overall average on the 2012 650 when commuting on it. I don't remember getting under 40 mpg, even with cruise set at 78 mph/gps loaded down on trips.

Fill the tank up and then check the mileage manually. Do NOT depend on the mpg readout!
Big B and Brockie like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #6 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

I average 46 mpg with my 2012 V1000. The lowest on my 1000 is what you're averaging on your 650. Can't tell you what, but you got something wrong.

KKORO
post #7 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
What kind of tires between bikes? Air pressure? Chain lube?

2014 650 Strom
post #8 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I second checking it manually. My 2013 DL650 has been reading lower fuel mileage all winter. 53 -> 47. I am attributing some to winter fuel and lower ambient temperatures, but recently noticed I could only get 4 gallons in after flashing fuel pump + 20 miles or so (210 miles) In the summer this would be 250 miles or so and a 4.6-4.8. Seems like mileage has stayed the same but mpg and fuel reading off in winter. Not sure if MPG calculations even use the fuel level sensor. Seems like the computer should know better than the fuel gauge how much fuel is being used. One other observation, I have not reset trip 2 in like 6000+ miles and yet the average on that seems way to easy to influence in just a tank or so. For example if I run 200 miles pretty hot the average will drop more than I would expect. Seems like the average is kind of a rolling average since reset not a total mileage since reset/total fuel consumed since reset.

Disclaimer - The are my off the cuff observations/impressions and not a result of precise logging of indications, fuel amounts and distances so they are subject to my all too human limits of perception. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed these things.

If you are really getting 37.6 something is not working correctly. Running cold maybe? Or thinks it is? 3 blocks on temp gauge on? You and your buddy should fill up and go for 200 mile ride and note the fuel blocks shutting off, then fill up. If you are really getting 37.6 you won't make it (or just barely 5.3G) I think of each block as 50 miles.

kfh000

Last edited by kfh000; 03-01-2018 at 10:37 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Actually fairings can have a large effect on mpg. No fairing and you have a basically flat shape trying to pass through the air.
About the worst I get is 47 mpg with a spirited pace riding in the mountains.
Wanna know about high mpg and fairings?
Craig Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge. better mileage. Living better on less energy
basketcase likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTuWitty View Post
I just completed my first tank on my salvaged 2014 Glee, and the trip computer is reporting 37.6 mpg. My buddy's 2012 (with fairings and a big windscreen) does 53 when I ride it in the exact same manner- cruising on the freeway at ~80 mph. This seems like too big of a gap to be put to just a lack of fairings and windscreen, but I could be wrong. Does it sound normal to anyone else? I have a windscreen on order, but somehow I doubt a windscreen will net me 16 mpg...

The valves have just been adjusted and the air filter is brand new and stock, stock pipe as well.

Are the front sprockets the same between the 2 bikes? The OEM 15 tooth reads about 8% high a 16 tooth will be pretty close.

From my experience >75ish is where the gas mileage takes a hit on the 650. If you are actually riding at 80 mph then yea <40mpg can happen. I've seen mid 30s in certain conditions i.e. 85mph, windy, hills, etc.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode