Okay, so maybe the post title is a bit dramatic, but I feel like a real idiot for having made such a stupid mistake.
Here's what I was trying to do:
Install 2" Rox risers by re-routing all cables behind the triple tree.
What actually happened:
I removed the handlebars. Then, I:
1. Removed the upper fork clamp bolts on both sides.
2. Removed the stem bolt from the triple tree.
3. Removed both fork caps from both forks, which caused the spring tension to release, the collar springs to pop out and the front of the bike to drop dramatically (lost one seat for the spring as well, which you can see in the photo).
Here's a photo of the parts I'm working with:
Here's a photo of the bare fork springs:
Here's a photo of the bike with dropped suspension:
How do I fix it?
1. First and foremost, how do I re-install the fork caps and restore the right amount of tension in the front suspension?
2. Once that's done, what am I doing wrong in terms of removing the triple tree? Why wouldn't it come up?
Live and learn...Thanks for your help.