How much for the 14,500 service? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

How much for the 14,500 service?

I'm at that point on my 2012. A lot of this is stuff I don't know how to do, and don't have tools for. In addition, the stock trailwings are shot and I need new tires. The chain is also starting to go, so I may need chain + sprockets.

Altogether, with Pilot Road III tires, the dealer quoted me approx $1100. That doesn't include the chain + sprockets, which is apparently $129. It's about a 5 hour procedure for the whole service. Labor is $94/hr. I knew this would be big one, but this is still more than I anticipated. Is this typical stealership price or is it too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wouldn't total cost depend on whether your valves are out of spec. If all are in range they button it back up and you pay basic inspection. The price goes up if they have to lift the cams. Would be nice to have an itemized estimate. What else are they doing. Plugs? Oil? Coolant? Brake fluid?

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #3 of 14 Old 04-18-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have an itemized list, but of course not with me (I'm at work). It covered all the checks the manual calls for at this mileage, minus the oil change, because I do that myself.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuff View Post
I'm at that point on my 2012. A lot of this is stuff I don't know how to do, and don't have tools for. In addition, the stock trailwings are shot and I need new tires. The chain is also starting to go, so I may need chain + sprockets.

Altogether, with Pilot Road III tires, the dealer quoted me approx $1100. That doesn't include the chain + sprockets, which is apparently $129. It's about a 5 hour procedure for the whole service. Labor is $94/hr. I knew this would be big one, but this is still more than I anticipated. Is this typical stealership price or is it too much?

Service manual is about $50.

Modest tool set $100

My opinion... motorcycle ownership includes doing you own maintenance. Not major repairs perhaps but checking valves, replacing chain and sprockets, tire changes, etc. is normal maintenance.

Lots of resources online, helpful people here. If you know which way to turn a wrench you can work on your bike. You will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing that the job was done right.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #5 of 14 Old 04-18-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Agreed. And I've been slowly working towards it. But it's hard to find the time, and I'm just not ready to tackle a lot of the major stuff. Until then, I have to pay the man.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Service manual is about $50.

Modest tool set $100

My opinion... motorcycle ownership includes doing you own maintenance. Not major repairs perhaps but checking valves, replacing chain and sprockets, tire changes, etc. is normal maintenance.

Lots of resources online, helpful people here. If you know which way to turn a wrench you can work on your bike. You will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing that the job was done right.
I've always wrenched my own bikes. Have to say adjusting valves on an Oilhead RT with the heads sticking out on both sides of the bike is a little easier than my current ride.

But I'm old and unemployable so my time is not worth anything and I might as well learn all about buckets and shims.

Heck, I haven't had a chain to oil since the early 70's.

Ride Well and you will Ride Safe.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-19-2015, 02:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Working on my CX500 is easy. The engine is a v twin set side ways like a Motto Guzzi. You can change the head gaskets with the engine in the bike. Prefer to do my own wrenching but haven't worked on a bucket and shim top end before. I do like that I only have to check them every 24,000 km.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #8 of 14 Old 04-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I was quoted £200 to £300 for the valve check depending on how much shimming he has to do , also take off the plastics yourself should save a few quid .
post #9 of 14 Old 04-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

The problem with dealers is the fact that many don't really do the work. So, I would suggest you drop in while your bike is being serviced to see if they really tear into it. I've seen guys go to dealers for valve checks that were never done. You can easily look at the access plugs an tell if they have been removed. I like to set valves on the loose end the first time and then lengthen the future check intervals, most dealers will just button things up as long as the valves are on the tight end. I can't stand that method, if your going to pull the valve covers the hard part is done, it makes sense to set the shims to the loose end of spec and then your covered for a long time usually.

Some of us are not the mechanical type, thats fine. Just find a mechanic you can rely on and stick with them. Look at the independent shops, the mechanics, a step above the usual dealer tech. There are motorcycle mechanics out there, dealers are not the only choice.

Around here a valve adjustment is going to be at least $600. I've done my last two though myself on two different bikes, I've gotten over the learning curve finally. I change my own tires too, mainly because I've been burned by dealers too much. I was one of those guys who paid $60 or more for an oil change, but those days are long gone now.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 PM
$tromtrooper

Are you sure your chain and sprockets are worn out at 14,500?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode