New Member-Tank Bag Recommendations - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

New Member-Tank Bag Recommendations

Hello Everyone: I just bought a 2012 650 V-Strom (Orange with only 1,000 mi.). I previously had a BMW R1100S but came to really dislike the sport riding position. I love the V-Strom's super comfortable riding position. I'm also very favorably impressed with the power and handling of this bike.

I'm looking for a tank bag for the bike. I like the idea of a bag the attaches to the gas tank cap via an adapter, like the Givi 3D and Cortech Dryver bags, but I'm open to all suggestions. I don't need a very large bag as most of my riding is just around town and I just something to carry some miscellaneous stuff.

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Greg G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 09:18 AM
Bikeless 4 now

Garage
Welcome! I have the same bike and have Rox risers installed about 1" up and back and love the bike! I tried the Givi XS307 and the bars hit it badly even as forward as it would go so I returned it. I'm still looking as well but really can't justify spending $200+ for a nylon bag. There are several threads going around on this topic too so may want to try a few searches.

Here's my original thread on the subject

Get busy living, or get busy dying...

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCOCTILINIAKSKYMEMAMOMTNVNHNJNMNYOHPASDTXVTVAWVWY  sm.jpg
post #3 of 21 Old 03-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Givi XS307 with standard bars/risers, and it fits perfectly with no hitting at either turn-stop.

The tankloc mount keeps the bag from scratching the tank, and since it uses no magnets, it won't screw up any electronics or erase your credit/debit cards.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Greg!

Welcome! Lots of us former Beemer riders here... most of us haven't looked back since throwing a leg over our DL650's! ;-)

Here's a snip from a response I made a couple of weeks ago to another new V-Strom rider:

There is hardly any storage on this bike so a tank bag is probably in your future too. I opted for the Givi 15 liter tank lock system. Best tank bag I have ever owned, period. (And I have owned a LOT of tank bags-strapped, magnetic, etc). I opted for the smaller of the three offered because 1) you will NOT honk your horn when you move the handlebars to the far left. 2) Most folks opt for larger bags but a) if you have the room, you DO throw in a lot of stuff you do not NEED, hence, increasing your top-weight. Stay a little smaller, your bike won't weigh as much and you are not hauling around a bunch of junk you probably don't or won't ever use. http://www.giviusa.com/giviproducts...tankbag-detail

I should add that removing it takes about 1 second. Putting it back on takes the same amount of time (but only after you have done it quite a few times) :mrgreen:

Good luck on your choice.

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #5 of 21 Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

It was good advice and I took it.

Ride Well and you will Ride Safe.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

We have the Givi Tank Lock rings and XS 307 and XS308 bags in stock at 10% off retail.

Tank Bags - AdventureTech, LLC.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

And I bought mine from AdventureTech. Forum supporters and good customer service.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-29-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks everyone for your advice. While I like the idea of a quick release gas tank mounted bag, I ultimately decided to go with a small strap bag, as I wanted a bag that would conform better to the contours of the tank. I had a strap bag on my last bike and didn't mind removing it to get to the gas tank and the bag I picked up was cheap, so if it doesn't work out-no great loss.

Greg G.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 PM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. While I like the idea of a quick release gas tank mounted bag, I ultimately decided to go with a small strap bag, as I wanted a bag that would conform better to the contours of the tank. I had a strap bag on my last bike and didn't mind removing it to get to the gas tank and the bag I picked up was cheap, so if it doesn't work out-no great loss.

Greg G.
Greg,

Sounds like you found exactly what you wanted and will work best for you.

Would love to see a pic when it's mounted.

And it wasn't cheap, it was inexpensive. :mrgreen:

post #10 of 21 Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

My 307 came today. Installed in 5 minutes. Simple an easy.

If you weren't going on long trips and needed to carry a bunch of stuff, the 307 would most likely be a little big at 15L capacity.

I do a lot of LD riding so I want a lot of tank bag for long trips.

Around town riding only I would look for something smaller.

Last edited by Bud; 03-31-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode