Gear Indicator - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-08-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Comox BC
Posts: 9
Gear Indicator

Just wondering what has been the most common fix for those of you who have suffered gear indicator problems. Thanks
jxbaha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Malta
Posts: 3
Hi Mate, What problems did you notice?

On my 2014 I noticed that sometimes it plays up between first and second gear although i would still be on first.
0Chili0 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2015, 05:19 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxbaha View Post
Just wondering what has been the most common fix for those of you who have suffered gear indicator problems. Thanks
There's a plate down inside the left hand sprocket cover where the switches are for the gear indictor.

Pull the sprocket cover off, take a look at the wiring, 90% chance someone has pinched the loom and cut a wire. The other 10% is behind that plate. Pull it off, clean everything, put it back.

Pete
PeteW is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Longshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kennewick, WA
Posts: 16
Great Timing

I'm overdue for chain/sprocket replacement. I've been pushing for the last miles from this set before a 20Kmile summer that I'm hoping for. I'm at 39K on the odo now and I've begun to see the funky and random gear indicator drift that you mention and it is getting worse. But I'll clean it up or repair the wire or potted sensor.

Thanks, and perfect timing.

Ride well.

Ride well.
Longshadow is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2015, 04:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Malta
Posts: 3
Thanks Pete
0Chili0 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-18-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Comox BC
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
There's a plate down inside the left hand sprocket cover where the switches are for the gear indictor.

Pull the sprocket cover off, take a look at the wiring, 90% chance someone has pinched the loom and cut a wire. The other 10% is behind that plate. Pull it off, clean everything, put it back.

Pete
Sorry, been away but wondering if this is a wet plate and what needs to be cleaned? Thanks
jxbaha is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2015, 06:05 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bigmuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 74
I had the same issue. The indicator was randomly jumping around, and often displaying the wrong gear. I unbolted it and cleaned it with a rag, then put it back on. Worked fine for a week and then the problem came back. But before I could re-examine it, it started working normally again. I don't have an explanation. Perhaps whatever was gumming it up flushed itself out.

The sensor itself is pretty easy to get to, but check out this thread for some more detailed info and some photos. The SV650 has roughly the same engine.

code c31 - gear position sensor - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

Edit: an even better link: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2...problem-2.html

Last edited by Bigmuff; 04-19-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Bigmuff is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-21-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Comox BC
Posts: 9
Much appreciated. Thanks
jxbaha is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxbaha View Post
Sorry, been away but wondering if this is a wet plate and what needs to be cleaned? Thanks
I read thru the attached threads and understood the procedures. What I could not determine is, does the clutch cover gasket get replaced, or do we reuse the original gasket?

No one mentions it, so I'm assuming the original is reused. But, I figured it is worth asking, and mebbe I just keep a spare gasket handy, just in case?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400-S
2012 Suzuki DRZ400-S (sold)
2012 WeeStrom
2012 Kaw ZX-14R
2013 Yam WR450F (sold)
mebgardner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome