FJ-09 vs. GLEEstrom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

7Likes
  • 2 Post By wingstrom
  • 2 Post By MAZ4ME
  • 1 Post By scritch
  • 2 Post By ahtoxa11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-26-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

FJ-09 vs. GLEEstrom

I'm quit happy with my 2012 650. It's comfortable, smooth, quiet, economical, reliable, and fun to ride. I sold my '06 1000 to get the ABS feature. The ONLY thing I miss is the grunt of 98 HP vs. 67 HP with the 650.

So.........I came across a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 on a dealer's showroom floor just waiting to be flogged. It's got 3 cylinders, more torque, and over 100 HP and weighs about the same as my 650. I prefer the FJ's styling as well.

So why should or shouldn't I jump ship?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ride whatever bike suits your needs/desires
Pauloxxi and Spec like this.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 12:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

If I was willing to afford it, I would jump! My 2012 is paid off and running good with 70+K miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

RBK, I helped a friend buy a leftover '15 FJ-09 a year ago. This past July we rode our bikes('14 Vstrom1000 for me) to Deals Gap and back from St. Louis, Mo. 1455 miles in 3 days.
The FJ...Very quick, fast, excellent fuel economy, well-finished. TQ and HP.
The "Not-so-Good".... Rear axle pusher blocks were way too soft--you try to adjust chain slack, the adjusting bolt buries itself in the front of the block. I had to scrounge GTYR Yamaha chain adjusters in a day so he could make the ride. Yamaha has since updated the part to correct this. Gassing up the FJ drove him nuts. The FJ has a baffle about 2" down from the filler neck opening. Trigger the gas pump, be prepared for the spray back at you or on your bike if youre not careful or in a hurry. The ECU limits top speed to 112(IF that's a deal for you). Hit 112, the bike loses power til you get under 112. He also complained of the FJ being too choppy on decel.
After we got back, he sent his ECU out to some shop that reprogrammed the ECU to eliminate the top speed cutoff, and eliminated the fuel cut to smooth out the decel.
Both issues are solved.
In my opinion, the FJ is more touring-oriented than the Vstrom, the Vstrom is more versatile in on more types of roads. But if power is your main thing, it's the FJ for sure.
Rides2Work and BrianS like this.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 2013 Glee and my buddy has an FJ-09. I'm happy with my choice and he is very happy with his choice. He had a V-strom 650 before, but likes the extra power of the Yamaha. I kind of miss the hp that my Triumph Sprint had, but to be honest, it got me in trouble more than once. I have to be much more deliberate now because I don't have the false competence that the extra power gave me.

Also, the Glee takes regular gas, FJ-09 takes premium as I understand it. More fueling options in the hinterlands.
Rides2Work likes this.

2013 DL650A, OEM centerstand, Powerlet outlet, Parabellum windshield with X-screen deflector.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 08:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think you are trying to compare a Sherman Tank with a Lamborghini.

Both my Stroms have been tough as nails, if I throw one down the road I fully expect to ride it home, I would expect my MT09 to require a trailer (it has twice)

The Yamaha is a absolute blast to ride and has not given me any mechanical issues but there is a reason the bike is so light, there is no meat in the metal.

My MT was knocked over while parked and one of the bolts holding the handlebar mounts to the top triple was bent (far to easy), my son dumped it in the wet, it slid a few feet and made a huge mess of the motor, even rubbed through the fuel tank, good protection is required.

The repair costs in parts alone was more than 50% of the purchase price.

If I just want to have fun I take the Yammy but if I want to go some place it is the Strom for me.

I think everybody should try the Yamaha, but if I could only have one bike there is no doubt it would be a Strom.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Are you talking about adding or trading? Are they making you a deal you can't pass up? The FJ-09 was on my short list when I got the GSX-S1000F. So if you want to stay in the Suzuki brand that might be something to look at - it makes the V2 seem sluggish and is a nice complement to either V-strom. While used bikes are fairly scarce, I've seen a few very nice used ones going for around half of retail.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #8 of 10 Old 02-28-2018, 01:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I sold an FJ9 to get a V2 and have zero regrets. Put nearly 17k miles on the FJ in the year that I owned it.. Hauled butt up in the mountains on day trips, did lots of weekend trips, and one long trip from GA to Maine to Niagara Falls, then back to GA.... I found the FJ to be buzzy in the bars at highway speeds and the exhaust & engine quickly became a buzzy whiney drone that drove me nuts on long extended stretches of highway/country roads and that was with the stock exhaust. The suspension was ill-suited for 2-up or loaded down for an extended road trip with camping gear & etc. The stock seat was awful. The stock windscreen was worse than awful. Per MAZ4ME's post, I also experienced a "gas shower" or two along the way and also had to have the cam chain tensioner replaced twice (the 2nd time left me stranded in Maine for a couple days until they could get the replacement part in from Yamaha. If I had decided to keep it, the ECU would have definitely been sent off for a re-map. All of these issues are fixable if you don't mind spending the money on it...but in all honesty you are talking about a couple grand or more extra to do it right. In *MY* opinion.... The FJ is a great bike for day-trips and maybe a overnight or two, but not well suited for real touring. If I was looking for a play bike with no touring ambitions it would be an FZ09 or GSX-S.. Just my thoughts.. YMMV...

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 2012 650 ADV and actually considered a 15 FJ09. Rode one 20-30 miles and didn't buy it.

I liked the power of it and it felt a bit more hooligan-ish than my wee. If course, that was expected.

What I didn't like is very expensive luggage in order to match the practicality of my factory cases. The cockpit was cramped - the peg to seat distance was short and the pegs are further back and underneath you. Gives you a sportier feel at the sacrifice of comfort.

The FJ09 is more fun when I'm feeling rowdy. But overall it was less practical to live with day to day than my 650

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Rolex and Rides2Work like this.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingstrom View Post
Ride whatever bike suits your needs/desires
what he said!

What I ride now:
2013 Honda GoldWing (The Lady)
2014 V-strom 650 (The Mistress)
Previously: 07 Ultra Classic, 95 Softail, 80 gs450l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode