StromTrooper banner

New member - New DL650A 2013

5K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  SECoda 
#1 ·
I just did my first 60 miles on the new bike and love it. I have two other Hondas. I hope I got a good deal on it being a 2013. I have some trips planned once it get about 1000 miles under my belt on it.

I ordered a skid plate but want to pick up a touring windshield that blocks most of the buffeting. Was looking at the Puig among others. I will browse the other threads on a good touring WS.

I need an owners manual while they get my that (any download posted of it?) and the extra WS but I still want a taller one. I think I am moving a Givi V47 to it for plenty of storage if the doors on the side cases will open enough. I talked them into getting me some knuckle guards as well so they are ordering and shipping the extras to me.

For break-in I am varying the speed and keeping the rpm below 5000 for the first few hundred miles at least. Any other recommendation?

#7 ·
Great. Thanks. Mine has the AdMore light kit which I will adapt and the carbon fiber accents which matches my V-Strom.

Congrats. My Givi V47 fits beautifully (albeit just barely) letting the stock side panniers still open. You can adapt the stock top rack to work according to this great post. I'm including a picture of my version of that technique.

View attachment 110450 View attachment 110458

#4 ·
Welcome!

I am sure you are going to really like your DL650! Your poor Hondas are going to get jealous :)

Plenty of WS advice on the forum...the search window just above in the center works very well. Use it also for breaking in.......tons of opinions on that. (Mine, given to me by the chief tech at the dealership as I was riding away was NOT to go over 9,000 RPM's until after the 600 mile checkup....other than that, ride it like you are GOING TO RIDE IT. YMMV.

As for a manual, you will have to order one from a Suzuki dealer. Be prepared to pay about a Ben Franklin, plus state/local taxes. They usually do not 'stock' them...the manuals are ordered and then printed as needed. But that only took about 6-8 days for mine to come in. Online sources are ripoffs. Steer clear.

This site is a wealth of info, quite a few characters.....but all really just love their Suzi's, both the 650's and 1000's. Lots of very experienced riders here too... lots of info to search, read about, and contribute to.

Again, welcome!

Cheers!

Pat

#5 ·
Thanks everyone. I jumped in on the windshield threads and have one on order along with a skid plate.

For the manual I meant only the owners manual not the expensive service manual. Normally, they are just a download - at least for the Hondas and some other bikes (there is no copy protection on them like the service manuals - for Honda). The dealer I got the bike from ordered me a paper copy of the owners manual on their dime when they found out it was missing so I will just wait and use the forum info for the basics I need now which I already found. I just wanted an electronic copy of the owners manual to read one in the interim but it sounds like Suzuki owners manuals might be a valuable commodity. :yikes:

I saw the service manual list for about $90 somewhere but I know where I can get one for less like I did for my two Honda bikes and they were very clear.

#6 ·
I ended up ordering the service manual from where I got my two Honda service manuals and it was $40.

#8 ·
I ordered the Givi adapter kit (E115F) from Twisted Throttle for $23. I have plenty of aluminum to fabricate the plate. Thanks!!!

#10 ·
I built an airplane and have a lot of aluminum stock that should work perfectly along with aircraft grade bolts. :green_lol:

#12 ·
It is completely the wrong color, but other than that if you're happy, then you got a good deal. I have put 7000 miles on mine since mid December. I try to ride every day including commuting to work. I have over $10,000 in bike, ttl, insurance, farkles, tires and riding gear, I still want bags and a few other things, it has been worth every nickle.

#18 ·
I need another Admore lighting connector and wire to wire the tail lights in on the Strom. I ordered the service manual for the wiring diagram. Hopefully, there is a plug on the Vstrom i can tap into. Any threads in wiring top case lights?

#19 ·
I just found out Admore lighting sells a plug-in adapter for the V-Strom so no wiring required. Cool.

#20 ·
Sadly this adapter does not work with the newest (2014,2015) V Strom 650s, in which the plugs have changed. I bought the plug-and-play adapter but then returned it and used posi-taps instead because they said they did not yet have the correct P&P adapter for the newest 650s.

#24 ·
I finished just over 500 miles and went ahead and changed the oil/filter/crush washer and then mounted the Weld86 skid. I should not have any problem removing the filter with it on. I hear no harmonics at any speeds from the skid.

I received the Givi Monokey plate adapter kit and fabricated some aluminum to hold the latch. Here are some pictures. I am still waiting for the AdMore LED lighting adapter to hook up the lights. That is just a plug-in so it should be a piece of cake.

The Givi kit comes with 4 thick rubber grommets so I used the included washers to raise the mushroom bolts a few mm so that the V47 rests evenly on all four grommets. To do this correctly the latch bottom must be mounted a few mm above the top of the plate (as it is on the Givi plate shown) and not even with the top of it.

Latch on Forza Givi plate for a height comparison

#26 ·
Thanks! I just moved the hole on the bottom for the AdMore connector so it will work on both bikes now. The plate on the V-Strom was blocking the hole for the Honda Forza. No biggie. My Parabellum windshield should arrive tomorrow and the service manual I ordered.

#27 ·
Looking good. I originally mounted the latch a little higher than the plate as you have but found it rattled on washboard dirt roads. With the latch flush with the plate it takes a hard downward push to compress the four rubber spacers and get it to latch but once it latches it's solid with no rattles even on the bumpy stuff.

#28 ·
I have a slice of aluminum I can remove (a 10 minute change) to make it level but these rubber washers are tall and it takes a good shove to lock it on there now. It will be fun testing anyways. :mrgreen:

I am thinking of ordering a tool tube since I plan on using some of the space under the seat for a power box and some electronics. Any recommendations for one that mounts in the inside of the left rack? I like the PMR but don't know if it works with this year.

#30 ·
It's real easy to make any of them lockable by adding a bracket to the top and bottom and using a small stainless chain or cable and a small lock. I may just buy the $6 Agri tube and make a universal mount like Twisted Throttle sells but one that won't rust. I bet the whole thing with lock is under $25.

#31 ·
Pictures with cases mounted. The carbon fiber accent on the Givi looks good with the same on the V-Strom IMO. The tool tube will fill up that hole inside the left rack and give me some space when the cases are off. The windshield is 'Out For Delivery' and should arrive any moment. Time to adjust the handlebars a bit back. Farkling if fun. :thumbup:

#32 ·
I just mounted the 22" Parabellum windshield on the highest setting and it is near perfect for me after the handlebar adjustment for viewing angle. We will see how it does in the wind in a little bit. (30 mph gusts today)

BTW - the handlebar adjustment back about 3/4" eliminated the need for the mirror offsets supplied with the windshield. I spoke to Parabellum about it and they said some do that anyways just to get clearance.

Next is to test my chest mounted camera with the new windshield.

#33 ·
I just got a care package shipped from my dealer that included a second Suzuki touring windshield with an airflow (but still pretty short), the lockset for the cases, an owners manual that was missing, and a pair of Suzuki knuckle guards.

Are these knuckle guards worthwhile?

In addition, the service manual I bought at a considerable discount arrived. It looks great and I am surprised how thick it is. It is the same plaace I got my two Honda service manuals.

#35 · (Edited)
Right on the tip overs. Wind, bugs, and an occasional rock from the guy ahead me is the main thing. I don't plan on going beyond the fire and lumber gravel roads and trails south of me in the Ozarks. Not really interested in hard-core off-road.

I did order a fork brace. Now to pick a power distribution box and maybe some side LED lights. It I sure fun to farkle.

The windshield is perfect for me. The buffeting only hits the top of my helmet at higher speeds than I normally ride and it is so wide. It is unobtrusive for my chest mounted HD camera. If I did interstates constantly I might have gone with something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.