Upper brake line replacement help - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Upper brake line replacement help

While I'm replacing the fork springs I wanted to replace the upper brake line (have the Galfer +2") to work with the Rox 2" risers. I don't see how to get to that nut on the back of the metal block that sits at the top of the radiator. It is attached to a metal line running back and there is no slack to pull it out and get a wrench on it. I tried loosening the radiator but to move it looks like it would require removing all the fairings around it. It is looking like an incredible amount of work just to replace one brake line. I know others have talked about doing this, and since I've not read any complaints about getting to this nut, what am I missing?

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-25-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Figured it out. I have a radiator guard, didn't think about removing since it only adds less than 1/8", but it also sticks up about 1/8". With the guard off, there's just enough space to get a 10mm open end wrench in there. Not the best angle but looks like it will work if that nut is not too tight. I'm still open to tips and suggestions.

-Gary
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

I tried that. The wrench kept slipping off the nut. After scraping up the top of the radiator I decided to wait to install the brake line until I could lower the radiator. Once you get the line disconnected there is the tiny piece that you insert into the fitting attached to the metal line. this looks like it will be difficult if there isn't enough clearance to get your fingers around the line.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucen View Post
I tried that. The wrench kept slipping off the nut. After scraping up the top of the radiator I decided to wait to install the brake line until I could lower the radiator. Once you get the line disconnected there is the tiny piece that you insert into the fitting attached to the metal line. this looks like it will be difficult if there isn't enough clearance to get your fingers around the line.
They call that little brass piece a "conic 'olive' inversor", I think it's just a fancy name for a washer to help seal the connection. Getting that in place could be an issue. Going to give it a try as I really want those risers. Actually, they're on now, I just can't adjust them back where I need them to be comfortable, and the brake line is already snug.

-Gary
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Did you see the other thread about re-routing brake and clutch cables behind the triple tree? I am going to try that. The guy left the throttle in the front but took it out of the guide.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2
1982 BMW R100RT
1985 Diamondback Ascent EX
post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

The problem with that is that on the newer bikes the lower end of the upper brake line is attached to the bottom of the steering head where it connects to the lines going back to the ABS control. This means you can't really reroute the line. When I added higher bars I removed the line from the guide that holds it to the frame. I was able to get just enough clearance to use the ATV High bars, but any more would require a longer line.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-26-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatin View Post
Did you see the other thread about re-routing brake and clutch cables behind the triple tree? I am going to try that. The guy left the throttle in the front but took it out of the guide.
I'm rerouting all the other cables, but as noted, you can't do that with the brake line. There is a 90-deg bend coming out of the bottom of that little aluminum block and (for some reason unbeknownst to me) it angles toward the opposite side of the bike from the brake lever. If you could spin that angle around the other direction, it could run up behind the triple-tree just fine.

-Gary
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Helibars/Galfer 5" extension

I used the 5"extension from Helibars.
Works perfectly, and gives me TONS of slack.

I re-routed all my other cables behind the upper tree. Plenty of slack everywhere now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode