My take on Farkling a 2014 650A - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-16-2015, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My take on Farkling a 2014 650A

Hi all,
I've been lurking on the forums for quite some months now just absorbing the wealth of knowledge that is here (well at least trying )
Back in September '14 I picked up a new Glee after a 10 year hiatus from riding.

Like many others I have a fairly extensive list of farkles to add to the trusty steed, so I wanted to document all my experiences and ideas with you all.

What I have
already installed:
  • Givi Airflow windshield
  • Hepco & Becker crash bars
  • Givi Trekker Fender bash plate
  • Givi Trekker panniers & racks
  • Oxford Hotgrips
  • Barkbusters with storm plastics
  • OEM 12V power outlet
  • Hepco & Becker centre stand

Purchased awaiting installation:
  • Easternbeaver dual headlight relay with one light cutoff
  • Easternbeaver PC-8 fuse panel
  • HID headlight conversion kit
Planned works:
  • GPS (Garmin zumo most likely)
  • Denali D4 Aux lights (potentially clearwaters or others depending on research)
  • Autocom system
  • Voltage display
  • Givi Trekker Top box
  • Tank bag
  • Auto Oiler (maybe)
  • Heated vest
I will be trying to do a write up on each of the modifications with photos. (you can never have too many documented installs)
Also feel free to drop any tips/warning/suggestions below as I am always open for new ideas or different approaches.

A couple of images to give this post some eye candy to start with.

DL650 '14
Givi Trekker Panniers/Air Flow Screen/Skid Plate
Hepco & Becker Centre Stand/Engine Guards
Barkbusters w/Storm plastics
Eastern Beaver PC8/Headlight Relay
Oxford Hot Grips - More to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-16-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I need more posts to link photos, this will have to do for now....

DL650 '14
post #3 of 18 Old 04-16-2015, 06:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Those are some nice farkles! I love my Givi Airflow. One of the best accessories on any bike I have ever owned. I am about to add an Eastern Beaver headlight relay myself. And also a Wolfman Blackhawk tankbag.

What were you riding before your hiatus?

2012 650 V-strom ADV
2007 Moto Guzzi Griso

post #4 of 18 Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgix View Post
Those are some nice farkles! I love my Givi Airflow. One of the best accessories on any bike I have ever owned. I am about to add an Eastern Beaver headlight relay myself. And also a Wolfman Blackhawk tankbag.
When I get round to the write up i'll give a bit more info, but the Airflow is really nice for a protection/adjust-ability standpoint. I have just found the distortion to be its only problem. Though I am pretty sure all other screens will suffer to some degree in this regard.

The blackhawk tankbag seems to be a tidy setup, I will be adding that to the list of bags to look into when I get some spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgix View Post
What were you riding before your hiatus?
I have ridden a few things from a Yamaha YZ-F 250 converted for trail riding, Honda CBF 250 (on Learners and probationary license in Australia we used to get 250cc restriction - though it is now power/weight ratio) and also rode a Yamaha Vstar 650 for a little bit there too.

DL650 '14
post #5 of 18 Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
That's alot of farkles .
post #6 of 18 Old 04-18-2015, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.au View Post
That's alot of farkles .
Yeah, I enjoy the tinkering just as much as the riding. Plus I am decking this bike out so I can do a few 2000km "FarRide" (Aussie version of the IBA) style trips to visit the better half who had to move away for the next while due to work.

DL650 '14
post #7 of 18 Old 04-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

sealed road only?

I did a few farkles as well. If you are only doing sealed roads the standard DL is pretty good as is.

My idea was to make the DL650 dirt road worthy.

What worked
1) Mitas E07 tyres: better than I thought they would be.
2) Cogent DDC and .85 springs to reduced the front end harshness to square edge hits. if I hadn't ridden bikes with better suspension I probably would not even have noticed this+ I have sore wrists from work and a previous injury.
3) Scott steering damper/ Rox 3 inch risers needed. You have to drill holes in the frame and grind off a lug to get the previous models post to fit the 2012+. You also have to get longer brake lines.
4) standard rear end suspension works fine IMO
5) Eastern Beaver ABS off switch was added but never used. I thought better off taking it down really steep slippery slopes. I have a DRZ400 for that! if you get stuck and need to escape from said hill descent you can stop and remove the ABS fuse. If you are already comitted the flicking of a switch is faster though.
6) Barrett pannier racks. Really well made Oz product.
7) B&B sump guard ( see above comment)
8) Adventure Tech dash board plate and USB/ power plug. I mounted the heated grips ( heat demons) and ABS switch there too.
9) Givi engine bars are effective in protecting the tank & radiator at low speed fall overs. Air flow screen is better than stock
10) Eastern Beaver headlight relay system worked as described. PC8 fuse box worked but make sure you do up the terminals tightly to avoid burning out. Oops!
11) ADVMonster voltmeter works and is easy to see in sunlight. I mounted it in the left side fairing (vertical position)
12) Instrument panel is great
13) Top box from Caribou. Neat instillation and easy off with 4 dzus bolts.

