A Few Aux Lighting Questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-19-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

A Few Aux Lighting Questions

Hi there.

I know there are lots of posts about light installation, but I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.

After doing some research, I decided to buy an Eastern Beaver headlight relay system for my 2012 DL650A (as compared to making one myself). In addition, I will be connecting some auxiliary lights (front and back), and that is where my questions are based on.

1) For the front aux lights (2 x 8 watt LED), I would like them to be on when my high beams are on. I usually ride with high beams on during the day to be a bit more visible. I rarely drive at night. What is the best way to connect these lights? Directly to the wires where the EB harness connects to the bulbs?

2) I am adding an LED "third brake light". I am just going to connect the brake light wire and not the running light wire (so it will only be on when the brake is applied). Should I be connecting a relay to that, or am I OK to wire the ground and power wire directly?

Thank you for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-19-2018, 03:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

1) For the front aux lights (2 x 8 watt LED), I would like them to be on when my high beams are on. I usually ride with high beams on during the day to be a bit more visible. I rarely drive at night. What is the best way to connect these lights? Directly to the wires where the EB harness connects to the bulbs?

I would wire it via a separate switch. Ther will come the day where you want to or have to turn them on / off separately.

2) I am adding an LED "third brake light". I am just going to connect the brake light wire and not the running light wire (so it will only be on when the brake is applied). Should I be connecting a relay to that, or am I OK to wire the ground and power wire directly?

Eastern Beaver has a connection kit, that's the easiest way to wire. If just the brake function you can use a couple of posi tap connectors. They work well and don't harm the OEM harness.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 11 Old 02-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
1) For the front aux lights (2 x 8 watt LED), I would like them to be on when my high beams are on. Directly to the wires where the EB harness connects to the bulbs?
2) I am adding an LED "third brake light". .... OK to wire the ground and power wire directly?
Hopeful, I'd agree with Blaustrom for the front aux lights. Set them on their own switch and use them as you need. I would recommend that you power them from 'switched' power so that they can only be on when the key is on. As for the brake light, I added two LED lights (6 leds in each light) to my brakes long ago and just wired them direct into the existing brake light line. No issues.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Looks like the brake light is sorted. I will use those posi-taps and wire directly.

If I do use the switch for the front lights, would I need to use a separate relay? The wires on the aux lights are pretty small (and they are only 8 watts), so I am assuming power going through the switch will be OK?

Thanks.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
If I do use the switch for the front lights, would I need to use a separate relay? The wires on the aux lights are pretty small
well, I guess it all depends on what "pretty small" means. Wire gauge size is dependent on amps drawn by the lights. There are a number of web sites that discuss 12 volt wire gauge for loads. One option is 12 Volt Wiring: Wire Gauge to Amps | Offroaders.com Their pretty colored table factors in length of wire for voltage drops. Watts=Volts x Amps. Personally, I would not think a relay would be needed for 8 watt LED lights. Others on this forum know more than I do -- hopefully they'll chime in.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

16 watts is well under 2 amps, so you could take power off the heated grip connector, or even the Aux connector in the front cowling. EB makes cables for both of these if you just want to plug in. The wire to the horn is switched positive (hot with ignition on), so that would be another option.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #7 of 11 Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

I wired my aux lights to the unused headlight connection, after installing the headlight relay kit. The EB relay kit only uses one of the original headlight connections, so I used the other for the lights. I wanted mine to come on with high beams. I didn't use a relay because I went from a 55 watt bulb to 16 watts worth of LED's.

2018 Goldwing DCT Tour
2013 V-Strom 650
post #8 of 11 Old 02-21-2018, 04:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Why not instead of Eastern Beaver kit replace OEM bulbs with LED bulbs. After that you don't need the kit and for left over money you can get aux LED lights.
richlandrick likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I am not a big fan of LED headlights. I had some on my last bike, and I found the OEM lights to be brighter. I am sure some newer LEDs would be better that what I had, but I just wasn't a fan. Mind you, I don't ride at night much, so maybe LED headlights will do the trick. Something to think about for sure.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Agree with switch in case you want off completely.
Here is what I did...
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...ts-hookup.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode