Rear wheel again - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2015, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
dcv
Stromthusiast!

Rear wheel again

Hi guys

The season is coming so I decided to change the rear tire / anakee 2 was my choice/. While taking it off was fairly easy putting it back seems like a challenge I'm in the process of doing it / 2 days now! / and it seems to me that it's not a one man job . Anyways what's preventing me from mounting this god damn tyre is the rear wheel speed sensor - it's sticking out so much that it is always in the way every time I try.. And I'm getting weaker and weaker.. So my question is - do I really have to remove it to be able to finish this job? I checked the manual - it clearly says : remove the sensor before taking off the wheel and be careful not to damage the rotator. Well I wish I'd referred to the manual in the first place instead of looking it up in the treads on this exellent forum
Seems like the newest model / mine 2012/ is somewhat different to the previous one at least as far as the calliper mount is concerned..Any help appreciated

Last edited by dcv; 04-06-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

You answered to your own question: Remove that speed sensor.
What could help very much is to make a wedge from a piece of wood, so that your wheel raise as you roll it on the wedge.

Last edited by fortp; 04-05-2015 at 08:02 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2015, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
dcv
Stromthusiast!

yes wood, this I have plenty

fortp, have you ever done it before?
what puzzles me is that when I pulled out the axle it all fell apart so there must be a way..
removing the sensor is all very fine but putting it back is a problem - there is only about a milimiter tolerance between the sensor and the rotator so it takes a thickness gauge and a torque wrench .. I have a big t. wrench so I'll need to get a smaller one as well..
and the whole thing was meant to save some money

post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2015, 04:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv View Post
yes wood, this I have plenty

fortp, have you ever done it before?
what puzzles me is that when I pulled out the axle it all fell apart so there must be a way..
removing the sensor is all very fine but putting it back is a problem - there is only about a milimiter tolerance between the sensor and the rotator so it takes a thickness gauge and a torque wrench .. I have a big t. wrench so I'll need to get a smaller one as well..
The speed sensor just drops back in. Stop overthinking and just remove the damned thing before you break it.

Pete
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcv View Post
Thickness gauge for what? There is zero to adjust. Torque wrench for what? There's one bolt. Snug it up and you're done. Takes like five seconds. Not a problem.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-07-2015, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
dcv
Stromthusiast!

all right , I'll follow your advice

it's just that in other posts in many threads on the subject nobody mentions removing the sensor / at least I didn't see anything/ so I was kind of misled..

I'm a little nervous about this thing as the sensor is a solid piece of metal and I like riding fast ocassionally so if there is only about a millimeter clearance you can imagine what could happen if the thing got stuck in there while going, say 190km/h ...

och, btw, they do measure the clearance with a gauge in the service manual
post #7 of 9 Old 04-07-2015, 04:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Pretty low risk. It's a solid fit, no shims and mine must have been out 10 or so times so far.

The only way that spacing would change would be a missing or wrong spacer somewhere.

Pete
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2015, 10:08 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Leaving it in while changing the tire is way more likely to damage it or affect the clearance than taking it out. I don't see how the clearance could change with it out.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 9 Old 04-08-2015, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
dcv
Stromthusiast!

now things are a lot easier!
one can always count on you guys
thank you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode