Hi - an update on my 2012 DL650 Adventure - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-15-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hi - an update on my 2012 DL650 Adventure

Haven't posted much lately, but coming up on 3 years and 21,000 miles I have a few thoughts:

1. Best bike I ever owned (and I have owned a lot)!
2. 0 issues. She just runs strong.
3. The best upgrades have been the Givi Airflow and Corbin seat
4. Best ride was last June, 1040 miles in 17 hours.
5. I love the easy oil/filter changes and oil sight glass.

This year, I am adding an Eastern Beaver headlight relay for (hopefully) better lighting at night, a peg lowering kit from Adventuretech for my 60 YO knees, and some EBC sintered brake pads.

Hope everybody else is enjoying the ride! Have fun and ride safe.

2012 650 V-strom ADV
2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just did my first long ride with the lowered pegs using the AdventureTech kit. So worth it!
post #3 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 01:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

the peg lowering kit is helpful, but I just wouldn't make it without my highway bars. I am 6'2", and my legs are still way to cramped at any longer distance rides using the pegs.
King, I agree with you, what an amazing bike this strom is ! I am still using the factory wind screen, but am confused as to which aftermarket screen to try, I have read so much into it that I am just plain confused if any will be worth the $ or if I just need a super expensive helmet to cut down on wind noise.....
Safe riding to you all !

2012 DL650 Adventure

post #4 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

+1 on the Airflow. SImple install. Easily adjustable. Remove the adjustable portion to clean it. Great design.

+ 1 on the Adventuretech peg lowering kit

I also installed the Adventuretech mirror extenders. Helped a lot with wind noise. For me, earplugs are more important than the helmet $. Of course, one piece helmets tend to be quieter.

Just orders some stuff from Eastern Beaver. I'm anxious to the the Hyperlites on the back of my bike. It makes such a huge different in being seen by the guy behind you when you put on the brakes.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying the ride.:mrgreen:

Ride Well.

Ride Well and you will Ride Safe.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a '09 650... and I agree, best bike I ever owned. No flaws, great power, great fuel economy. I don't know why every bike doesn't come with a 5.7Gal tank... I love it.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

A question for those who have installed the peg lowering kit. I cut a zip tie and some tape that was holding the rear brake wire, but I couldn't free up any extra wire. I lost the wire trying to follow it over on the left side of the bike. To complete the install, I had to pull the coupling apart on the wire. Anybody else have this issue? Suggestions? It is raining now, so I have a day to sort it out, but then I want to ride!

I also have highway pegs on my bike and they really help on LONG rides. But I don't tend to use them unless I am on the bike for an hour or more.

The GIVi Airflow is the best wind protection I have ever experienced on ANY motorcycle. However, I am 6'0" and it might not work as well for taller folks?

2012 650 V-strom ADV
2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
post #7 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgix View Post
Haven't posted much lately, but coming up on 3 years and 21,000 miles I have a few thoughts:
5. I love the easy oil/filter changes and oil sight glass.
Whole heartedly agree. It's a simple thing, but every time I change the oil I appreciate the thought Suzuki engineers put into it:

- Downward facing drain plug with an adjacent 'finger' on the engine creating a low point so oil doesn't seep across the bottom of the engine casing.
- Horizontally oriented oil filter, completely exposed below, so that you can just untighten it to let the filter drain before removing it entirely.
- Side mounted fill plug angled to facilitate filling.

One of the worst was the Triumph Scrambler I had before the DL650:

- Horizontally oriented drain port so oil shot out in a stream (after the first time I learned to loosen the drain plug but hold against the port to throttle the drain flow, still, a pain).
- A vertically, down oriented filter which is not only completely full when you to remove it, but there is additional volume held in the oil passages above the filter so that as you loosen it oil drains all around the filter.
- A fill port from hell, on the top case of the engine, just behind the right cylinder, facing up. That parts OK, what isn't is that this is the side of the bike the side mounted exhaust is placed requiring a long funnel to reach the fill port and oil inevitably spill over the engine when the funnel is removed.

Sorry to go on so long, but these little things made the oil change process on that Triumph a pain, and where on the DL650 (and my DL1000 or yore) it's been properly thought out and makes the process actually enjoyable.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Kingofgix, glad to hear you are enjoying your VStrom. I agree with you about it being a great bike, and definitely is easy to change oil / filter.

I may need to check into the peg lowering kit. My 34" inseam legs do feel a bit cramped when on a long ride. I guess I should clarify a 'long ride'. My longest ride so far is 250 miles.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Suburb of Vancouver BC - if I stand on my roof I can see the USofA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift View Post
the peg lowering kit is helpful, but I just wouldn't make it without my highway bars. I am 6'2", and my legs are still way to cramped at any longer distance rides using the pegs.
King, I agree with you, what an amazing bike this strom is ! I am still using the factory wind screen, but am confused as to which aftermarket screen to try, I have read so much into it that I am just plain confused if any will be worth the $ or if I just need a super expensive helmet to cut down on wind noise.....
Safe riding to you all !
Big sky another "cost effective" way to increase leg room is to buy the factory "tall seat" ... cheap, more comfy than stock and adds leg room.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-18-2015, 01:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCee Wee View Post
Big sky another "cost effective" way to increase leg room is to buy the factory "tall seat" ... cheap, more comfy than stock and adds leg room.
thanks BCW, I am checking into it now, do you know of a vendor ?

edit: nevermind, just bought one on ebay....

2012 DL650 Adventure

Last edited by bigskydrift; 04-18-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode