which Oxford heated grips? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

which Oxford heated grips--Touring or Adventure??

I'm looking to add a set of Oxford Heaterz premium grips to my 2012 DL650. I noticed they have "adventure" model (5.2 inches) and also a "touring" model (4.70 inches). Looks like our stock grips are about 4.75 inches long. I am adding a ProTaper SE bar, which is 2" longer than stock bar, so am inclined to go with the Adventure model---but looking for any advice from those who have purchased either of the Oxford heated grip models. Thanks.

Last edited by Sabreman; 03-29-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: more specific title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the adventures on mine. They fit.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovetailredux View Post
I have the adventures on mine. They fit.
it looks like they are longer than the throttle sleeve---did you have to cut them down, or cut off one of the flanges on the sleeve to get them on? I'm also seeing some older posts about people having to file down the ribs on the throttle sleeve to get the Oxfords on.

Looks like the Touring might fit the sleeve better, but it seems that both models are popular here.

post #4 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I put the adventures on, had to trim the grips right down, and shave the ribs and the flange on the sleeve.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdotHicks View Post
I had to trim the grips right down, and shave the ribs and the flange on the sleeve.
+1 , me too.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the adventure which I trimmed down. I removed the flanges but I did not remove the ribs. I just used soapy water and slipped the grip over the ribs. I used the super glue on the clutch side though. I recommend keeping the ribs - I makes for a nice fit without requiring an adhesive.
post #7 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I also went with the Adventures. They are made to be trimmed down. There's specific instructions on that in the manual.

Steve,
2014 Vee2.
Givi Airflow, Givi crash bars.
Oxford Adventure grips.
Hindle Carbon Muffler.
Touratech handguards, Touratech skid plate.
Rox 1"x1" risers, RK Gold X-ring chain.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

check out the thread on this topic

Just wanted to mention that there is a thread on this topic that covers a lot of questions you might have. See if this link works:

2012 heated grip install - Page 10 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums

It should take you to a post about customizing the mount for the control box. I did it exactly as the poster called ride365 did it. Very simple mod requiring some drilling, bending and some filing/sanding to the included mounting bracket. Puts it a real nice spot where it's accessible using your left thumb. If that's TMI I apologize, but I thought you might find it helpful when you're trying to figure out where to put the control box.
Rides2Work likes this.

2014 DL650
Previously rode:
'97 KLR 650
'86 Suzi GS 1150EF
'83 Yamaha Maxim 650

YY Zed
post #9 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the adventure version.
I did not trimmed them. Instead I diminished the diameter of the bushing that is between the handle and the end weight so the end of the grip can go on to it.. Not all the bushing, only the part that goes into the grip.
Because I wanted more room for my hand. And, now the trottle sleeve is less sloppy than before.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by fortp; 03-29-2015 at 07:10 PM.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Touring grips for me they fit perfect no trimming required, however when doing the necessary throttle sleeve plastic trimming of the inner flange I decided to leave the ribs on for a tighter fit and use no glue,the grip slid on tight but the ribs caused the the inner plastic housing seam of the heated grip to expand causing a flat spot on the rubber following the length of the seam, I thought the grip was defective,I took the grip off no more flat spot! then shaved off the ribs and reinstalled with glue... perfect
Allagash likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode