Too dangerous to drive? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 04-16-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Too dangerous to drive?

Iím starting to think that driving my 650 to work this summer will be just too risky. This is the first year I ever had to say that but with the amount of construction, traffic congestion and desperation by drivers to get ahead the risk factor is just not acceptable.

My usual route to work Irving Park Rd has been closed off at York Rd. till Aug. 3rd. Even getting on US 90 West there is nowhere to pull off to the shoulder due to construction if something should happen. The rest is just congested stop and go. Just no fun.

Driving a motorcycle is inherently risky but add in all those other factors and it feels like youíre an accident waiting to happen.

Will have to save the ride for my trip around Lake Superior. Traffic free roads, scenic vistas, and no stop lights for 100ís of miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

ride a bike, drive a car

ride a bike, drive a car

Current Bike: 2007 ABS Wee, rebuilt forks with Cogent DDC, Elka rear shock, tapered roller steering stem bearings, fork brace, Admore top box lights, LED side-only turn indicator lights, Powerlet outlet, frame sliders, Givi windscreen, Givi top box.

Prior Bikes: 2003 EX250, 2007 DL650 (non-ABS)
post #3 of 36 Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have no idea of the traffic in Chicago, but I would think congestion makes it safer to ride? Do you not filter?

post #4 of 36 Old 04-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Chicago is just brutal. No where is safe. I have lived here all my life and I dont even like the outer highways like 80 and 294. I cant imagine driving on 90 on a daily basis.

See you on the ATL trip. That is where it's at.

The only regrets I have in life are the risks I didn't take ...
post #5 of 36 Old 04-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I have no idea of the traffic in Chicago, but I would think congestion makes it safer to ride? Do you not filter?
Interesting subject. It seems that in Australia, riding between vehicles at 30 km/h or less is perfectly legal (lane filtering); as opposed to lane splitting (above 30 km/h) which seems to be illegal.

Here in the U.S. we have no such luck. Only the state of California allows motorcyclists to ride between vehicles.
post #6 of 36 Old 04-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

I ride on US 14 from Arlington Heights to Niles. Mornings are fine, but afternoons are quite congested and one gotta be careful. Suburbs have much wider less congested roads than the city. If I were to give up my daily commute, I don't know what I would do.:frown:

[URL=https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/dl650a_v-strom_abs_adventure/2012/Voigtlander912/302097][IMG]https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/302097.png[/IMG][/URL]
post #7 of 36 Old 04-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Only in NSW, ACT and QLD is at actually legal to filter. Other states like where I'm from in Victoria, it's not illegal, there is no provision to do it legally so you can get caught for breaking some rules while doing it (not indicating while changing lanes, crossing unbroken lines etc.). But if you do it sensibly, then you shouldn't have any issues from the police.
It would be great to have the UK model though.
post #8 of 36 Old 04-17-2015, 03:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Nothing could make me pick the car over the bike as long as the weather is OK.

It is more dangerous to ride than to drive, but I have come to terms with that a long time ago.
I find the pleasure of riding far outweigh the risk.

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:

Last edited by Don_T; 04-17-2015 at 03:45 AM.
post #9 of 36 Old 04-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

I hate big city traffic. I'll take my little town income with my little town traffic. :mrgreen:
post #10 of 36 Old 04-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

I was raised in Hinsdale and lived for 18 years around Chicago. I moved to southern Missouri and now I don't even want to visit there. Insane traffic like LA but crazier nut jobs all over not to mention the taxi drivers. I think riding a bike on the highways downtown is near suicide.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode