Help with front fender nut - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Help with front fender nut

I'm installing brake lines and having some issues with the fender bolts on the forks that hold brake line clips---there is apparently a square fender nut, that sits up inside the fender well, that is threaded and holds the allen head bolt. On one side i tried to remove it but the fender nut seems to just be spinning around up there. Guessing it may have been improperly installed and is not sitting properly. Anyone else run into these issues and have any suggestions??

Here is a picture of the nut, on the side where it came off fine and is now back on fine.

Last edited by Sabreman; 05-12-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 PM
$tromtrooper

there is no real trick to getting the bolt out. If the nut is spinning, you'll have to grab it with something. You might try shoving something up there that will wedge the nut in the recess. You might have to pull the front wheel to access the nut if that doesn't work. Many have epoxied the nut in place to prevent it from spinning in the future.

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I'm installing brake lines and having some issues with the fender bolts on the forks that hold brake line clips---there is apparently a square fender nut, that sits up inside the fender well, that is threaded and holds the allen head bolt. On one side i tried to remove it but the fender nut seems to just be spinning around up there. Guessing it may have been improperly installed and is not sitting properly. Anyone else run into these issues and have any suggestions??

Here is a picture of the nut, on the side where it came off fine and is now back on fine.

See the sticky thread top of the page: Front Fender Warning

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
See the sticky thread top of the page: Front Fender Warning
Yes, that is exactly my problem. I missed that sticky before--wish I had seen the warning. Now I will try to grab it with some pliers or vicegrips, or else pull the wheel to epoxy the nut for good. The bolt was incredibly tight and doe have the red/orange heavy duty Locktite---which sure seems like overkill and cause the nut to break out of its slot and spin.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Yes, that is exactly my problem. I missed that sticky before--wish I had seen the warning. Now I will try to grab it with some pliers or vicegrips, or else pull the wheel to epoxy the nut for good. The bolt was incredibly tight and doe have the red/orange heavy duty Locktite---which sure seems like overkill and cause the nut to break out of its slot and spin.

I had my front wheel off... I jammed a flathead screw driver up in there to stop the rotation.

I replaced the OEM nut plates with nylock nuts and washers.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

Last edited by Spec; 04-20-2015 at 11:05 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I had my front wheel off... I jammed a flathead screw driver up in there to stop the rotation.

I replaced the OEM nut plates with nylock nuts and washers.
Thanks--gives me hope. no luck so far jamming it or gripping with pliers.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

That slot is so small, I wasn't able to grip it with anything, but did wedge a really fat, flat-blade screwdriver in there to hold it. But then, mine wasn't spinning freely at the time. Maybe try spraying some penetrating oil like PB Blaster up in there and let it soak before re-trying.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #8 of 12 Old 04-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Thanks--gives me hope. no luck so far jamming it or gripping with pliers.

The red Loctite is heat de-activated. I didn't try this but you may be able to carefully heat the nut plate/screw to help loosen things up.

I forgot to mention that I ended up re-using the nut plate because the (larger diameter) shoulder fits into the hole of the fender. I filed out the threads and used a nylock nut behind it.

Last edited by Spec; 04-22-2015 at 10:49 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-21-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
The red Loctite is heat de-activated. I didn't try this but you may be able to carefully heat the nut plate/screw to help loosen things up.

I forgot to mention that I ended up re-using the nut plate because the (larger diameter) shoulder fits into the hole of the fender. I filed out the threads and used a nylock but behind it.
I did not know that--thanks. I will try my heat gun and hopefully won't melt all the plastic in the process. The PB Blaster spray does not seem to be doing the trick.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-25-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for all the replies. Finally got the bolt and square well nut off---but very frustrating to get this done with the wheel on. Access quite limited and could not get heat up in the well to loosen the orange locktite, PB Blaster did not help, nor could I get a grip with needle nose or small vicegrips despite many tries. What ultimately worked for me was a small (6" total length) screwdriver with a thin 1/8 flat head, that I could wedge and lever under the square well nut to jam it in place. It can be done.

I'm drilling and filing off the threads inside the square nut, so that I can still use it as a washer, and trying to epoxy a 6M nylon lock nut on the backside of it to hold the bolt in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode