Farkle disaster! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Farkle disaster!

Okay, so maybe the post title is a bit dramatic, but I feel like a real idiot for having made such a stupid mistake.

Here's what I was trying to do: Install 2" Rox risers by re-routing all cables behind the triple tree.

What actually happened: I removed the handlebars. Then, I:

1. Removed the upper fork clamp bolts on both sides.
2. Removed the stem bolt from the triple tree.
3. Removed both fork caps from both forks, which caused the spring tension to release, the collar springs to pop out and the front of the bike to drop dramatically (lost one seat for the spring as well, which you can see in the photo).

Here's a photo of the parts I'm working with:

https://ibb.co/b12JRb

Here's a photo of the bare fork springs:

https://ibb.co/cAigew

Here's a photo of the bike with dropped suspension:

https://ibb.co/iULSKw

How do I fix it?

1. First and foremost, how do I re-install the fork caps and restore the right amount of tension in the front suspension?

2. Once that's done, what am I doing wrong in terms of removing the triple tree? Why wouldn't it come up?

Live and learn...Thanks for your help.

Dave

Last edited by davidp80; 01-06-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Call me 509-539-2288

It's no where near a disaster. The bike is still upright and nothing shown is unrecoverable.

To get started, you need to support the bike so that there is no weight on the front wheel.

I see you have a skid pan. You can support the bike from under the skid pan. I think I see a center stand under there. If so you can use that by heavily weighting the back of the bike.

After the weight is off the wheel reinstall the fork washers, spacers, and caps. The pressure on the springs is determined by the spacer size and the pre-load adjusters in the caps.
Big B, jsrocket469, SECoda and 2 others like this.

Last edited by richlandrick; 01-06-2018 at 07:32 PM.
post #3 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

FRONT FORKS-Susp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp80 View Post

1. First and foremost, how do I re-install the fork caps and restore the right amount of tension in the front suspension?

2. Once that's done, what am I doing wrong in terms of removing the triple tree? Why wouldn't it come up?

Live and learn...Thanks for your help.

Dave
PM me your email and I'll send you some relevant FORK pages in .PDF from the shop manual

post #4 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The first thing I would do is jam rag in the exposed fork tubes to prevent water or bugs getting in there.

1. You cannot replace the spacer, seat and fork cap with the forks compressed.

You will need to lift the bike so that the forks are fully extended. As you were working outside I assume that you have no garage so cannot use an A-frame beam to lift the bike.
You will need the help of some mates to prevent dropping the bike and get it up on the main stand.

When on the main stand the bike sits on its front wheel. You need to lift the front of the bike so that your front wheel is in the air. Do not use the handlebars for this as you will need to remove them to re-install the springs, caps etc.

In a perfect world you should empty and replace the fork oil but I doubt that you have the equipment to do that.

2. The triple tree would not come up because the bike was on it's side stand causing lateral loads which jammed it in place.

p.s. You should really have removed the cables etc. and moved them into a new routing.
SECoda and EddieFL like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks so much for your help, Rick! I'll give you a ring in the coming days. Much appreciated.

PM sent, @2013VEE650 . Thank you.

I covered the bike to prevent water and bugs getting into the tubes, @Brockie . Good thought.

I have a center stand, and so I'm hoping that weighting the back of the bike will be enough to get the rear tire in the air. So in order to lift the triple tree, I just need to remove the stem bolt and put the bike on the center stand?

Thanks everyone!
post #6 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

David,

you got all good advise! You need to get help to get the bike upright and on the centerstand as the first step! It may be possible to put a 2x2 through the crashbars so two guys could lift it and put it on the centerstand. Once on the stand you can use a hydraulic car jack carefully under the skid plate to lift the front end. Or any other method to get the front up including someone heavy sitting on the back pannier platform. Whatever you do make sure that the centerstand does not collapse while you are fighting with the bike so to be sure tie it to the crashbar so it can't go back.

Once you have the bike front lifted all you have to do is re-install the spacers, washers and the caps. Make sure not to cross-thread the caps when pushing the spring down. Note: The forks MUST BE fully extended, means the front wheel must be just off the ground!!! Just install the caps carefully and all is well again. Careful the caps are Aluminum and easily butchered up.

Then you should be able to get back to re-routing your cables :-)
Brockie likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #7 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:

I have a center stand, and so I'm hoping that weighting the back of the bike will be enough to get the rear tire in the air. So in order to lift the triple tree, I just need to remove the stem bolt and put the bike on the center stand?

Thanks everyone!
Read what I wrote. If you don't understand, ask.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #8 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@blaustrom - Thanks. Understood in regards to getting the bike up and prepared for working on the forks.

For removing the triple tree: I removed a few clamp bolts on the forks before proceeding with removing the stem bolt and the fork caps, but being that I didn't try lifting the triple tree while the bike was on the center stand, I'm wondering what I actually need to remove to lift it up so that I can re-route the cables for the risers. Is it just the stem bolt that needs removed?
post #9 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Thanks so much for your help, Rick! I'll give you a ring in the coming days. Much appreciated.

PM sent, @2013VEE650 . Thank you.

I covered the bike to prevent water and bugs getting into the tubes, @Brockie . Good thought.

Thanks everyone!
NO!! Do not touch the stem bolt until the front wheel is elevated!

And probably not even then. I recommend that you disconnect the cables and move them to where you want them.
Interfering with the upper triple clamp MIGHT alter the bearing adjustment. I find that tightening down the stem bolt can affect the bearing lash - even though the bolt underneath is not adjusted.
Big B and richlandrick like this.

post #10 of 46 Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
@blaustrom - Thanks. Understood in regards to getting the bike up and prepared for working on the forks.

For removing the triple tree: I removed a few clamp bolts on the forks before proceeding with removing the stem bolt and the fork caps, but being that I didn't try lifting the triple tree while the bike was on the center stand, I'm wondering what I actually need to remove to lift it up so that I can re-route the cables for the risers. Is it just the stem bolt that needs removed?
The visible stem bolt holds the upper triple clamp in place but underneath is the steering head bearings adjustor bolt. I highly recommend that you leave that alone.
Blaustrom is correct in that you will need help to get the bike carefully up onto the main stand. Almost the full weight of the bike will need to be lifted - impossible for one person.
I'd suggest that you then re-tighten the fork tube pinch bolts that you have loosened.

Disconnect your cables to re-route them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode