Bar ends for ProTaper SE bar? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bar ends for ProTaper SE bar?

I am planning to swap out the stock handlebar for a ProTaper SE ATV high bend ----wondering if anyone can tell me whether the OEM bar ends will still work with the ProTaper SE bar? and if not, what alternatives are available? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

They won't cause the internal diameter of the new bar is too small. I had to use some fuel line and hardware to make it work. More here (post is not mine).
post #3 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I use those bars and I didn't put the weights back on when I installed them. I think the aluminum bars must do a better job soaking up vibrations than the stock bars. I get some tingling at higher speeds/rpm, but for me they feel fine without weights at any speed below 80mph.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for those ideas. I want to keep the bar ends, as I also have the Suzuki OEM handguards which attach to the bar ends (and as I recall involved some modification of the bar end hardware when first installed). I guess I will try some 1/4 inch ID air hose and see if that works. Disappointed as I thought someone had posted previously that the ProTaper SE would work with the Suzuki OEM hand guards without further modification.

Anyone else out there who has a ProTaper SE and also the Suzuki OEM hand guards installed?
post #5 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nster View Post
They won't cause the internal diameter of the new bar is too small. I had to use some fuel line and hardware to make it work. More here (post is not mine).
I read that post and pictures, which is from 2008----my bike is a 2012 and I think the OEM hardware for the bar ends might have changed, especially as I have the OEM handguards installed. Is yours a 2012 or newer and still needed mods to fit a Protaper SE (which is uniformly 7/8, not the fat one)??
post #6 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I did the same install and did the rubber fuel line and a few mins. at a grinder wheel.... not a large issue. Everything good in less than 30 mins for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Thanks for those ideas. I want to keep the bar ends, as I also have the Suzuki OEM handguards which attach to the bar ends (and as I recall involved some modification of the bar end hardware when first installed). I guess I will try some 1/4 inch ID air hose and see if that works. Disappointed as I thought someone had posted previously that the ProTaper SE would work with the Suzuki OEM hand guards without further modification.

Anyone else out there who has a ProTaper SE and also the Suzuki OEM hand guards installed?

[B][I]~ Stretching the Limits of Performance & Good Taste ~[/I][/B]
post #7 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I used most of the bar end hardware for the hand guards, but i left the weights off. Where the weights would be, i simply placed a large nylon washer to keep the hand guards in place. Oh yes, i modified the hardware too, as that is necessary.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 21 Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Here's an update on what may work for me-- my ProTaper SE arrived today and I got a chance to measure it and try some things.

I have the OEM handguards and their hardware---which involves a shorter M6 bolt than the one which came stock on the bike. There is only about an inch of length left at the end of the bolt. However, the adjusting/tightening nut mechanism on that hardware is definitely too thick (0.67 in) to fit inside the Protaper bar (0.54 iN), as was expected.

I plan on replacing that OEM adjusting nut mechanism, using a short section (half inch or so) of 1/4 inch ID fuel hose that I found lying around (originally sourced at Pep Boys parts counter for a car). The OD of this fuel hose is .50 inch, so it just fits inside the Protaper bar and the idea is that when compressed as the screw is tightened, the rubber fuel hose will bind up against the inside of the bar and hold the bar end weight in place.

I created a new adjusting nut mechanism as follows: The short piece of fuel hose will be sandwiched between two 6mm steel washers. Before adding the 6mm nut at the innermost end, I am also adding a 1/4" ID rubber/neoprene washer between the nut and the steel washer----an idea I got in this thread from another post, so that the nut adjusts properly when the bolt is tightened. so, the sequence from outside in is: M6 steel washer, fuel hose, M6 steel washer, 1/4" rubber washer, and at the very end M6 nut. The steel washers are not strictly needed but my thought is that they will help compress the section of fuel hose, hopefully without binding up the adjusting nut and making it all impossible to remove.

The only new parts required for this mod are short piece of fuel hose, one M6 nut, two M6 steel washers, and one 1/4"ID rubber washer. It seems to secure the bar end weight but I have not yet installed and tested on the bike.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

trying to attach some pictures of what I did...

Last edited by Sabreman; 05-12-2018 at 12:06 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-05-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Update now that I have installed this home-made bar end on the ProTaper SE bars----it does work and seems to be holding. However, the 1/4" fuel hose leaves a bit of room until compressed and I'm considering using a 5/16 ID hose instead (which runs about 9/16 or .56 OD). This may be too tight and if so I will shave a layer off so that it will snug into the bar. I'm also thinking about going back to the OEM bolts, which are longer, and adding a steel spacer, but not sure that would improve it any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode