My friend says if you can put a number on it, it's voodoo. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-21-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

My friend says if you can put a number on it, it's voodoo.

Bash bars.

Looking at the many, many pics on the forum. It appears some bash bars stick out very far from the bike and some seem to almost hug the bike.

From pics it is hard to really tell distances.

If you don't mind, could you post a pic that shows a view from forward that would show the gap and also, if possible a measurement of the smallest gap and the largest gap between the bars and the bike.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in helping me choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Buehler? Anyone?

>100 views and no replies????????

Knock, knock, knock, this thing on?:mrgreen:

I know, the first good day for a ride and everyone was on the bike.

Maybe tomorrow????
post #3 of 22 Old 03-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I will reply... But I don't have a glee yet so nothing useful for you. Except maybe changing the title to reflect what is in the thread. I clicked expecting something completely different. "hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat".

What I ride now:
2013 Honda GoldWing (The Lady)
2014 V-strom 650 (The Mistress)
Previously: 07 Ultra Classic, 95 Softail, 80 gs450l

post #4 of 22 Old 03-22-2015, 06:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Bud:

Just put these on about two weeks ago. I am sure you have come across the "Crash bars and Vibrations" topics here? These particular bars vibrated very badly for the previous owner, hence my purchase of them for a very good price. (I did not know about his particular vibe problem until after the purchase).

I mounted mine using rubber/neoprene washers at every metal to metal interface and made sure the bars were properly torqued to spec. I am glad to report NO PROBLEMS, so far.

Just a heads up that I'd tell anyone. I have read about vibe problems on ALL DL650's, with bars from ALL manufacturers...at least to me, there seems to be not a lot of rhyme or reason for it....why some have NO problems while others continue to chase the vibe demons for quite a while. Remember the old saying... YMMV? !

Pics:

In case you didn't notice, the engine guards are white. I thought I would break up all the black this bike has, had them powder coated (along with the rear foot peg mounts, for balance,) and just think it adds a little 'pop' to this ride. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Pat

PS- I do agree with a previous respondent that the title of your thread was (is) a tad misleading/confusing...but perhaps you did that by design? Heck, I clicked on it! lmao....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4558.JPG (70.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4560.jpg (46.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4570.jpg (71.1 KB, 60 views)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #5 of 22 Old 03-22-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rod View Post
Bud:

Just put these on about two weeks ago. I am sure you have come across the "Crash bars and Vibrations" topics here? These particular bars vibrated very badly for the previous owner, hence my purchase of them for a very good price. (I did not know about his particular vibe problem until after the purchase).

I mounted mine using rubber/neoprene washers at every metal to metal interface and made sure the bars were properly torqued to spec. I am glad to report NO PROBLEMS, so far.

Just a heads up that I'd tell anyone. I have read about vibe problems on ALL DL650's, with bars from ALL manufacturers...at least to me, there seems to be not a lot of rhyme or reason for it....why some have NO problems while others continue to chase the vibe demons for quite a while. Remember the old saying... YMMV? !

Pics:

In case you didn't notice, the engine guards are white. I thought I would break up all the black this bike has, had them powder coated (along with the rear foot peg mounts, for balance,) and just think it adds a little 'pop' to this ride. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Pat

PS- I do agree with a previous respondent that the title of your thread was (is) a tad misleading/confusing...but perhaps you did that by design? Heck, I clicked on it! lmao....

Thanks for the pics. The third on, looking forward clearly shows the view that I wanted. What brand of bars are those?

The white looks good on your bike.

They appear to fit pretty closely to the bike.

I can not edit the title, I think it is some kind of forum software issue.

Last edited by Bud; 03-22-2015 at 08:04 AM.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Thanks for the pics. The third on, looking forward clearly shows the view that I wanted. What brand of bars are those?

The white looks good on your bike.

They appear to fit pretty closely to the bike.

I can not edit the title, I think it is some kind of forum software issue.

No problem about the title now.... all's OK. :mrgreen:

Sorry I forgot to mention the brand of the bars.... these are from Givi. There are a few others out there too so look at all of them.... Suzuki makes some also.

I liked these because you can use them without a bash plate--some brands of engine guards out there require (?) a bash plate and that just made it too pricey for me. Also, I don't intend to do much, if any, serious offloading or single trail riding on this bike so I don't feel the need for one.

Another reason is that several riders who have them tell me the that the bash plates (the lower engine guards) throw up a lot of engine noise to the 'cockpit'... something I do not wish to hear. YMMV!

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Poopy head #2 here....
post #7 of 22 Old 03-22-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rod View Post
No problem about the title now.... all's OK. :mrgreen:

Sorry I forgot to mention the brand of the bars.... these are from Givi. There are a few others out there too so look at all of them.... Suzuki makes some also.

I liked these because you can use them without a bash plate--some brands of engine guards out there require (?) a bash plate and that just made it too pricey for me. Also, I don't intend to do much, if any, serious offloading or single trail riding on this bike so I don't feel the need for one.

Another reason is that several riders who have them tell me the that the bash plates (the lower engine guards) throw up a lot of engine noise to the 'cockpit'... something I do not wish to hear. YMMV!

Cheers!

Pat
Thanks Pat.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

I got used, somewhat crashed, MoTech bars and they save the plastic ware when I crashed. I don't do camera so no help there. Crash bars can help, depends on how you crash. I think they look good on the bike.
I have Hepco Becker on my BMW G650GS and they look dorky. They stick out weird but , hey, it's pseudo ADV bike right?
post #9 of 22 Old 03-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Have you considered sliders?
post #10 of 22 Old 03-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2wheeler View Post
Have you considered sliders?

Mark asked the above....I considered them too, especially with all the vibe problems some were experiencing.

I consider myself real lucky...about 25 miles away exists a motorcycle shop that specializes in V-Stroms. Sure, they work on other bikes too....but the V's ARE their specialty (track bikes too).

I called and asked about sliders vs 'normal' engine guards. The person I talked with recommended not getting sliders for street use. He felt they most likely would not protect the plastic from a normal tip over or drop nearly as well as engine guards.

He also stated he has seen a lot of damage from slider rigged bikes that go down on the street and they have a tendency to catch on things, (small indentations in the street, for starters) and the bike then can easily get flipped.

Another thing mentioned was that if you were not able to get your leg out of the way that the regular engine guards would most likely work better at preventing an injury than sliders would.

He then said that "your mileage may vary". He owns a 650 for the streets and uses regular engine guards.

I thought over what he had said, the damages he's seen in the shop and I then decided sliders were not for me..... so I opted for the Givi bars.

I have seen at least two V-Stroms with sliders...and liked the looks. But for me, I just decided that the engine guards would suit me better (plus, it gives me the options of mounting cameras that the sliders wouldn't) :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Pat

Albert Einstein

Poopy head #2 here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode