StromTrooper banner

Whats this extra plug for?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Maxie 
#1 ·
I am betting its either for a battery trickle charger. Or, for heated clothing. Or maybe something else entirely.

Can anyone tell from the type of plug? And if not that way, what would tracing the wire tell me?

See less See more
#2 ·
To plug in a battery tender. It is also possible to use it for accessories with adapters. Usually goes straight to battery through a 10 amp fuse.

#3 ·
A dealer will sometimes put one on. It is not a Suzuki part.

#5 ·
Any advice on figuring out what it's for? I bought the bike used and would like to figure it out myself if possible. Could I use a volt meter and see if it goes on when the ignition is ON? How can I tell if it's for tickle charging or heated clothing? Or can one wire do both things? It has a nice cap on it so it seems designed to hang out in the elements when not in use.

#7 ·
Probably won't go on with the ignition since it likely goes straight to the battery. If you want to make double sure before you plug in a battery tender, pop the seat and see if attaches directly to the battery terminals. You can plug in accessories as long as you don't exceed the rating for the electrical system, something less than 10 amps. Also have to be sure and unplug or turn them off or you will run the battery down. Go to ebay and do a search for sae plug and you will find all sorts of adapters. For permanent accessories, there are better options than using this connector, though.

#8 · (Edited)
Once you remove the seat, you can follow the wire. It likely spreads into two ring terminals connected to your positive and negative terminals on the battery. The positive (red) one should also have a fuse inside a little rubber fuse holder (you can remove the cap and confirm what type, typically it will be 10 or 7.5). Because it connects directly to the battery terminal, it will always provide power, whether the bike is on or not. This is primarily intended as a place to connect a battery tender, to charge the bike in your garage when not riding; but as others said, it will do double duty as a connector for some accessories if they mate with the SAE-type plug. Battery tender also makes a small voltage meter, which you can buy for like $15, that plugs in and allows you to check the charge level of the battery.

#9 ·
Thanks for the very very helpful tips. I am interested in more farkles so getting both a battery charger and a USB adapter to charge my phone in a pinch look good.

On-topic questions about the Battery Tenders:

1. Whats the difference between the HE and regular junior models? Which one to get? My bike will be in an unheated garage in NY.
  2. Do i need a 6 volt or 12 volt model?

#10 ·
Definitely the 12 volt model. That's what your battery is. As for the charger, I have two different ones on my Wing and VStrom. The Battery Tender is a good one.

#11 ·
I went with the Battery Tender Plus, seems to be universally recognized as one of the best and I have nothing but praise. I use it on all the bikes as well as the battery for a car I don't drive very often.

#13 ·
That's a little extreme. Once night a week is plenty in hot weather. In cold weather, like when putting a bike up for snow season, one night a month is more than enough.

#14 ·
My tenders(plural) are plugged in 24-7 365. I've never had a problem hot summer or cold winter. My garage isn't heated or cooled. The tenders go into float mode when up to full charge. I travel for months at a time, sometimes summer and sometimes winter. Bikes, scooter, lawn tractor(2) and HD truck all sit(sometimes for months) with no one around to monitor or plug in or out. I use Stabile gas treatment in the fuels too. Oldest battery is the '08 dated battery in my wife's '09 Vino 125, starts fine. I lost 2 batteries($220) in my HD 4X4 pickup before I decided to buy battery tenders. They are a lot less expensive than new batteries. Just my $.02..........ride safe.......Mike

#15 ·
I vote for 24x7 also. A properly made battery tender will not overcharge as it automatically cuts back to an acceptable float level.
Just don't try to use a cheapy like that one Harbor Freight puts on sale often for $5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.