2014 V-strom 650 question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2014 V-strom 650 question

Picking up my new bike next week. Got a 2014 vs a 2015. Is there any difference? Also I always had a larger windshield on my bikes. Does the stock windshield on the 650 offer much? How about in the rain? Any opinions from experienced owners appreciated not just this but anything about the bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-03-2015, 11:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hi Pete,
I had 2009 w/ABS and I liked it. I now have a 2014 DL650a and I like it more.
There are lots of 'Stickys' on the top of these pages, read through those for a bit of insight on what works for some people. Keep in mind the same thing may not work for you.
Ride the bike for a while, see what really bothers you for the way you ride. No reason to invest in long distance accessories if you don't do long distance riding. Think through all the goodies you want purchase and you will continue to enjoy the bike.
The only suggestion I would offer is a center stand, just to make maintenance a lot easier.
Good luck, welcome to the club and enjoy.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm 5'9" and the stock shield in the top holes works well for me. There is that sticky thread that goes on for miles on the 650, 2012+ page.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 DL650
2003 Victory Touring Cruiser
1983 Seca 900
1980 XS 850 triple
1971 Dunstall Norton
1970 Triumph Trophy 500
1972 Honda Trail 90

post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogun View Post
Hi Pete,
I had 2009 w/ABS and I liked it. I now have a 2014 DL650a and I like it more.
There are lots of 'Stickys' on the top of these pages, read through those for a bit of insight on what works for some people. Keep in mind the same thing may not work for you.
Ride the bike for a while, see what really bothers you for the way you ride. No reason to invest in long distance accessories if you don't do long distance riding. Think through all the goodies you want purchase and you will continue to enjoy the bike.
The only suggestion I would offer is a center stand, just to make maintenance a lot easier.
Good luck, welcome to the club and enjoy.
+1 to what he said! Enjoy your ride and take the accessories when and IF you find you NEED them. Setup stand is useful on any bike.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

I see you are from New York. It can get cold there. Short of getting heated grips (which are great) hand guards are good. A medium size top case for your helmet, when you stop for a coffee, is better than trying to use the stupid hooks under the seat. It also means you can have an excuse and use the bike to run errands!!! For the rest, as they said before me, keep it simple if you dont do long trips.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Try out the stock shield in various positions, if it is lacking for you, then start looking at other options. Look at post #1238 and on in the Windscreen and buffeting thread. Realshelby has done quite a bit of good research about windscreens. Of course, there are many variables and most people will have slightly different results with any setup.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode