Best place to get switched power under seat? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Best place to get switched power under seat?

Hi, I am currently already using the aux plug on the right side of the bike and the heated grip connector on the left side of the bike so I prefer not to use these if possible.

I would like to get switched 12v power under the seat for a dash camera module. I am going to connect a 5v 1amp USB plug, so maybe 5-10watts total.... (I guess around half an amp at 12v)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 12:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Im not the wiring guru, but I've read a lot of posts that people use the brake like for a switched relay. That doesnt give you the power you're wanting, but would help you created a switched circuit. A lot of guys like eastern beaver pc8 if youre gonna wire up more stuff in the future...might want to do that. There are smaller fuse blocks and cheaper ways to go. GW is like Wikipedia for stroms, so he'll probably respond and give you what you're looking for and make me look ignorant in the process, but hey, im used to it.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 12:41 AM
$tromtrooper

Tail light wire is accessible under the seat. Tap it directly or use it to trigger a relay depending on your current needs.

14 tooth for me

post #4 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago View Post
Tail light wire is accessible under the seat. Tap it directly or use it to trigger a relay depending on your current needs.
I am already taping the brake light for both my scorpio alarm and the backoff xp module. I am guessing that I will need to add a relay for my usb charger.

Perhaps I will use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3OJW4C/...I3GJRH0DHQF3OZ

$85 is a little steep though for a relay......
post #5 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have that Fuzeblock in my bike also had one in previous bike. Well worth the money to set yourself up right. Keep tapping into different wires or the same wire many times will eventually lead to a problem.
Two leads to battery and one switched lead (hot) then you can run 6 accessories from it, some Fuze blocks have ability for 8 extras.
In my opinion it is worth the outlay.

I know nuffink, I see nuffink, It was not me, I was not here.
IBA #45920
FarRider #299
2015 Wee Strom "Piglet"
Givi crash bars, Barkbusters, Ravetech Bash plate, Ravetech Rad guard, Ravetech over dash Ram mount, Hyperlite flashing brake lights, Madstad bracket and screen, Augustus wind deflectors, Spot 3, UHF two way radio, Garmin Zumo GPS, Starcom intercom, Fuze block.
SW Motech Centre stand, Suzuki power outlet. Bike Alarm, Screaming Banshee horn, Led Flood lights, Tool tube, Andy Strapz Expedition soft panniers and frames.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I also have that Fuzeblock and I really like it. It's a clean solution for providing both switched and unswitched power for accessories. I thought it a bit pricey at first glance, but found it reasonable when I started pricing alternative solutions.

Bob
07 Wee
10 NT 700
post #7 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
There is a connector at the rear left connecting a brown wire on the front side and a gray wire on the back side. That is tail light power and will come on when the ignition switch is on or in P(ark). An orange wire with a green stripe runs under the coolant reservoir in back of the tank. It carries power to the rear brake switch and is on whenever the ignition switch is on.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #8 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Taping in all over is just asking for problems. Wiring is best done once and done neat. I use this fuse box to allow me to chose between having the item as switched power or constant power. If I have a problem it is much easier to trouble shoot.

2014 650 V-Strom , 2011 Husqvarna TE630, 1977 Canam 250 Qualifier, 1976 Yamaha TY175 Trials , 1978 Yamaha TY250 Trials , 1974 Suzuki RL250 Trials. < Past bikes... about 45 of them >
post #9 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Eastern Beaver also has a 3-Circuit Solution for a little less money than a fuse panel.

Look just below the PC-8 on this page ...
VStrom

Chris
2014 DL650 - Red
Former bikes ...
2005 DL650 - Red ... totaled Aug-2013
2007 Yamaha V-Star Silverado 650 - Black & Blue ... sold
1984 Honda Magna V45 (700 cc) - Black ... sold
2001 Honda Elite 50SR (hopped up to 72cc ... woo hoo!!!) - Red ... sold
post #10 of 14 Old 04-21-2015, 04:47 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVdoorknob View Post
Eastern Beaver also has a 3-Circuit Solution for a little less money than a fuse panel.

Look just below the PC-8 on this page ...
VStrom
nice and it plugs right into your circuit. no muss no fuss. what I've done is wire everything off the battery. easy but it ain't pretty and I used longer battery bolts.
horn relay, headlight relay, sae pigtail and coax pigtail for vest/glove heat controller. for charging stuff I have a 12 volt socket that I plug into the sae pigtail and lay it in my tank bag.

14 tooth for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode