2012-2016 wee hid projector retrofit - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012-2016 wee hid projector retrofit

I found an old thread about retrofitting but couldnít find anything on this site about doing it to the 12-16 model. Has anyone done it? Iíd like to do this to mine but would feel better seeing pics or hearing from someone here that it worked out well for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 12:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If you were going to crack open the headlight to do this, you might as well just do the LED projector retro fit. I am actually going to start looking for a ebay headlight assembly to see if it can be accomplished cost effectively. $192 new, and I am not willing to open one up at that price.
ehart814 likes this.

Trying to stay warm in the desert Southwest.

2016 DL1000 ABS, C-stand, K60's, Touratec skid, OEM crash, other small things.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012-2016 wee hid projector retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinstall View Post
If you were going to crack open the headlight to do this, you might as well just do the LED projector retro fit. I am actually going to start looking for a ebay headlight assembly to see if it can be accomplished cost effectively. $192 new, and I am not willing to open one up at that price.

LEDís still arenít quite as bright as hid. I have led bulbs in there now and they are pretty decent but the light is scattered. I think what I would like to do is install one projector with hid and leave the other side alone so Iíll still have a little light above the cutoff line.

What led projector are you looking at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Actually LED projector retrofits are as good as HID, hence the OEM application of it more and more. LED bulbs are no where the quality of a projector LED. Lori Morimoto is one of the better known HID projector retrofits, and also build LED projector retrofits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trying to stay warm in the desert Southwest.

2016 DL1000 ABS, C-stand, K60's, Touratec skid, OEM crash, other small things.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Instead of jacking around with the headlights why not just add auxiliary lights?

More than likely you would have more and better quality light down the road than retrofitting whatever into the headlights.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #6 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

I did HID projector retrofit on my FZ6. I'll post up some pics later when I get to a computer. It's not terribly difficult to do, but I'm pretty handy with electronics stuff like this though. I bought the stuff from theretrofitsource.com on a Black Friday sale (usually 15-30% off). It made a big difference, but the FZ6 stock has worse lighting than the Wee does - the left side is low beam, and the right side is high beam. The Wee has dual highs and lows.

Opening up the headlight isn't a big deal, preheat the oven first to 200f. And adding projectors is doable in a way that it's easily able to go back to stock (I recently did on my bike, only needed to purchase new rubber headlight boots for like $6)
ehart814 and jinstall like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Instead of jacking around with the headlights why not just add auxiliary lights?

More than likely you would have more and better quality light down the road than retrofitting whatever into the headlights.

Hid projectors are really the best way to upgrade the factory lights. When done correctly the lights are 3 to 5 times brighter with a perfect pattern that doesnít blind oncoming traffic. Adding auxiliary lights is fine if u donít mind having extra stuff hanging on the front of the bike and adding more wiring. And good aux lights can be pricy. Iíd rather have awesome lights inside the original headlight. Iíve been wanting to try a retrofit project for years and Iím thinking the strom is going to be the first guinea pig. Just trying to find out if anyone here has done it on a 12-16 650 and how it worked out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehart814 View Post
Hid projectors are really the best way to upgrade the factory lights. When done correctly the lights are 3 to 5 times brighter with a perfect pattern that doesnít blind oncoming traffic. Adding auxiliary lights is fine if u donít mind having extra stuff hanging on the front of the bike and adding more wiring. And good aux lights can be pricy. Iíd rather have awesome lights inside the original headlight. Iíve been wanting to try a retrofit project for years and Iím thinking the strom is going to be the first guinea pig. Just trying to find out if anyone here has done it on a 12-16 650 and how it worked out.

In most countries it's illegal to retro fit HIDs into halogen housings. The housing is not designed for HID projectors and the beam cutoff will always be screwed up.

Retrofit HID into halogen housing illegal?

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
In most countries it's illegal to retro fit HIDs into halogen housings. The housing is not designed for HID projectors and the beam cutoff will always be screwed up.

Retrofit HID into halogen housing illegal?

A ďretrofitĒ is not simply replacing halogen bulbs with hid bulbs. It does not use the reflector other than to mount the projector housing. Using this method eliminates beam scatter. The cutoff is perfect, just as if it had hids from the factory. A retrofit may not be DOT compliant, but it is far superior to using hid bulbs in a halogen reflector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jinstall likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehart814 View Post
A ďretrofitĒ is not simply replacing halogen bulbs with hid bulbs. It does not use the reflector other than to mount the projector housing. Using this method eliminates beam scatter. The cutoff is perfect, just as if it had hids from the factory. A retrofit may not be DOT compliant, but it is far superior to using hid bulbs in a halogen reflector.

Yea it's not DOT compliant and you could get a ticket because it's not legal.

Why do you want lights 3-5 times brighter than the OEMs? How could you use those around other drivers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode