Crash Bar vs Fork Side Lights? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Crash Bar vs Fork Side Lights?

What lights and which mounting location. Please show me pictures if you have them. I have read all of the threads I could find here and am more confused than ever. Which lights are best and brightest for gravel or dirt roads at night? I want them for seeing and not being seen. I keep getting told for long treks on rough roads the crash bar mounts are higher making them better despite not turning with wheels.

Which sets come with switch, relay, and wiring harness ready to go? I have been studying the Denali D4's among others but there are so many. Not interested in fabricating mounts or wiring much. Just install and go.

I would like to keep it under $300-400.

TIA

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Im using the twisted throttle aux light mounts. SW-Motech Auxiliary Lighting Mount for Suzuki V-Strom DL650 '12-'15 - TwistedThrottle.com

For mounting location vs tipping/crashing Id say its pretty good. Ive dropped the bike once (stupidly) and hit black ice and slid 30ft+ down the road and the light brackets and the lights themselves were barely scratched (with engineguards on).

as for light, I cant speak too much, because I use them mostly for being seen with some seeing as a bonus.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Polargeist, do you have some pics of the SW_Motech mounts installed? Those look great, but the provided images on TT is of a 1st gen Wee.

2015 DL650A - Metallic Triton Blue

post #4 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks. One review say the D2s work but the D4s are too large for the SW mount. What lights are you running?

I found these on TT for the D4s.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...650-v-strom-12

Last edited by SECoda; 04-23-2015 at 01:44 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

When you say you "want them for seeing and not being seen", I assume you mean you want maximum light without worrying about blinding oncoming traffic? If so, there are some real blazers out there. I would definitely recommend LED lights and would mount them as high as possible for maximum lighting and also it'll help keep them safe in a tip over. The Denali light bar from Twisted Throttle is super easy to mount - just two machine screws, mounts high, great quality machining, cheap.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks everyone. I ended up with the DR1s' and the Denali specific mount for the V-Strom 12-15. A pair was just demo'd to me on a Honda and they were very pretty - even in the day light yet he uses them angled down with the right lens on the highway. I like the switchable lens concept.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
Thanks. One review say the D2s work but the D4s are too large for the SW mount. What lights are you running?

Denali Auxiliary Light Mounting Bracket for Suzuki DL650 V-Strom '12-'15 - TwistedThrottle.com
The SW-MOTECH Aux Light MOunt is not appropriate for the Denali DR1 or the D4. That is why Denali designed a light bracket that handles all of the lights in the line. You can find it HERE and looks like this:

Pictured with the DR1 which has the same basic dimensions as the D4.

Kev
post #8 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I just ordered them a few hours ago from you. lol Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
The SW-MOTECH Aux Light MOunt is not appropriate for the Denali DR1 or the D4. That is why Denali designed a light bracket that handles all of the lights in the line. You can find it HERE and looks like this:

Pictured with the DR1 which has the same basic dimensions as the D4.

Kev

post #9 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I just ordered them a few hours ago from you. lol Thanks!
DOH! If I had read a little further down, I would have determined that. Happy riding!

Kev
post #10 of 11 Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

SW mod

Quote:

Denali Auxiliary Light Mounting Bracket for Suzuki DL650 V-Strom '12-'15 - TwistedThrottle.com
I ordered the SW mount with my d4's not realizing they don't quite fit. A small piece of 1/8"X1" flat bar, a little welding, grinding and painting they fit just fine. Took about 45mins to complete and they look great! I know I'm a little late telling this, but maybe it'll help someone. Aervoe steel blast color nearly indentical to the crash bar color on my 2013. When I get more tech advanced maybe I'll post a photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode