Thoughts on Delkevic exhaust for my 2012 DL650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 Old 01-26-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thoughts on Delkevic exhaust for my 2012 DL650

I really like my 2012 DL650 Adventure. It may not be the perfect bike, but it's long been paid for, and dang it, it does so many things so very well that I can't yet justify trading up. Having said that, the one characteristic of the bike I've never appreciated is the v-twin motor sounding like a sewing machine. This mid-50 year old has always believed that motorcycles are made to be heard (within reason) and the Strom's v-twin exhaust has been restricted almost to the point of being laughable.

I've long wanted a new exhaust for the bike, but I've been unwilling to plunk down $700+ just to get the bike to sound right. I finally decided to do something about the exhaust and after a fair amount of time searching online and finding relatively little Delkevic exhaust info for the DL650, I decided to gamble $250 on one of their pipes and I thought I'd post my findings so that others could learn from my experience.

What I ordered from Delkevic USA | Motorcycle Mufflers | Slip-on Silencers | Exhaust Systems
- 18" STAINLESS STEEL OVAL MUFFLER TO FIT DL650 V-STROM (2012-2016)
- Product Code = KIT06H2
- Price = $224.95

Here's a quick summary of my thoughts:

Pros:
- Quick shipping
- Pipe was packaged well - no damage
- Quality of materials seems very good - (actually surprised given the price I paid)
- High quality fit and finish (if you like polished T304 stainless steel)
- O2 sensor bung is threaded correctly and in the right position
- Good quality mounting hardware (pipe clamps and can strap)
- Pipe IS compatible with an SW Motech center stand
- Pipe IS compatible with the SW Motech luggage racks that Suzuki chose for the Adventure model
- Nice deep, throaty sound
- Muffler baffle is easily removable
- IMHO, can sounds best with the baffle removed

Cons:
- Pipe *IS NOT* compatible with the Enduro Guardian skid plate system (had to cut rear bracket and notch skid plate to get mine to fit)
- Highly polished stainless steel (unless you like that look)
- No installation instructions ship with the pipe - need to search both the delkevic.us and delkevic.co.uk web sites

Thoughts on Installation:
- If using an Enduro Guardian skid plate, you will be forced to remove the rear bracket before you can remove and replace the factory exhaust. It sucked installing that bracket the first time and it sucks twice as much to have to remove and replace it again. Not EG's fault and I want to be clear that Jann makes/made a bomb-proof product - doesn't alter the fact that this process is a PITA!
- You'll want to completely remove the front cylinder's exhaust down tube - makes factory exhaust removal a breeze
- Clamp for rear cylinder's exhaust down tube is accessed from the left side of the bike. You'll likely need to use a couple of socket extenders to get to it.
- I was not able to fit the extender pipe all the way onto the rear cylinder down tube with the bike on the center stand and the swing arm hanging all the way down. Delkevic recommends you use a "race style" swing arm support to lift the rear of the bike. As I only had the center stand to support the bike, I was able to achieve the necessary clearance to move the tube all the way onto the rear down tube once I threw a tiedown strap across the back seat and used it to raise the swing arm up a couple of inches.
- Delkevic ships the exhaust components with a tube of red high-temp silicone. Use it liberally on all exhaust slip fittings.
- This is not a 2-3 hour job. Plan a whole Saturday, take your time and you'll be rewarded with a very decent exhaust system with a rich sound for a relatively small amount of money.

* OEM pipe is no longer available - found a good home with another Stromtrooper. *
MariusD likes this.

2012 DL650A Adv.

Last edited by mattski1; 02-22-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 01-26-2018, 11:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm glad it sounds better but I wonder if it increased power or mileage? Your thoughts?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these tings to other people and I require the same from them."
John Bernard Books The Shoootist
post #3 of 72 Old 01-26-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

No discernible increase in power and none was expected. Given today's quality of factory engineering, I seriously doubt whether any slip-on system is capable of increasing HP. I haven't modified the intake or changed the fuel mapping, so no change in mileage is expected either.

2012 DL650A Adv.

post #4 of 72 Old 01-27-2018, 12:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
How about some pics? Is it louder or just better sounding?
Thanks for the review!
post #5 of 72 Old 01-27-2018, 02:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Any particular reason u picked the 18in version? I know they have a number of different sizes, and the 18in is the biggest and heaviest if I remember right. Very curious.

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)
post #6 of 72 Old 01-27-2018, 06:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

So , what happens if you give away your stock exhaust and later you decide you are tired of the Delkevic ? What if you decide to sell your bike ? Lot's of people have second thoughts on a used bike with aftermarket exhaust. A buyer will AT LEAST want the oem exhaust along with the purchase. It might be a good idea to store it in the Delkevic box and hold on to it. I put Delkevic duals on my '12 DL1000 and after a just a few miles they were a bit too loud so I sold them to a member and put the stock muffs back on . I sold the '12 and bought a '16 which has a solo exhaust so they would not have been usable any way. The '16 has a single Arrow muffler and the stock muff is in the box on the shelf. Just in case. I've disposed of items before and regretted it.
eagleeye and VstromGrin like this.

2014 DL1000 - Sold
2010 Triumph Scrambler- Sold
2014 KLR650 - Sold
2017 Honda CRF250L - current
2016 Honda VFR1200X - current
post #7 of 72 Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I installed a Delkevic on a previous bike and really liked it. They are nicely made and reasonably priced. I have considered it for this bike.
I would be interested in your feedback on the need to remap. I know they state that its not needed but recommend getting the bike dynoded. I didn't want to also invest in a tuning module.
post #8 of 72 Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritzmire View Post
I installed a Delkevic on a previous bike and really liked it. They are nicely made and reasonably priced. I have considered it for this bike.
I would be interested in your feedback on the need to remap. I know they state that its not needed but recommend getting the bike dynoded. I didn't want to also invest in a tuning module.
I should clarify my question about remapping ..... any apparent difference in engine behaviour, popping, etc ?
post #9 of 72 Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrompat View Post
Is it louder or just better sounding?
It's both louder and MUCH better sounding. I've had V&H pipes on sport bikes and it's no where near that shrill or loud. The bike now sounds like a baritone or bass v-twin should (if you know what I mean).
MariusD likes this.

2012 DL650A Adv.
post #10 of 72 Old 01-27-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Any particular reason u picked the 18in version? I know they have a number of different sizes, and the 18in is the biggest and heaviest if I remember right. Very curious.
I really debated the differences between the 14" and the 18". I also debated the tri-oval vs. carbon can. In the end, this was a bit of a gamble given the lack of info I could find online. I ultimately chose the 18" for two reasons: a) I use my luggage on a fairly regular basis and I didn't want the shorter muffler spewing carbon onto the back of the pelican case; and b) while I wanted the bike to sound deeper and louder, I thought the shorter can might be a bit too loud.

Truth is, Delkevic's cans are cheap enough and appear to be totally interchangable. If I tire of the longer can (unlikely), I could easily buy and mount a shorter model.
jsrocket469 and MariusD like this.

2012 DL650A Adv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode