Handguards: Disadvantages of Barkbuster Storms over OEM - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Lightbulb Handguards: Disadvantages of Barkbuster Storms over OEM

I'm just getting into riding and am looking for a pair of handguards to get me out there in the cold.

I've searched and read many threads that point to BB Storms over OEM as a better choice...but I'm wondering what disadvantages are there by choosing them over OEM, if any?

Some things of interest I can think of when shopping for handguards:

- Optimal Wind protection in cold weather.
- Ease of removal to allow air flow for hot weather.
- Possibly reuse on next bike purchase (or future generation of Vstrom!).
- Crash protection for hands and levers.
- Aesthetics

Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-02-2018, 10:21 PM
MrF
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I was down to deciding between the OEM and BB Storms as well and wound up going with the BB Storms. What did it for me was the aluminum bar in the Barkbusters for impact protection. The OEM guards are just plastic. The plastic parts of the Barkbusters (and maybe the aluminum bar too) are a common part for all bikes. I'm pretty sure the only thing you'd need to transfer them to another bike would be the small brackets on the inboard end, and the right size spacer for the bar ends.

The OEM guards looked like they'd be a little easier to pop on and off when the weather warms up, but the Barkbusters aren't that bad. Two bolts per hand guard and they're off. I've never ridden with the OEMs, so I can't speak to wind protection. The BBs are fine, but I have some issues with still getting some cold air on my fingers below about 30°F.

Good luck!
reasonable likes this.

2016 V-Strom 650
post #3 of 23 Old 02-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Add the GL Bushwackers to the Bark Busters and you will block lot more wind.
Looks goofy as hell but nice in the cold.
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...s-hand-guards/

post #4 of 23 Old 02-02-2018, 11:52 PM
MrF
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I was leaning towards hippo hands, but that's a good looking option too.

2016 V-Strom 650
post #5 of 23 Old 02-03-2018, 06:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

As noted, the OEM handguards are just plastic shields and only offer wind protection. The Barkbusters require removal of the bar-end weight in order to install the aluminum bar that you want for had / lever protection (no guarantees in a wreck). You can run with / without the plastic shields that attach to the aluminum bar.

I've dropped the 650XT twice now without any lever damage (<3mph). Probably dropped the KLR 30-times in last 12 yrs without lever damage (<7mph) except for one time trying to navigate over big round rocks washed down the mountain from a 2011 hurricane. Broke the clutch lever off inside the perch. Was carrying a spare lever and tools to change out. Use vise grips to complete the clutch safety switch circuit to run the 15 miles back out to camp and finish the work properly.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No advantage IMHO for OEM handguards compared to barkbusters or similar, one only blocks the wind and bugs, the other does that PLUS protects your levers and hands.
B-Mac, Sappuer and kd70qc like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #7 of 23 Old 02-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Oem are only good for blocking wind and even on hot days 100 degrees i never thought about removing them for more air...my core heat was what was the issue. I had the full hippohands and they do work great but were to cumbersome to store on the bike when not in use. I got bb storms because as I did with my klr you can break a lever just tipping over at a stoplight. I recently switched to these and am very happy and will leave them on over the bb all year. http://www.obradvgear.com/index.php/...duro-grip-mitt

BOYCOTT Photobucket!
post #8 of 23 Old 02-03-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
Oem are only good for blocking wind and even on hot days 100 degrees i never thought about removing them for more air...my core heat was what was the issue. I had the full hippohands and they do work great but were to cumbersome to store on the bike when not in use. I got bb storms because as I did with my klr you can break a lever just tipping over at a stoplight. I recently switched to these and am very happy and will leave them on over the bb all year. Enduro ¾ Grip Mitt
Whoa those look awesome for more protection from the wind!

Are they 'Windstopper' material, or windproof?
Do you leave the steel bar from the Storms for protection?
post #9 of 23 Old 02-03-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrF View Post
I was leaning towards hippo hands, but that's a good looking option too.
I'm just starting to look into these now and they look great. So a good setup for winter highway commuting (15F+ in mornings) could be BB Storms plus Hippo Hands?

I wonder what's the most optimal...Youtube reviews, here I come...
post #10 of 23 Old 02-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

I recently purchased and installed the OEM hand guards on my Vee2 followed by the chance to ride in 40 degree then 27 degree weather. The OEM guards seemed to roll the cold air onto the back of my hands / wrist which was quite painful after a few miles. Turning up the heat on the Oxfords was useless in this scenario. I actually had to put a pair of mittens on to make it home.

So hindsight being what it is...I would not have purchased these had I been forewarned,my bad for not doing enough research and impulse buying at the dealer.

My current plan in make a small airfoil for the tops of the guard to see if I can redirect the airflow. It's been too cold here to experiment and I generally avoid the salt encrusted roads this time of year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode