Serious buzzing at 5K RPM - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Serious buzzing at 5K RPM

I guess it is time to replace the o-rings on the Givi engine guards. Yesterday, every time I hit 5K I got this berserk wind chime buzz.

Has anyone tried plugs of silicone or something to reduce the vibration? These o-rings don't seem to last very long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsmiling View Post
I guess it is time to replace the o-rings on the Givi engine guards. Yesterday, every time I hit 5K I got this berserk wind chime buzz.

Has anyone tried plugs of silicone or something to reduce the vibration? These o-rings don't seem to last very long.
Glad you posted this. I have the same issue with my 2016 650 and Givi engine guards. That buzzing is so annoying and the only issue I have with the bike. Hoping someone has a simple long term solution.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Took about 15 minutes to replace the o-rings. When this set goes I'm thinking of slathering the connecting pin with silicon sealant as well. See if that lasts longer.
Big B likes this.

Last edited by iamsmiling; 01-29-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: sp

post #4 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsmiling View Post
Took about 15 minutes to replace the o-rings. When this set goes I'm thinking of slathering the connecting pin with silicon sealant as well. See if that lasts longer.
I took me 3 attempts to achieve a lasting solution. First, I used rubber washers. They were a bit thicker than the O-rings. Second, I wrapped the connecting pin with wire so it wouldn't have room to vibrate. Last, I wrapped the wire & pin with electrical tape and a light coat of oil. I did this so it would slide into the racks easier. This has worked for about a year and half.

Best regards,

V Strom 650, KLR 650
post #5 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 08:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Earlier this afternoon I removed the bolt assembly and added a rubber washer to one side of the casing, wasn't enough room on both sides. I then put a rubber washer between the washer and outside casing and used blue locktite on the bolt. That eliminated the noise. Will see how long it lasts. One of the things I love about the Vstrom is how little buzzing it has compared to the 2008 Versys(s) I've had. Thanks for the inputs and thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 08:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had a Weld86 skid plate and put a flat metal brace from it to the crossbar near that joint using a metal cable clamp to attach to the bar. By changing the resonant frequency of the crash bar "system", this moved the rpm of the buzzing and also greatly reduced the intensity. May or may not work with other skid plates.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #7 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
When I pulled the one side off, the connecting pin showed bare metal areas right by the center ring, perhaps 1/8" square so I assume the noise came from that area (where the o-rings had been. My replacements are thicker than the stock ones. We'll just have to see how long they last.
slipstream likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
I had a Weld86 skid plate and put a flat metal brace from it to the crossbar near that joint using a metal cable clamp to attach to the bar. By changing the resonant frequency of the crash bar "system", this moved the rpm of the buzzing and also greatly reduced the intensity. May or may not work with other skid plates.
I'd like to see a pict of what you did. I notice a slight buzz at 5k also but it is very mild and maybe has always been there on my swmotech bars but when i ran bags on the crash bars it made it more intense so I got rid of the bags. There are endless threads on this stuff especially coming form klr land. I agree it is a frequency thing and can be modified.

Having the correct torque values can have a big affect on this.

BOYCOTT Photobucket!
post #9 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 10:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Engine guard brace

Here is a pic of the bracket I installed. I also had inner tube where the pieces join. These are the stock guards - it just occurred to me the Givi may be completely different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4450.jpg (13.2 KB, 32 views)

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold

Last edited by G-Dub; 01-29-2018 at 10:14 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-29-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Well, it is back together and I failed to take pictures. The bolt at the front that cinches the two sides together has a fixed spacer in the middle so what I think happens is when the o-rings fail there is enough of a gap for the tubes to vibrate at the edge where they meet the pin.

DL650 V-Strom '12-16' : TN3101 ENGINE GUARDS

Item 3 on the parts list is what they call the nipple (not pin).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode