StromTrooper banner

feeling really bad about the stator recall

10K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  VstromGrin 
#1 · (Edited)
How can you test if the stator recall was done ?

Took it in to the biggest dealer in Ottawa for suzuki to have the recall done.
The mechanic kept insisting I should get extra needless parts while I had it in. The bike has only 3500 km on it.

After getting the bike back I found after a short drive oil dripping from the bottom of the engine , only 3500km!

The oil bolt in the bottom had some odd washer screw on it that kept it from being completely sealed.

I guess all the oil would have come out and the engine sized. The dealer would have declared it a write off.

Now how do I know that this dealer did the recall on my bike?

How do I know that he did not swap a bunch of bad parts onto my bike from his trash can.

I will never go to that dealer again for anything as I suspect them of sabotaging my bike and risking my life so he can make money on me.

Can I write a letter to suzuki about the underhanded shawdy service I got from one of their dealers?

I also do not trust the original dealer from were I bought the bike but I got away from them.

Why am I always the victim in this? I did not want the recall , now my new bike may be a piece of shiiiiiit.:furious:

sorry but this is really getting to me ,

See less See more
#2 ·
There must be some reputable good dealers out there as well. Maybe someone here can chime in with some suggestions

Did you ask for the changed out alternator back?

Is there evidence of a new gasket and cleaned flange indicating that they had the case open?

What specifically did the dealer suggest to get done while they were in there?

#3 ·
Maybe the dealer just failed to properly tighten the drain plug so the crush washer didn't get flattened. The proper stator has a silver band near the end of the wire cover . The original stator has a white band.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys , I'm going to check the wire thing out and i'll post a picture of the oil plug and washer thingy on it that did not screw in. ps Were is that wire located on the bike ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yiD8FYb3Eo

I'm just too upset to think straight about it .

The first recall my bike had less than 4k on it so all the valves should have been changed ? how do you check that if its been done. That dealer demanded payment on the first service even though the purchase contract stated they were to pay for it. Once they pulled out their copy I was proved right . I'm really getting to hate the dealer interface for all my vehicles as there seems to be so much dorking the customer going on...?

The correct oil washer seems to be a flat ring of softish metal that crushes in place between the bolt and the oil pan bottom. The washer they put on was a much ticker and larger thing oval in cross cut that did not seem to be even holding , at first I thought that the bolt had been cross threaded 09168-12002.

When I asked the dealer I bought it from they do not give customers the old parts ( makes you speculate and wonder why? eh)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KF...ash=item236b06b362:g:xeYAAOSwZjJU3dcK&vxp=mtr

#5 ·
The dealer can't give the customer the old parts in a recall. They have to go to Suzuki or some authority. Dealers can get into big trouble with the government if they don't do the work on a recall. Turning in the old part may be required for proof. I highly doubt anybody would take the chance.

#8 ·
2012-2016.

#10 ·
A picture is probably worth more than the proverbial thousand words in this case.

#11 ·
In summation I checked the wire and the tag on it is silver so the stator was changed , wheew

I'm going to change the filter and put in fresh oil , just gotta get a proper oil plug washer .

Thanks i'm going to look into the local group here to check things out.

I know the dealer was all gung ho about changing the oil filter but the one I had had less than 1000 kilometers on it so far and suzuki make good filters , oh well. I had said no.

#14 · (Edited)
Why change the oil and filter if there's only 1000km on it? They changed the stator. Checking the oil level is part of pre ride checks, so there's little chance of riding without oil. Bring back the bike if they used the wrong washer, they'll replace it. But I suspect it just wasn't torqued all the way. My dealer said they didn't drain the oil.. Just opened the cover, replaced the stator and then topped off the oil.

Why is there only 1000km on the filter with the bike at 3500km? It should have had an oil and filter change at 1000km, next one is at 6000km.

Can you post a picture of the oil drain screw?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

#17 · (Edited)
The cable end with the sticker is near the regulator/rectifier. There's probably an angle you can see it without removing the tank though a mechanic's mirror may help. It will be under the front of the tank on the right side. If you had the recall done, the likelihood is astonishingly small that it wasn't replaced. Recall documentation is extensive and penalties for non compliance are real.

#19 ·
The dealer could not sell the bike unless the work had been done.

#20 ·
The dealer has to show you or give you the old parts in Ontario. That has been Law since the late 80's. Even warranty parts required by the manufacturer (stator must be shown to you if you request to see it.)
Suzuki .ca have a great feedback and question interface on their sight. When I bought my Wee I had them check that the stator recall was done and they responded within 24 hrs telling me that it had been done and where. I would use this "talk to us feature to let Suzuki know about your experience with one of their dealers.
Hope this helps and good luck

#22 ·
You're not the only victim in this.

My Wee was perfectly fine...had it on several road trips, 21,000 miles...when I had it in for the recall.

Shop didn't do it right.

It came apart on the next road trip. Out of that came expense, panic, bad feels, some lost luggage...and bad vibes over the NEXT road trip, and whether I'll even take one.

There's a key feature here; and it's PROBLEM DEALERSHIPS.

The shop that repaired the repairs was NOT a Suzuki dealership. There was one down the road, but he couldn't even squeeze me in for two weeks at least.

The shop was a Kawasaki dealership; they had some experience with Suzukis and had a good working relationship with the local dealer (local to him; I was far from home). That is, the dealership that was too busy for me.

This, after some minor problems with the camshaft recall. Wires were left unhooked and lights and horn dead, when I got it back from THAT.

Two different Suzuki dealers. Two different fa-cops.

Other Suzi dealers are closing.

I'd say the problem is, who's selling and servicing Suzukis, and who is getting out, and why.

#23 ·
Does anyone have any tips or advice on which kind of dealerships should be favored for getting a stator recall taken care of?

I just bought a '14 that hasn't had the stator replaced and want to make sure that it gets taken care of properly, without extra problems created...

#24 ·
I've been reading about this stator recall since buying my bike last week. I plan to talk to the dealer Tuesday when they reopen, but would appreciate any input in the meantime.
The bike is a 2016 DL650A, bought new, so presumably has been sitting on the showroom floor for about a year and a half. It's one of three I had been considering for the past couple months, but since the dealer has had them for so long I hope the recall has already been done, especially as was pointed out it could not legally be sold otherwise.
I checked a website for Suzuki motorcycles and keyed in my VIN and it said there were no recalls for this motorcycle. Production date is 9/15. Is that after the affected dates?

#28 ·
Production date is 9/15. Is that after the affected dates?
What does it say when you type in your VIN in at this link? Suzuki Cycles - Recalls

I wanted to see if the bike I just purchased had the recalls done...it shows no pending recalls for the bike, so it's been taken care of.

#25 ·
You're probably fine. Vehicles can't be sold in usa/Canada with uncompleted recalls.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Additional information : I can see the tape around the harness going to the rectifier. It's a bit difficult to tell the exact color, (for me, anyway), but in contrast to the white wire next to the yellow wires, that tape strip is a shade darker than white, so I'm going to say it's silver. Also, it has the numbers 17G1 6J31 if that provides any info.
Thanks in advance for any information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.