What didn't work

1) MotoBrizz chain oiler has been erratic and sometimes siphons all the oil onto the shed floor. Try the Tatouro oiler instead
2) The DL brakes seem wooden needing a handful to haul it down. Not a two finger task as with better brakes. You get used to it.
3) air box access sucks! too much plastic to remove and replace to get the tank off. Use an oiled pool filter sock over the inlet to reduce the need to check the airfilter often after dirt road use. Use proper air filter oil.
4) You need a battery tender if you don't ride frequently. My DRZ has the same issue: the electronic speedos draw current.

I will possibly miss my DL650 once she is gone. If only Suzuki would put that motor in chassis like the Tiger 800.

DL650 2103

Farkles:
PC8 fuse box, EB headlight mod, Givi engine bars , Enduro Guardian radiator guard, B&B sump guard, MotoBrizz chain oiler, ATV high bars , (heated grips, EB ABS off switch, USB and cigarette plug mounted on Adventure Tech dashboard), Mitas E07 tyres, Bark Busters and Storm guards, Galfer braided SS brake line 2 inch extension, Cogent DDC fork emulators and .85 Kg straight wound springs.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Got a few farkles for my new 2014 wee strom when it arrives next week . Not much just crashbars , bashplate , screen and a rack .
post #9 of 18 Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrman View Post
I did a few farkles as well. If you are only doing sealed roads the standard DL is pretty good as is.

My idea was to make the DL650 dirt road worthy.

What worked
1) Mitas E07 tyres: better than I thought they would be.
2) Cogent DDC and .85 springs to reduced the front end harshness to square edge hits. if I hadn't ridden bikes with better suspension I probably would not even have noticed this+ I have sore wrists from work and a previous injury.
3) Scott steering damper/ Rox 3 inch risers needed. You have to drill holes in the frame and grind off a lug to get the previous models post to fit the 2012+. You also have to get longer brake lines.
4) standard rear end suspension works fine IMO
5) Eastern Beaver ABS off switch was added but never used. I thought better off taking it down really steep slippery slopes. I have a DRZ400 for that! if you get stuck and need to escape from said hill descent you can stop and remove the ABS fuse. If you are already comitted the flicking of a switch is faster though.
6) Barrett pannier racks. Really well made Oz product.
7) B&B sump guard ( see above comment)
8) Adventure Tech dash board plate and USB/ power plug. I mounted the heated grips ( heat demons) and ABS switch there too.
9) Givi engine bars are effective in protecting the tank & radiator at low speed fall overs. Air flow screen is better than stock
10) Eastern Beaver headlight relay system worked as described. PC8 fuse box worked but make sure you do up the terminals tightly to avoid burning out. Oops!
11) ADVMonster voltmeter works and is easy to see in sunlight. I mounted it in the left side fairing (vertical position)
12) Instrument panel is great
13) Top box from Caribou. Neat instillation and easy off with 4 dzus bolts.

What didn't work

1) MotoBrizz chain oiler has been erratic and sometimes siphons all the oil onto the shed floor. Try the Tatouro oiler instead
2) The DL brakes seem wooden needing a handful to haul it down. Not a two finger task as with better brakes. You get used to it.
3) air box access sucks! too much plastic to remove and replace to get the tank off. Use an oiled pool filter sock over the inlet to reduce the need to check the airfilter often after dirt road use. Use proper air filter oil.
4) You need a battery tender if you don't ride frequently. My DRZ has the same issue: the electronic speedos draw current.

I will possibly miss my DL650 once she is gone. If only Suzuki would put that motor in chassis like the Tiger 800.
Dirt was not really a focus of the bike, it is more of a luxury if there were gravel roads or fire tracks between where I am and where I am aiming to be so I wouldn't have to go the long way round. The main purpose will be to ride from Melbourne to Sydney and back over the weekend to visit my partner. Maybe a few long distance trips to Fraser island or other places. So I would say maybe 1% will be unsealed roads.

I think I will be looking into a couple of the things you mention in your post such as the AdventureTech dashplate, that looks like a nice neat way to mount switches to reduce the number of holes I have to drill in the plastics (something I try to avoid)

DL650 '14
post #10 of 18 Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I put a Givi Airflow screen on and changed to Aprilia mirrors, works really well for buffetting. Added Givi crashbars with Enduro Guardian aluminum skid plate. Tutoro chain oiler - very good. Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Oxford Heaterz. Adventuretech fork brace and over the dash gps mount, which I modified with a 1/2 bar welded in place of the Ram mount, then bolted on the locking Touratech mount - no vibration, used Eastern Beaver connector to power off auxiliary outlet. Latest farkle was a pair of Clearwater Darla's on an SW-Motech mount - seriously bright!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dl650a project l4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode