new owner in a panic - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-04-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Unhappy new owner in a panic

I just bought a new 2013 v strom 650 abs. Had the dealer lower it for me. After I got home I looked up the company that made the links I have ,it is called psr-usa.com. When I looked up the links I have it says it is for 04-12 model. the link has 3 holes #1 is stock #2 is 2 inches, and #3 is 4inches. Mine is set on # 2 hole ie down 2 inches. I have been lurking for a period and I think I saw that the max to lower the rear was 1and a eighth inch. Am I in trouble? I rode the bike home from the dealer which was 110 miles. It for sure needs the kick stand shortened or replaced with a adjustable one which I have ordered from Soupys. Also have installed the frame sliders from SVperformance. The front was not lowered although I wanted them to lower it three quarters on an inch. they told me they could only go about one eighth and it wouldn't help? To top it all off the charged me $260 which I thought was sky high. But I could not ride it home with lowering to fit my 29 inch inseam.
Sorry for the long post and help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yes, that was sky high and too much lowering.

We have 7075-T6 links in a wide range of lengths for $38 and some on clearance starting at $30. Gen 1 and 2 DL650 and Gen 1 DL1000 - AdventureTech, LLC.

Two people can easily install them in 10 minutes with no special skills. http://www.adventuretech.biz/dl650-and-gen-1-dl1000-raisinglowering-link-instructions.html

The max safe amount to lower is 1.125". After that you risk damaging the inner fender/body work and having a tire rubbing against the body work isn't safe.

Seriously, I would tell them to take them off and get my money back. Take them to small claims court if you need to.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

I can assure you that Rick knows what he is talking about. He gave good advice.

Ride Well and you will Ride Safe.

post #4 of 30 Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yea, they ripped you a new one. Next time, consualt this forum. Truck loads of good information. Hopefully they will remove them and refund the money spent in parts, but probably not labor. Good luck!

Boycott SV Racing
post #5 of 30 Old 04-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Too Low!

When I bought my bike I had the dealer lower it. They lowered it too much (I hadn't read this forum yet) and I immediately noticed that dreadful tire on plastic sound within 30 miles when I hit a few mild bumps.

Caused me to immediately lose faith in service at dealerships. Anyway, as the several folks above said, 1 1/8" is the limit I've seen over and over on this forum. Good luck.

Other options for lowering are OEM low seat, trimming the rubber tabs under the stock seat, and some Chippewa Logger Boots (I am short and did Kouba links, low seat, and Chippewa Boots). I didn't really need the latter.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am 5'8" tall wit a 28" inseam.

I can get one foot solidly down and most of my other foot is flat when I stop.

I've not lowered my bike.

But I understand the lack of confidence feeling not having solid footing gives.

My first suggestion. Spend some time and money learning to ride a bike slow, get comfortable with moving the bike around both on and off the bike.

Then go for boots with a thick sole. My shoe guy has added as much as a half an inch to boot soles.

Then use a thinner seat.

If done right, many people don't even need to adjust their suspension yet have gained nearly an inch of stand over wit just a slight decrease in seat comfort.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have two sets of Kouba lowering links (3/4" & 1-1/8") which I have used on various V-Stroms over the years due to having a short inseam. I found the 1-1/8" links to be too low and cause me to occasionally scrape the centerstand when hitting the low side of a bump or riding too aggressively. I had also lowered the forks 1" to maintain the frame geometry.

I currently have the 3/4" lowering links on my 2012 DL650 Adventure and it's perfect unless I have my side cases on and fully loaded. I have the rear preload cranked up to the max. I also dropped my front forks 3/4" to match the rear and not mess up the frame geometry. This combination works out pretty well.

2012 DL650 V-Strom Adventure (59,000 mi. and climbing!)
2007 DL650 V-Strom (Retired at 95,000 mi.)
2003 DL1000 V-Strom (Retired at 92,000 mi.)
post #8 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 05:56 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
no worries - get good boots

My inseam is only 29" although I'm about 5'10" and I make out fine on my Vee. Ya, a bit of a struggle to get aboard. When it's fully loaded and I've a load of gear in a bag strapped on passenger seat I can't swing my leg over. ha ha So what if I have climb up while it's on the side stand. It gives my longer legged friends something to laugh about.
I ride a lot loaded and 2-up and most important to me is having security that when I put my toe down that it won't slip.
After I wore down the soles on my Sidi On-Road boots I had the arch filled in and the sole replaced with the best Vibram flat sole. Cost $75 and now way better than new !

Road Toads Charter Member - old guy goes stromabout on a 2007 Vee and finally has touched all of the 48 contiguous United states and the 10 Canadian provinces.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 PM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish View Post
I am 5'8" tall wit a 28" inseam.

I can get one foot solidly down and most of my other foot is flat when I stop.

I've not lowered my bike.

But I understand the lack of confidence feeling not having solid footing gives.

My first suggestion. Spend some time and money learning to ride a bike slow, get comfortable with moving the bike around both on and off the bike.

Then go for boots with a thick sole. My shoe guy has added as much as a half an inch to boot soles.

Then use a thinner seat.

If done right, many people don't even need to adjust their suspension yet have gained nearly an inch of stand over wit just a slight decrease in seat comfort.
How do you do that, Mr. Fantastic? I have a 29" inseam, my bike's lowered w/ links 3/4" (front down 19mm), and I still can't get one foot solid down, and the other mostly down (although, I'm very comfortable with what I *can* get down, and in 12k miles on the Strom, never dropped it).

To the OP... take Rick's advice, and grab some of his 3/4" links. Go *back* to your dealer and let them know they don't know sh*t about your bike, and they put you in jeopardy, letting you ride off lowered like a see-saw... hand 'em the proper links, and tell 'em to do it right this time...

And, btw, the Soupy's kickstand is a good investment... make sure you get it with the large foot option.

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags
post #10 of 30 Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
narrow seat

I forgot to mention that I have a Sargent seat.
The front part of the seat seems narrower than stock so I can sqooch forward a bit closer to the tank and reach the ground easier.

Road Toads Charter Member - old guy goes stromabout on a 2007 Vee and finally has touched all of the 48 contiguous United states and the 10 Canadian provinces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode