Fender Catches on Engine Guards? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Fender Catches on Engine Guards?

Hi friends,

My new-to-me 2014 DL650 has a bit of a problem. I just installed CBR brakes with caliper adapters, and I was out testing them (the stock brakes were woefully underpowered compared to what I'm used to, and I had adapters and the brakes lying around so I figured "why not?"), and the fender got caught ON TOP of the engine guard/skidplate. I extricated it but it had been bent inward and I had to use pliers to bend the plastic back to its normal shape. The below photos will illustrate.

This is how the bike sits normally (note the jacked up fender from my plying efforts )

The other side:

Here's the bike with the fork caps off and lowered on a jack until the fender hits the guard:

When I was playing with the brakes, heavy braking pushed the fender up over that engine guard/skidplate lip and it caught there.

My thought is that the previous owner crashed and tweaked the engine guards/skidplate such that it's now too close to the fender and that's why it catches. Any other theories? Anyone had anything similar happen to them? I'm reasonably certain these engine guards are the TN3101 from Givi (they say Givi on the other side). I'm not sure about the skidplate.

"Definitely do not sit on a DL1000. Big mistake. You'll end up buying one. Happened to me. True story."
-busarider54

"Purchasing a V-Strom from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house."
-ShortOnSkill

"I'm for moves that will help people get over the idea that it is ever okay to drink and drive."
-greywolf

Last edited by aTuWitty; 02-27-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTuWitty View Post
Hi friends,

My new-to-me 2014 DL650 has a bit of a problem. I just installed CBR brakes with caliper adapters, and I was out testing them (the stock brakes were woefully underpowered compared to what I'm used to, and I had adapters and the brakes lying around so I figured "why not?"), and the fender got caught ON TOP of the engine guard/skidplate. I extricated it but it had been bent inward and I had to use pliers to bend the plastic back to its normal shape. The below photos will illustrate.

This is how the bike sits normally (note the jacked up fender from my plying efforts )

The other side:

Here's the bike with the fork caps off and lowered on a jack until the fender hits the guard:

When I was playing with the brakes, heavy braking pushed the fender up over that engine guard/skidplate lip and it caught there.

My thought is that the previous owner crashed and tweaked the engine guards/skidplate such that it's now too close to the fender and that's why it catches. Any other theories? Anyone had anything similar happen to them? I'm reasonably certain these engine guards are the TN3101 from Givi (they say Givi on the other side). I'm not sure about the skidplate.
Something is not right!! Mine are no where near that close and I have the same skid plate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
richlandrick likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 07:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hi,
I have the exact same Givi engine bars and steel skid plate. I have much more clearance!!!
Comparing mine, I have to ask, have your fork tubes been raised in the triple tree?

Ken
IBA #47980 (SS1000, 50CC, Border-to-Border 36)
Current Rides include:
2012 Harley Limited
2011 WeeStrom ABS (Velorex sidecar now gone).
1981 Yamaha XS 650 Special
1968 BSA (441) Shooting Star

post #4 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 07:44 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I think I would pull the fork tubes and check that they are not bent!
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 09:04 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

J-bone's comment and the tail tell sign of the skid plate being forward of the crash bar says it all. I strongly suspect the PO drilled new holes in the bottom of the skid plate and moved its mounting position forward.

Check underneath for additional mounting holes forward of where teh bolts are or a modified mounting bracket.

A picture of J-Bone's skid plate install at the front might help.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Could be a combo of things. Skidplate mounting too far ahead, Fender raised, forks moved up. I would think the skidplate should be behind the engine guard.

2014 650 Strom
post #7 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 09:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just reread and saw the OP bike is a '14 650 so arrangement may be slightly different.
On my 11 the plate is correctly mounted. It does go in front of the engine bars.
No additional holes drilled.
I have attached a pic of mine.
You can see where the bottom of my front fender lies in relation to the plate.
If tubes are raised in the tree (front end lowered) or forks are bent clearance would decrease.
Pardon my other V-twin in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0227180731.jpg (24.3 KB, 47 views)

Ken
IBA #47980 (SS1000, 50CC, Border-to-Border 36)
Current Rides include:
2012 Harley Limited
2011 WeeStrom ABS (Velorex sidecar now gone).
1981 Yamaha XS 650 Special
1968 BSA (441) Shooting Star
post #8 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Pretty lucky you did not go down!
post #9 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Same thing happened to me. My forks were bent.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
pretty sure that is an Enduro Guardian skid plate. I have a 14 650 with same skidplate and givi engine guards.
Let me know and i can take some pics later tonight if that would be helpful, maybe to compare the mounting location of the plate.
I just added a fenda xtenda and mine is no where close to hitting like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode