Down Shifting to First - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Down Shifting to First

Question from a Noob, so apologies upfront. I have a 2014 DL650. Sometimes, not always, when I'm coming to a stop and I down shift to first, there is a pretty noticeable "crunch" transitioning from 2->1. Is this normal? Bike has < 3500 miles.

At the risk of clouding the issue, I also notice during the same scenario as above, I'll down shift and will hit neutral ( no biggie ), but then going into first there is an extended grinding ( for lack of better term ). I remove pressure and push it into first with a bit more force, and no problem. Maybe I am just not pushing down hard enough going from N->1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 05:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Has your clutch ever been adjusted? The dealer told me when I bought mine that they will stretch a bit while new, but then settle down.

What speed are you shifting down to first?

When my bike is cold, and especially if I don't let the RPMs settle down after initially starting, the "clunk" makes me almost flinch, so I typically will wait those few extra seconds.. Otherwise it's noticeable, but I guess you just get used to it. It's definitely not smooth as butter going into first, but then again I've really never had a bike that was.

Also, I think it helps to be fairly deliberate when shifting - don't hesitate, just pull in the clutch and make the move firmly.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlan Dyer View Post
Question from a Noob, so apologies upfront. I have a 2014 DL650. Sometimes, not always, when I'm coming to a stop and I down shift to first, there is a pretty noticeable "crunch" transitioning from 2->1. Is this normal? Bike has < 3500 miles.

At the risk of clouding the issue, I also notice during the same scenario as above, I'll down shift and will hit neutral ( no biggie ), but then going into first there is an extended grinding ( for lack of better term ). I remove pressure and push it into first with a bit more force, and no problem. Maybe I am just not pushing down hard enough going from N->1
I don't think that sounds right. A "clunk" is normal when going into first, but grinding and crunching sounds like a clutch that hasn't fully engaged. Was this how the bike sounded from day 1?

I also have a '14 and I can't say I've noticed that sort of sound. If you're a completely new rider I suggest you get someone else to try the bike to see if sounds normal to them. What sounds like a "crunch" to you might sound like a "clunk" to them and be completely normal.

Pretty hard to diagnose sound issues on the internet

2014 DL650
Previously rode:
'97 KLR 650
'86 Suzi GS 1150EF
'83 Yamaha Maxim 650

YY Zed

post #4 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 05:31 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
What speed is a good question. I believe you need to be under 20mph.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
On my bike I have to shift into first while I still have a bit of forward momentum, otherwise I'll experience the same symptoms. Otherwise my transmission is smooth as butter.

2015 R1200RT
2011 DL650A
1973 Honda CR250M - the original MX bike
1970(?) Hodaka ACE 100

[SIGPIC]
post #6 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

When I'm coming to a stop or slowing, I'll downshift to whatever gear is appropriate for the speed I'm going. That way if I need to take off I'm ready. Also I don't as a rule use engine braking to slow down. As has been said, you want to be in first before you come to a complete stop, and don't wait until you're doing 10 mph to start downshifting from 6 or it will be balky as well. I've found after I stop in first, I can go to neutral (if it's safe to do so) and then back into first with no problem. Having said that, I don't think I've experienced the sounds you're describing.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #7 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ok, good suggestions. I'll pay attention to the speed, and yes, I am a new rider and have someone that could ride it and tell me what they think.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Figure it's best to downshift in a similar pattern to the way you upshift. You want to be in the appropriate gear for the speed you are traveling whether you are speeding up or slowing down. If you are going too slow for the gear you want to get to when decelerating, the bike will not want to change gears. You'll find yourself stopped and going down through the gears by applying downward pressure on the selector and letting the clutch lever out a little bit for each gear change. After each change, you'll bring the clutch lever back in, let the selector back up, apply downward pressure on the selector again and let the clutch lever out a little bit and so on. If you try downshifting too soon and are going too fast for the gear you are selecting, such that letting the clutch lever out would cause an over rev, you'll get that clash and grind.

Keep the gear appropriate to the speed and you'll stop feeling like such a newb. With practice, you'll do it unconsciously.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Never heard crunch. Transmission is as smooth as silk.

2014 with < 200 miles

Ride Well and you will Ride Safe.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Figure it's best to downshift in a similar pattern to the way you upshift. You want to be in the appropriate gear for the speed you are traveling whether you are speeding up or slowing down. If you are going too slow for the gear you want to get to when decelerating, the bike will not want to change gears. You'll find yourself stopped and going down through the gears by applying downward pressure on the selector and letting the clutch lever out a little bit for each gear change. After each change, you'll bring the clutch lever back in, let the selector back up, apply downward pressure on the selector again and let the clutch lever out a little bit and so on. If you try downshifting too soon and are going too fast for the gear you are selecting, such that letting the clutch lever out would cause an over rev, you'll get that clash and grind.

Keep the gear appropriate to the speed and you'll stop feeling like such a newb. With practice, you'll do it unconsciously.
Actually, I am not doing that. I'm cruising along at say 45 in 4th and see the light ahead turn red. Plenty of time to slow down, so I roll off the throttle while maintaining the same gear. Long before it ever gets to the point of lugging because of being in too high a gear, I pull in the clutch and coast to a stop never engaging another gear. While coasting, I start slowly downshifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode