Mounted Rostra Cruise Control in RH Fairing - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Ned
Stromthusiast!

Mounted Rostra Cruise Control in RH Fairing

Just completed the installation of a Rostra Cruise Control in the right hand fairing. Thanks to all of the people on this site who posted very helpful information. I saw LH fairing installations and thought the RH side seemed more open.

It is tight but the finished installation has about 3mm of clearance between the CC and all of the bike parts. The CC throttle cable loops forward and lays on top of the headlight area in the fairing then circles back between the forks on top of the radiator. I copied another members connection to the throttle bodies. The fuel tank hit the CC on the first trial install and I had to move the CC forward to provide clearance. The unit works very well and I know this will make long trips more enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A Best 1.jpg (91.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg A Best 2.jpg (96.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg A Best 3.jpg (91.9 KB, 172 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-15-2015, 01:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

That is an outstanding looking install!

Dennis

'12 650 Adventure

Madstad 22inch Adventure windscreen & bracket
Adventuretech fork brace & mirror extenders
Enduro Guardian skid plate and radiator guard
Grab-on grips
Suzuki top box
post #3 of 13 Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Nice job!

Worth all the work. Won't have a road bike without it again.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 13 Old 04-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thank you very much for this. I am starting my install tomorrow morning and this is exactly what I needed to see. I really did not want to give up the under seat storage space.

2013 DL650 Farkles: Cal Sci windscreen, Enduro Guardian skid plate and radiator guard, Bark Busters and Storm guards, SpeedoDRD, Richland Ricks fork brace, voltmeter, cyclops LED headlights, Stebel air horn, 3500LM LED driving lights. Eastern Beaver PC8, Rostra Cruise Control, Rox risers and brake line extensions.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-15-2015, 04:56 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I didn't think it would fit there. It's good to know it can be done.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 13 Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Ned
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiii2000 View Post
Thank you very much for this. I am starting my install tomorrow morning and this is exactly what I needed to see. I really did not want to give up the under seat storage space.
I was concerned with the U-bolt clamp holding this tight with all the vibration so I added a 1/4" plate on the nut side to allow me to really tighten this. And be sure to trial fit your tank on before you get too far. The front-to-rear location and tilt of the CC is critical. Expect to play with the U-bolt connection to get this to fit. The nice thing is you can easily access the U-bolt nuts after you install the main fairing. I added zip-ties to keep the throttle cable and wiring in position, did not pull them tight just wanted to loosely corral these components.

Last edited by Ned; 04-15-2015 at 05:57 PM. Reason: added more detail
post #7 of 13 Old 04-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Rostra CC

Great installation Ned !

I did basically the same thing but with the control cable facing back. I ran it clockwise around the throttle bodies, ending at the front of the throttle linkage. All works fine.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ned - Are you still able to easily take off the front end of the bike with the CC mounted there?

Chris
2014 DL650 - Red
Former bikes ...
2005 DL650 - Red ... totaled Aug-2013
2007 Yamaha V-Star Silverado 650 - Black & Blue ... sold
1984 Honda Magna V45 (700 cc) - Black ... sold
2001 Honda Elite 50SR (hopped up to 72cc ... woo hoo!!!) - Red ... sold
post #9 of 13 Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Well, mine is installed. It just doesn't hold speed very well (not at all actually), I think it is due to cable routing. I am going to have to take the fairing off do some rerouting and check dip switch settings. A little bummed, but everything works, just not well. Clutch and brake deactivate it, no high reving or other issues. I did the install without relays.

With it mounted this way taking the fairing off is a little more tedious as you have to take it off the frame and leave that in place. I have had it off and on a couple times finalizing placement of things.

2013 DL650 Farkles: Cal Sci windscreen, Enduro Guardian skid plate and radiator guard, Bark Busters and Storm guards, SpeedoDRD, Richland Ricks fork brace, voltmeter, cyclops LED headlights, Stebel air horn, 3500LM LED driving lights. Eastern Beaver PC8, Rostra Cruise Control, Rox risers and brake line extensions.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-25-2015, 01:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Nice job!

Worth all the work. Won't have a road bike without it again.
cruise installation is a great add to a road bike. It's well worth the effort.

Bob
07 Wee
10 NT 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode