Modifications??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Modifications???

Hi all, I'm trying to get a handle on the best mods to make to my '14 wee after a few long rides (800k in a day). I've raised the bars by just under an inch which has helped my hand position when standing however I'm looking for solutions to the following,

1. Sore knees after many hours, is it best to get a higher a more comfy seat or lower the pegs? Any problems lowering the pegs? What about the adventure tech kits any experience with them?

2. When I'm standing and get towards the ball on my foot my heels rub on the exhaust guard on the right side. Any solutions to this? Pivot pegs?

3. What about a fork brace I'm new to riding and not sure what difference this will make and if it's worth it. I read it may help stabilize the bike in high winds?

4. I'm planning on madstad bracket and screen (on long rids I'm getting head aches from the noise) and hand guards (to give me some sort of warmth).

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-30-2015, 05:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Q:
Hi all, I'm trying to get a handle on the best mods to make to my '14 wee after a few long rides (800k in a day). I've raised the bars by just under an inch which has helped my hand position when standing however I'm looking for solutions to the following,

A: firstly how tall are you? To get mine set up for standing I used protaper Hi ATV bars and 3 inch Rox risers. I am 180-182 cm tall.

1. Sore knees after many hours, is it best to get a higher a more comfy seat or lower the pegs? Any problems lowering the pegs? What about the adventure tech kits any experience with them?

A; Cheap solution is to raise the seat using an Air Hawk cushion

2. When I'm standing and get towards the ball on my foot my heels rub on the exhaust guard on the right side. Any solutions to this? Pivot pegs?

A: Pivot pegs

3. What about a fork brace I'm new to riding and not sure what difference this will make and if it's worth it. I read it may help stabilize the bike in high winds?

A: I fitted one and I cannot honestly say it helps in strong side winds. maybe on the previous model

4. I'm planning on madstad bracket and screen (on long rids I'm getting head aches from the noise) and hand guards (to give me some sort of warmth).

A; Fit some grip warmers, barkbusters and storm guards. I fitted a Givi Airflow screen and in the low position it cuts most wind noise. Using ear plugs and a neck scarf to stop wind entering the helmet.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Never test ride a Tiger 800XCX!

DL650 2103

Farkles:
PC8 fuse box, EB headlight mod, Givi engine bars , Enduro Guardian radiator guard, B&B sump guard, MotoBrizz chain oiler, ATV high bars , (heated grips, EB ABS off switch, USB and cigarette plug mounted on Adventure Tech dashboard), Mitas E07 tyres, Bark Busters and Storm guards, Galfer braided SS brake line 2 inch extension, Cogent DDC fork emulators and .85 Kg straight wound springs.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-30-2015, 05:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have recently fitted Madstad brackets and a 20" screen, big improvement over the old one. (I'm 6'1" with 35" inseam). Stopped 95% of the buffeting, and I can now ride all day with the helmet visor open ( I wear glasses) as the air goes over the helmet and I don't need earplugs.

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in,
and the holes are very small, that's why rain is thin.
Spike Milligan.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-30-2015, 05:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the foot control lowering kit and screen height adjustment spacers from Adventure tech on my 2014V1000, and a givi airflow. I use the screen height spacers to lower the givi base so it deflects the wind from the under side of the screen. It all works brilliantly.

old bikers never die....they just smell like it.

2014..V1000 with bling.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Thread moved, not ANZ specific.

Ron B. VK2OTC
2007 Yamaha XJR1300

RIP Bucko
1979-2008 - Riding on forever
post #6 of 12 Old 03-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

For wind and buffeting also try the Augustus deflectors for sale elsewhere on this forum.

I like the fork brace - no issues in wind or grooved pavement.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #7 of 12 Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

For your knee issue, have you tried switching your feet to the passenger pegs? That was my favorite stretch on my KLR - it would really give me some relief by just varying my seating position a bit. I haven't actually tried it yet on my Strom as I just picked it up in October, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Obviously, if you have a passenger on the back it's a different story.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

This might be helpful.

Shorter/Taller Riders - AdventureTech, LLC.

I developed the foot peg and control lowering kit in response to requests from people experiencing knee pain. Unlike other companies where once you install the part it is considered used and can't be returned, all our original Adventuretech design/products come with a "happiness guarantee."

The fork brace is a near must have option. I think a V-Strom essential mods discussion would have to include the benefits of a fork brace and mirror extenders.

I have summarized some of our Glee applicable parts here. DL650 2012 and Newer - AdventureTech, LLC.

I suggest cruising through the parts by type though to get the most complete picture of what's available.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here are the "mods" that I have strictly for comfort and practicality on my 2014 DL460ABS:
1) Lowered pegs kit (lowers the pegs by 1")
2) AirHawk seat pad (makes the seat about 1/2" higher and more comfortable)
3) The Suzuki OEM hand grip protectors (I call them "air deflectors")
4) HT center stand (basic maintenance much more easier/comfortable)
5) Givi Airflow windshield (beats the OEM hands down)
6) Givi engine skid plate/protector (for the "comfort" of my mind)

2016 Honda Africa Twin
post #10 of 12 Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I installed the foot peg lowering kit from Adventure Tech. The kit also moves the pegs back a small amount. I installed the lowering kit because after eight to ten hours in the saddle my knees would start to ache. Not sure the reason, but after installing the kit I had knee pain I'd never experienced before. I decided to stick with it for a few rides, and this issue resolved itself.

Short of a custom seat solution, the Seat Concepts solution is the only one I found that will give you a higher seating position. Getting it with the firm foam option also keeps me from sinking down as far. Doesn't cut into my thighs like the original seat did either. I'm not one of those that had huge problems with the original seat, but Seat Concepts was a big improvement none the less. Corbin and Sergeant both lower the seating position.

I have the Givi Airflow screen installed, but by itself it does little to cut down the noise I experienced with the OEM screen. Raising the screen helps not at all. I do like the looks of it though. I may try installing a set of Aprilia mirrors this year to see if that helps.

I have the Suzuki knuckle guards installed, and they do everything I need them to including keeping the muffs from pushing back against the levers in the winter. I ride off pavement, but no singletrack, so Barkbusters seem like total overkill.

I have tried a fork brace, and took it off. I like the way the bike handles off pavement better without it. I think any benefits are vastly overstated. I know I'm in the minority there.

I have IMS KLR pegs installed. If my heal touches the guard you mentioned, it doesn't bother me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode