StromTrooper banner

DL650 - Taking apart the windscreen fairing.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  spike55_bmw 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I couldn't find a youtube vid that would've explained to me how to do what im asking for.
I want to gain access to the back side of the fairing(plastics) that hold the wind-screen. (see image attached)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First take off the windscreen. If it has the extra deflector, it is almost $400 from Suzuki, so don't break it. Take the shelf off on the front of the tank that wraps around the steering head. Then you take off plastic around the instrument panel. Unplug the instrument panel and you'll have access to the headlights, etc.

Obviously it is more tedious. Take pictures, label some ziplok bags for the various pins, screws, bolts. If you get into it further like I did, there are a few screws / bolts are different on the left than the right.

A store-bought Suzuki service manual is approx $100. Broken plastic could be as much. Having a manual is no guarantee that plastic tabs / clips won't get broken but it gives you a fighting chance.

Attachments

#3 ·
Spike is correct in describing the removal of body panels as "tedious!"

As a noob dl650 owner, I just removed all the body panels to see what was involved, and also to do some wiring upgrades. I've never owned a bike with so many body parts and so many DIFFERENT fasteners! I found it helpful to remove all the fasteners I could locate, then I took the bike to my local dealer and had a tech demonstrate to me how much pressure and twisting to apply to remove the bodywork. In about 5 secs I got the pushing and pulling technique just by watching a pro. (I couldn't wait for my shop manual to arrive.)

The panels have a lot of interlocking plastic tabs to deal with. That said, the front part is fairly straightforward once you remove the visible fasteners, including the push-rivets. Some of the machine screws have short shoulders, some long, and some have none at all. Keeping track of their placement will make reassembly a breeze. I did a sketch of the forward panels in both front and rear views and kept the parts in Ziplocs for a month before I began putting it all back together.

By then my Shop Manual had arrived. The pix of disassembling the bodywork are a bit cryptic but the manual is a very worthwhile investment IMHO.

#4 ·
It is as if the panel manufacturer wasn't allowed to use a plastic molding machine that could do anything larger than what would fit in a 12" x 12" area.

Sometime I help work on pre-1996 air-cooled BMWs and counting the windscreen there might be four (4) major components covering the bike from the oil pan up to the rider's chin. But when you bust anything, then it is a bigger issue requiring fiberglass work / painting = $.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.