Weird battery voltage drain - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Weird battery voltage drain

Ok here is the situation........was starting to notice my battery voltage dropping below 12v when I turn on ignition and after the fuel pump primes. I know my on-board meter is accurate, and I can also tell by how weak the starter is turning over, that the voltage is most certainly correct. Really weird thing is that my voltage is below 12v even if I start immediately after unhooking my battery tender, I have also tried my spare charger and there was no change. So I bought a new battery in hopes that was the issue.......no change. Once the bike starts and I go ride for a bit, the standing voltage upon fuel pump prime and ignition on is "always" around 12.4 volts and the engine turns over like I would normally expect. I just disconnected my Zumo 390 from my "un-switched" circuit on the PC8, there is now nothing un-switched and going directly to the battery other than my pigtail lead for the battery charger. I am hoping it was the Zumo cradle somehow being a voltage vampire, there is what looks to be a voltage regulator for the Zumo as it doesn't hook directly to the battery. But.....why/how could that be a potential issue, when I am still seeing a voltage drain even after being hooked up to a battery tender? This only occurs after the bike has been sitting for at least 24 hours, whether hooked up to charger or not, after riding the voltage stays above 12 volts no problem at rest. Any ideas as to what in the hell is going on?? I have a new recalled stator, but still have the same OEM shunt R/R.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Wonder if pulling the negative batt terminal and measuring what the voltage is with the key off would help?
The clock and such is going to pull a little. That should be minimal though.
If there is a voltage, happy parasite searching.
Sometimes a pinched wire will take a while to flow the covering off the wire and cause a short. We used to get that with solenoids on the equipment. Guys weren't careful reinstalling the mounts.
post #3 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
What "really" confuses me is how/why would I still have a low standing voltage even after being plugged into battery tender? I guess there is a chance I have "2" bad wall chargers, anything is possible. LOL

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

post #4 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
My first guess would be the battery tender is malfunctioning. Are you not riding for weeks at a time? Once a month in winter storage is plenty. Are your readings okay if you don't use the tender?

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #5 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
My first guess would be the battery tender is malfunctioning. Are you not riding for weeks at a time? Once a month in winter storage is plenty. Are your readings okay if you don't use the tender?
Bike lately has been sitting for no longer than a week, I still have the drop whether hooked up or not, but the chargers should ensure my voltage is well above 12 volts. I will go out now and see how things look since I disconnected anything from the un-switched circuits. Once I go out riding, anytime throughout that day when I stop and re-start the bike, my voltages are always spot on......this just happens once it sits for at least 24 hours.

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

post #6 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Here are some voltages and things I just tried:

Standing voltage at battery with both Fluke meter and onboard meter: 13.1 volts
Voltage once ignition turned on with Fluke at battery: 11.9 volts
Running voltage at idle with both Fluke and onboard meter: 14.2 volts

I disconnected anything going to my PC8 to rule it out, made no difference. If I have 2 bad batteries somehow, that would be a first EVER. My original battery and the new one are giving me identical values, hence why I am so confused right now............I HATE electrical issues more than anything!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

post #7 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I am going to take the original OEM battery to the local parts store for load testing.

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

post #8 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I don't see any problem with those numbers. 11.9V with the ignition on and the engine not running is exactly what my bike got.
Big B and Supatramp like this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #9 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I wonder whether this is simply the difference between a cold battery (after the bike sat for a while, assuming you garage is cold) and a warm battery heated up by use and sitting atop of the engine?

I never paid much attention to the starting voltage, only the running voltage, so I have no data for cold vs warm battery. Is there a difference?
Big B likes this.
post #10 of 60 Old 03-07-2017, 01:22 PM
$tromtrooper

Your numbers seem OK to me. Here's a good video, about parasitic trouble shooting.
Big B and Rubline like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode