Bike blown over by wind and was damaged... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bike blown over by wind and was damaged...

my bike blew over in a storm yesterday. It was a nice surprise returning home today to see the bike half in the yard...

Call insurance, do it myself or? I've no idea how much the parts will cost...

in addition to the damage in the photos, the right side OEM handguard was broken as well.

Last edited by Misterbee; 04-07-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well 1st call the INS and make a claim. Run it bye their office for an estimate. Run it bye the dealer for an estimate.
Then look up parts on line and hope for the best. When I crashed mine I got the money from the INS and found the needed parts on line for a fraction of dealer.
The savings paid for a celebratory bottle of Brandy and a cigar.

Oh and condolences. Damn the ill wind that blows.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via AIM to retgarr1
I don't really have any knowledge to give you. And sorry if it seems crass, but I'm asking for information, not to tease. Do you think engine guards and maybe bark busters would have been much help?

post #4 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retgarr1 View Post
I don't really have any knowledge to give you. And sorry if it seems crass, but I'm asking for information, not to tease. Do you think engine guards and maybe bark busters would have been much help?
Likely yes, that is why most of us install them. And what can it hurt to call insurance, otherwise you are going to be footing the bill unless your detuctable covers it. Dang did your handlebar do that damage, do you have them adjusted really far back by chance?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Last edited by Big B; 04-05-2015 at 06:21 PM.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Likely yes, that is why most of us install them. And what can it hurt to call insurance, otherwise you are going to be footing the bill unless your detuctable covers it. Dang did your handlebar do that damage, do you have them adjusted really far back by chance?
i think its from hitting the edge of the driveway. its a few inches above the downward sloping yard.

the handguard landed in the grass and broke in half.

$500 deductible

it was covered by a heavy duty cover parked on the side stand with the wheel turned/locked.

i have bark busters, just havent installed them yet. glad they werent on yet since it would probably be bent.

Last edited by Misterbee; 04-05-2015 at 08:56 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Make sure to ask your insurance how much your rates will go up and for how long. It may be cheaper in the long run to not make the claim.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would go over the bike with a sharp eye, not all the damage parts
Find out the cost.

Then figure there's the cost of putting the bike back right, at least four maybe six hours shop time.

If you have comp with a $500 deductible you will get money from the insurance company on this.

But it will come at a big cost. Expect them to raise your rates. It will go up on the car as well as the bike since you will now fall into the high risk category.

Here's the kicker depending on where you live, even if you carry different car and bike plans, from different insurace companies your car rates will go up, as May your homeowners or renters insurance.

So say the total bill is $1,200 and after you pay the $500 that means the insurance company will pay $700 and raise you rates may $175-300per year, for the next five years, more if you are younger or have bad credit.

So some how, you end up paying more for less then before the claim.

Remember insurance companies are never no matter what they, the lizard, the flo or any thing else say, they are not at all on your side. They are there to take money from you every way they can. Every chance they can.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have broken a piece of the front cowl and while it is finicky to take apart, it is certainly doable with some research on how it all disassembles. As to protecting it in the future, frame sliders are another option as I have dropped my bike numerous times and suffered minimal damage (broke a piece near the instrument panel when the bike landed on its side, rear turn signal stalk cracked, and the OEM handguards are broken but you would hardly know it). To be fair, almost all of my drops are off-pavement and perhaps engine guards would be more effective on the street.

Brad
12 DL 650
00 KLR 650C
post #9 of 29 Old 04-06-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish View Post
I would go over the bike with a sharp eye, not all the damage parts
Find out the cost.

Then figure there's the cost of putting the bike back right, at least four maybe six hours shop time.

If you have comp with a $500 deductible you will get money from the insurance company on this.

But it will come at a big cost. Expect them to raise your rates. It will go up on the car as well as the bike since you will now fall into the high risk category.

Here's the kicker depending on where you live, even if you carry different car and bike plans, from different insurace companies your car rates will go up, as May your homeowners or renters insurance.

So say the total bill is $1,200 and after you pay the $500 that means the insurance company will pay $700 and raise you rates may $175-300per year, for the next five years, more if you are younger or have bad credit.

So some how, you end up paying more for less then before the claim.

Remember insurance companies are never no matter what they, the lizard, the flo or any thing else say, they are not at all on your side. They are there to take money from you every way they can. Every chance they can.
You'd think giving them thousand dollars of insurance payments with no claims EVER with a perfectly clean driving record would keep them from raising the rates. They certainly have more money from me over the years even if this costs a few thousand dollars to fix.

i will ask the almighty geico when they call if they plan on jacking the rates.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Here is a link to Rocky. You can look up your parts needed.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 DL650
2003 Victory Touring Cruiser
1983 Seca 900
1980 XS 850 triple
1971 Dunstall Norton
1970 Triumph Trophy 500
1972 Honda Trail 90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode