New member / New strom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Smile New member / New strom

I Bought it yesterday after much research on this forum and elsewhere. Never ridden a wee and wont be able to ride mine for a couple of more weeks when I finally take delivery of it. I think I'm going to love it. Its RED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Sorry.

Its a 2014 650
post #3 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 AM
$tromtrooper

Vermonter,
Congrats! Great choice on a fantastic bike. You live in one of the best regions of the country to really enjoy your Vstrom 650. Keep an eye on the events section of this site for weekend events in the Northeast, there are many. A good chance to ride with fellow V strommers. Good luck with your new bike, ride safe.

post #4 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 08:04 AM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

A sister to mine that I bought last week. Congrats!

Happy to have you as our newest member.

Let the farkeling begin.:mrgreen:

The first thing I did was add the peg lowering/shift relocation kit found HERE

The owner is a forum member. High quality, low cost, fast shipping, fits perfectly and makes it much more comfortable for a 6' 1" guy to ride.

The best bang for the buck for your new ride.
post #5 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Ex- moderator

Congrats on your new ride...take your time getting used to the higher cg...

Why Motorcycles? Because Golf, Soccer, Football and Baseball only require One Ball
post #6 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Nice Bike!..... and suggest that unlike many other folks, you ride it and then decide what extras you need for it to do what you need. Too many used bikes you will see in the classifieds with thousands of dollars worth of extras and low miles. The V-Stroms are great bikes if you find they are what you want. Too many folks think they are dirt bikes and they are not. The other bunch want it to be a canyon carving sport bike, not. Too many put high dollar extras on their bike that everyone says "You Need". They don't know what you need, it's what they want. Ride that puppy and make sure it's the bike for you and then add whatever you want.
I've been riding and racing bikes for decades. I've had my V-Strom for 2 years and have added grip puppies to increase the grip diameter(I have XLarge hands) and a GIVI plate to protect the oil filter from a rock or debris hit as I run many gravel/dirt roads. That's it. I don't need a steel skid plate as this heavy bike isn't a dirt bike to operate off road. No front fork brace as I'll never run hard enough through the canyons on this bike to notice any difference with or without. It will never be a sport bike, trust me.
If you wanted a bike that is easy to maintain, easy and forgiving to ride, inexpensive to operate and does EVERYTHING GOOD you couldn't have chosen a better one IMO.
Have a great ride!
post #7 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I agree with the ride and see attitude. I had my 04 650 (blue) for 7 years before I started Farkling. enjoy the ride. Attend some events or group rides then decide for yourself what you may want.
Enjoy Whatever or however you ride!
post #8 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappuer View Post
I agree with the ride and see attitude. I had my 04 650 (blue) for 7 years before I started Farkling. enjoy the ride. Attend some events or group rides then decide for yourself what you may want.
Enjoy Whatever or however you ride!
7 years and not even a tank bag?

Knowing I will be doing a lot of LD riding, Nova Scotia and Billings, MT and closer places are already on my 2015 riding calendar, I could not imagine riding without a tank bag. Givi on the way

Ditto on side cases of some kind. I'm planning on camping 24 straight days or more. I need the side cases. I have waterproof roll bags to strap on the back.

At my height, there is no need to wait to lower the pegs. Done

I've ridden 140 miles on this bike and know I need a bigger adjustable windshield. Givi will be here tomorrow.

I have a GPS and locator to mount. I know I need a shelf which will be here this week as well.

Fork brace? Owners report better handling riding in cross winds. Nothing to do with canyon carving.

All I'm saying is there are different strokes for different folks.

Some will be perfectly happy to ride a stock bike during their entire ownership and that's great, for them.

Others have had enough riding experience to know what is needed for their style of riding.

If this is your first bike and you don't know, then waiting is the correct advice.

I've ridden several BMW R 1100 RT's the past few years. Sport touring is their forte. Hopping this bike I'm impressed with the lightness and good handling. I'm sure I will be more than happy. This is a flickable ride. Very responsive to rider input. Will be looking for the curves wherever I go. Gotta to get rid of the chicken strips soon.

Your mileage will vary. :mrgreen:
post #9 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan2 View Post
Nice Bike!..... and suggest that unlike many other folks, you ride it and then decide what extras you need for it to do what you need. Too many used bikes you will see in the classifieds with thousands of dollars worth of extras and low miles. The V-Stroms are great bikes if you find they are what you want. Too many folks think they are dirt bikes and they are not. The other bunch want it to be a canyon carving sport bike, not. Too many put high dollar extras on their bike that everyone says "You Need". They don't know what you need, it's what they want. Ride that puppy and make sure it's the bike for you and then add whatever you want.
I've been riding and racing bikes for decades. I've had my V-Strom for 2 years and have added grip puppies to increase the grip diameter(I have XLarge hands) and a GIVI plate to protect the oil filter from a rock or debris hit as I run many gravel/dirt roads. That's it. I don't need a steel skid plate as this heavy bike isn't a dirt bike to operate off road. No front fork brace as I'll never run hard enough through the canyons on this bike to notice any difference with or without. It will never be a sport bike, trust me.
If you wanted a bike that is easy to maintain, easy and forgiving to ride, inexpensive to operate and does EVERYTHING GOOD you couldn't have chosen a better one IMO.
Have a great ride!
I have to give this a +3!!!

Cheers!

Pat

Vermonter!

Welcome! I can't add much more than Tin Man did...just go out there and enjoy one of the world's most UNDERAPPRECIATED (except for owners) and UNDERRATED motorsickles on the planet. Hell, in the known universe!!

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #10 of 36 Old 03-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Others have had enough riding experience to know what is needed for their style of riding.:
Exactly; but to know what's right or needed for a "new to them" motorcycle? Takes a little time. Many years ago I raced the Mint 400 course in Nevada on a Yamaha IT. I didn't do anything to that bike for a long time until I got a handle on what it would do stock. Works the same for a street bike used for pleasure..........Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode