Stator Problem recall? - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

515Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
I wonder how up to date the votes are on a stator problem. It appears to not be an issue in some like the 2014-2016 DL1000?

Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - View Poll Results
Its not the same system, has a series R/R and the stator magnets are encapsulated unlike previous 1000's. I have no idea whether the stator is the same, but the R/R is most certainly not the shunt type "or is that shit type" which all other models and years have.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Whew - I think that means I am in the clear - at least on that one. lol

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)
post #23 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Mine Died but not on the list

I have a 2008 650. My stator died a few months ago (stranding me in the middle of the desert 50 miles from the nearest town - in the middle of the night!). And I feel like my R/R is not working properly either (maybe intermittently). But my bike is not on the list - and I do my own repairs, which means they probably wouldn't honor my reimbursement anyway based on their documentation requirements. While this is the only major issue on this bike in 100k miles, I'm still a doubly unhappy Trooper. Not enough to make me hate the bike, but enough to make me really pissed at Suzuki. The irony is that it would cost them less to reimburse home mechanics, since we shop for deals on parts and don't charge a markup...!!!

post #24 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromnickov View Post
I have a 2008 650. My stator died a few months ago (stranding me in the middle of the desert 50 miles from the nearest town - in the middle of the night!). And I feel like my R/R is not working properly either (maybe intermittently). But my bike is not on the list - and I do my own repairs, which means they probably wouldn't honor my reimbursement anyway based on their documentation requirements. While this is the only major issue on this bike in 100k miles, I'm still a doubly unhappy Trooper. Not enough to make me hate the bike, but enough to make me really pissed at Suzuki. The irony is that it would cost them less to reimburse home mechanics, since we shop for deals on parts and don't charge a markup...!!!
Install a waterproof digital voltmeter like so many of us already have done, you would've likely known there was an issue starting before you got stranded.
VSrider and SPlank like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #25 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Location: Northern NSW, Australia, in the border ranges foothills.
Thanks VTom. 'rang dealer at Nerang and was told I'll get a letter from Suzuki if my DLA's one of the recalls, it's only certain DOMs.
post #26 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brojon View Post
Interesting - I will now hold off on my regulator changeover.
I wonder if it's just a beefier stator or does it also involve a regulator change as well...
I doubt it would be a regulator, I am assuming they just recycling and rewinding the stators as they come in with thicker gauge.

Personally I'm in no hurry need to see how much bike draws now with lights and grips.

Visited provinces:

Visited states:
post #27 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 09:10 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I saw a picture of a late model replacement R/R somewhere. It has noticeably more insulation where the windings exited which is the typical burnout location. I doubt the copper is any different, The goal would be to prevent wires at that hot spot from contacting each other or ground.
cyclopathic likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #28 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

In the shop currently

2013 SV650 - 15,000 miles

My bike's currently in the shop for a burnt out stator. I used a portable jumper box to get me w/in 15 miles of home through the desert, 2 miles at time.

I asked the shop owner to order a replacement r/r as well. Parts alone are running me over $500. Since this is a known issue, it would be really nice for a recall to happen. So far my VIN hasn't shown up on suzuki's website.

Can anyone who's "been to the rodeo" before (this is my first motorcycle) advise as to how these things play out? That is, my replacement parts are on order; do I want to go through with the repairs ($$) and hope for a reimbursement or wait for Suzuki to make a move?

-Dave
post #29 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox.dei View Post
2013 SV650 - 15,000 miles

My bike's currently in the shop for a burnt out stator. I used a portable jumper box to get me w/in 15 miles of home through the desert, 2 miles at time.

I asked the shop owner to order a replacement r/r as well. Parts alone are running me over $500. Since this is a known issue, it would be really nice for a recall to happen. So far my VIN hasn't shown up on suzuki's website.

Can anyone who's "been to the rodeo" before (this is my first motorcycle) advise as to how these things play out? That is, my replacement parts are on order; do I want to go through with the repairs ($$) and hope for a reimbursement or wait for Suzuki to make a move?

-Dave
I think it is up to you talking to the dealer, talk to him about going recall and persuade. If he cares about your business and wants a happy customer he will call Suzuki and help you. You would also have to be nice to him, potentially buying some stuff from.

You could also try to call Suzuki directly and ask for advice good luck.
post #30 of 944 Old 12-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
I doubt it would be a regulator, I am assuming they just recycling and rewinding the stators as they come in with thicker gauge.
Having dissected two stators (post-mortem exams), I can say there is no practial way to get copper losses down by putting more of it on the stator poles. If the wire was a larger diameter, fewer turns would fit, inductance would go down, and, for a shunt regulated system, current being shunted would go up. The net results is identical current density. (I've worked this problem because a rewind to cure or mitigate seems attractive, and I was sick to the gills of pulling bad stators off my bike which I otherwise like.) There is just no more room in the winding window (which is not rectangular) for more copper if using uniform diameter wire or practical winding technique. If you could somehow stack a few more turns toward the outside end of the poles, it would fit into the window, but keeping it there while winding would be a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
Personally I'm in no hurry need to see how much bike draws now with lights and grips.
? If you have a series regulator, definitely use LED headlights if running heated grips or other heated gear. (I thought you were in California. Did winter come there?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode