2012 dl650a abs top brake line extension question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 dl650a abs top brake line extension question

I have a 2012 dl650a abs.
I want to install rox anti vibe 2" risers.
I understand I need to extend the brake line that connects at the handlebars to make this happen.

I have read on other posts that a 3-line kit is needed to do this. SVRacing sells that kit for $114.
On AdventureTech's website they have the 'Top-Only' 2" longer brake line for $58.

My question is this:
Can I only replace the top brake line on this motorcycle, saving myself $56?
All I am interested in doing is extending the top brake line so I can put on risers.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I too am interested in others experience with this. Helibars sells a 5 inch extension for 30 bucks on their website. Looks like a generic extension. Anyone use this?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm also about to pull the trigger on the Rox risers and need a brake line extension.

I have another question. The middle ends of the front brake lines terminate in little blocks to which the pipes attach for the ABS system (I presume). They're really buried in there at the top of the radiator. Any advice on how to access and install new brake lines?

post #4 of 10 Old 03-30-2015, 07:24 PM
TTS
Stromthusiast!

I installed mine on a '13 650 Adventure without an extension and have no issues with the length of the brake line. Just removed the fastener that attaches it to the fork and took it out of the wire guide at the top.

I can try to take pics tonight if you need?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, you can just replace the top brake line. Whether or not removing that brake line clamp will work for the stock line in your situation depends on the exact adjustment of the risers, as well as the adjustment (rotation) of the bars in the risers. Also, how comfortable you are with a snug brake line.

I got the extended brake line, thinking it would be a snap with the wheel and forks off, but getting to that fitting above the radiator is a real witch. (The fitting is threaded into the back of that block and there is NO slack to pull it out. Also, there is a little tiny brass "olive" that has to go in there before you tighten it up.) You need to remove the radiator for access, and to do that, it looks like you have remove a bunch of plastic, and maybe drain the cooling system and remove hoses? I was running out of time (was doing fork springs and engine oil change) so I decided it wasn't worth it. I found an adjustment of the Rox risers and the bars that feels good for me and works with the stock brake line. Gets a little snug at full left lock, but I just try to avoid that most of the time (mainly when parking). I may make a little extension bracket to bridge that lower clamp to the mounting bolt to keep the line in place when turning the wheel.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I may contact HELIBARS. Their extension goes on from the top and doesn't involve anything near the radiator. It is a generic extension, but it looks like it will do the job. I did have the Rox risers on with the stock lines and bottom bracket removed. I got concerned about tightness qnd took them off. Like TTS stated, it does depend on the angle of the risers and handlebars.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I guess the downside to the extension is it will look a little cumbersome with that banjo junction, but you could put the stock clamp back on and use oem routing with no worries about a taut cable binding, rubbing or pulling.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #8 of 10 Old 03-31-2015, 11:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I recently did the brake line extension from sv racing with 2" rox risers. Install was not too bad. I used a combination wrench to install the new line at the block. There is a small amount of slack on the brake lines that you can pull forward to get to the block. Took me 30 minutes to do the install. I did not have to remove wheel, radiator, or tank.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
What the Heli extension looks like...

https://youtu.be/N6OWyOUYyq8?list=UU...FUv9rkGGqJvSSA

[SIGPhttp://wildbillsgarage.com/IC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 10 Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Went with Helibars/Galfer 5" extension

I went with the helibars/galfer 5" brake line extension.. Extremely easy install. Still trying to get the brakes bled properly, never done it before.

I also installed ROX 2" anti-vibe risers. I have them tilted very far back towards the rider. There is PLENTY of slack in the brake line with the 5" extension, but the throttle cables are a bit snug. It does not rev at left lock, but it is right on the verge. Clutch cable and electrics appear tight, but not enough to affect anything mechanical or electrical that I notice.

I am considering re-routing cables behind the top tree. That should eliminate any problems with tightness.

Overall, I am very happy with the risers and the brake line extension.

FWIW, I also installed a Tutoro auto chain oiler. Super simple install, and it works flawlessly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode