Farkle disaster! - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 Old 03-09-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Update to this post:

I managed to get the forks back together without too much difficulty. Thanks to everyone for your help and support.

Still feel torn about the best way to go about getting the risers on. Will I have to deal with the brake fluid in disconnecting everything at the bars?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 03-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You can at least try removing the bars and TOP triple tree to reroute the cables. Leave the bottom fork pinch bolts tight to avoid another type of collapse. Undoing the silver brake line holder on the lower end of the line helps give a little slack for running the line up the right side. 2" risers might be a stretch, but its at least worth a try while keeping things sealed.
post #33 of 46 Old 03-10-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@kjeck : Yeah...am thinking that I should have picked up the 1" risers, which I think would have done the job as well.

Any other thoughts from anyone else? Am mainly curious about having to deal with the brake fluid in removing cables from the bars at this point if I went that route.

Thanks!

post #34 of 46 Old 03-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Its not that big of an issue to disconnect the brake lines. Good time to flush your fluid while your at it. A MightyVac, available at most auto parts stores, is a great addition to a tool set.It can be used for many other jobs too! Make sure you sand the sealing washers with a 100 grit piece of sand paper to get them flat again to seal at the calipers/master cylinder. Just be careful to not spill fluid on your bodywork. It will remove paint if you don't clean it up quickly with-soap/warm water. Might I also suggest longer brake lines at this time. That way you can do all the raising you want and not change the routing of the lines. That way if, down the line, you want to change bars to a higher set you will be good to go. 2" longer lines are popular with many doing risers or higher bars. You can upgrade to braided steel for not too much $$$.
http://www.adventuretech.biz/2-brake-line-options.html

http://www.toolpan.com/Mityvac-MV800...All%20Products
madstrom likes this.

Last edited by SpudBob; 03-10-2018 at 02:02 PM.
post #35 of 46 Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm starting to think the easiest solution would be to raise the forks 15mm and get smaller risers that are designed to bring the bars back, rather than raise them up.

I really only need the bars to come back about 1/2 to 1 inch to meet my needs, so maybe the 2 inch risers are a bit overkill.

In raising the forks, it might be a pretty easy install.

Thoughts?
post #36 of 46 Old 03-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

These are the "style" bar backs I have. They required no additional length cables/hoses/wires. I didn't add longer brake lines till I lengthened my forks 1&1/4. Good Luck!

UNIVERSAL OFF SET HANDLE BAR RISERS [4008 MCL78UNIV-OS] - $89.98 : MotorCycleLarry.com, Wholesale Parts Factory Direct
Kinda cool these ones have RAM ball mount holes. Never seen that!
post #37 of 46 Old 03-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

i installed 2 risers on two different Wee stroms. 1 was a 1" up and back and the other was up and back about 1 1/2 inch. Neither over stretched the cablers of brake lines.
You may have to take the lines fee from the guides the factory ran them in.
I had to reroute the lines on my F800 BMW but it worked with Rox risers with little complication.
I got mine here on the forum from a fellow member. Such a deal!
post #38 of 46 Old 03-14-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, @SpudBob ! I'll check those out.

@notacop : Do you have raised forks on your stroms?

Dave
post #39 of 46 Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Managed to get the 2" Rox Risers on this afternoon after raising the forks 12mm! I don't think I could have done it without that. Raising the forks took all of about 15 minutes once I knew how to do it (some good posts on this forum). The risers are angled almost directly back. I really didn't need much additional height in the bars.

The throttle cable is a little tight at a full left turn but I don't think it's dangerously so. I just removed a few cables from their lower guides and I'm not totally sure that was even necessary.

Happy to call this done! I learned a lot in the process, and nicked up the bars a bit in the midst of taking everything apart and putting everything back together several times, but no real damage was done.

Pros:

1. I can now sit fully upright as the bars come back to meet my hands. My arms are bent at the elbow in a relaxed way.
2. In raising the forks 12mm, I can get my feet on the ground just a bit more. Still not flat foot, but nearly so on both feet. This is perfect as I intend to add an Airhawk seat soon which I know will add additional height.
3. In lowering the front end, I now get a better viewing angle in the mirrors (I had previously added extenders and even at full tilt, the view was a little less than ideal).

Cons:

1. The bike is slightly harder to get up on the center stand, and I wasn't all that comfortable with it to begin with, but this is a minor fault in the face of the added benefits.

Happy all-around! Now, will just have to see how it rides....Most seem to love the new feel of the bike after raising the forks, but I'll have to see for myself.

Thanks all for the help with this project! Next up is adding a few USB ports so that I can charge my phone on the go. I recently picked up a Givi tank bag and look forward to storing electronics inside there as I ride.

P.S. Special thanks to Richland Rick for chatting with me a few times on the phone while putting the forks back together. He was super patient and always helpful. Thanks, Rick!
madstrom, Brockie and wingstrom like this.

Last edited by davidp80; 03-16-2018 at 06:35 PM.
post #40 of 46 Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Instead of the Airhawk consider a Sit&Fly cover. Not as thick, distributes pressure, keeps your behind dry in rain and cool when its hot

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode