StromTrooper banner

Crash Bar vs Fork Side Lights?

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SECoda 
#1 ·
What lights and which mounting location. Please show me pictures if you have them. I have read all of the threads I could find here and am more confused than ever. Which lights are best and brightest for gravel or dirt roads at night? I want them for seeing and not being seen. I keep getting told for long treks on rough roads the crash bar mounts are higher making them better despite not turning with wheels.

Which sets come with switch, relay, and wiring harness ready to go? I have been studying the Denali D4's among others but there are so many. Not interested in fabricating mounts or wiring much. Just install and go.

I would like to keep it under $300-400.

TIA

#2 ·
Im using the twisted throttle aux light mounts. SW-Motech Auxiliary Lighting Mount for Suzuki V-Strom DL650 '12-'15 - TwistedThrottle.com

For mounting location vs tipping/crashing Id say its pretty good. Ive dropped the bike once (stupidly) and hit black ice and slid 30ft+ down the road and the light brackets and the lights themselves were barely scratched (with engineguards on).

as for light, I cant speak too much, because I use them mostly for being seen with some seeing as a bonus.

#4 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Thanks. One review say the D2s work but the D4s are too large for the SW mount. What lights are you running?

I found these on TT for the D4s.

Denali Auxiliary Light Mounting Bracket for Suzuki DL650 V-Strom '12-'15 - TwistedThrottle.com
The SW-MOTECH Aux Light MOunt is not appropriate for the Denali DR1 or the D4. That is why Denali designed a light bracket that handles all of the lights in the line. You can find it HERE and looks like this:

Pictured with the DR1 which has the same basic dimensions as the D4.

Kev

#5 ·
When you say you "want them for seeing and not being seen", I assume you mean you want maximum light without worrying about blinding oncoming traffic? If so, there are some real blazers out there. I would definitely recommend LED lights and would mount them as high as possible for maximum lighting and also it'll help keep them safe in a tip over. The Denali light bar from Twisted Throttle is super easy to mount - just two machine screws, mounts high, great quality machining, cheap.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. I ended up with the DR1s' and the Denali specific mount for the V-Strom 12-15. A pair was just demo'd to me on a Honda and they were very pretty - even in the day light yet he uses them angled down with the right lens on the highway. I like the switchable lens concept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.