Tank bag sizing question. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-21-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Tank bag sizing question.

So the Givi SX 307 specs say 15L. Seriously.

It is big enough to put in the contents from 7 1/2 two liter soda bottles. That's a lot of Diet Coke..
Anyone have one. Can it be done.

Or, am I missing the obvious?

Last edited by Bud; 03-21-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Sure if you used the waterproof liner. And unzipped the bottom to expand it to its full capacity.

It probably won't hold in the carbonation though.

The only regrets I have in life are the risks I didn't take ...
post #3 of 13 Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Bikeless 4 now

Garage
I bought that bag and my handlebars hit it because of the Rox Risers I have installed. I wound up returning the bag. Just a FYI if you're using risers.

Get busy living, or get busy dying...

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCOCTILINIAKSKYMEMAMOMTNVNHNJNMNYOHPASDTXVTVAWVWY  sm.jpg

post #4 of 13 Old 03-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

We have that bag on the Wee2. This week after a year old and lite usage the zipper started to break apart. Nice bag otherwise and the quick connect is great.

IBA #7147 Current Bikes
14 DL1000ADV
13 DL650A
06 DL650
2004 R1150R, BMW
2002 R1150R, BMW
1996 Road King, Harley Davidson
1994 FXR Superglide, Harley Davidson
post #5 of 13 Old 03-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Buy the biggest thing you can find. You can always zipper it closed but that is easier than trying to shove 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.

I saw some great huge TourMaster tank bags at the dealer the other day but they were 200+ bucks...bugger that!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've never poured 7.5 two liter bottles of anything into my 307 sized Givi...but it holds everything I need it to hold.

The main reason(s) I went with the smaller bag of the three Givi offers (tank lock system) is that during tight maneuvering when the handlebars are pushed to full left, I don't want my horn going off. This has never, ever occurred to me whilst pushing the bars far enough over to touch the tank bag.

#2--- With my long history of LD riding, I used to pack so much unnecessary crappola into my tank bags, saddle bags, trunk bag, messenger bag, etc, it looked like I was well prepped for the Zombie Apocalypse. I don't do that type of riding anymore, hence 'downsizing'. Even my Bestem rear trunk stays in the garage 98% of the time now unless I know I'll really need it (going on vegetable stand runs, multiple errand runs where I know I'm buying stuff, etc). I personally like the looks of this bike without it.

#3- A lighter bike, to me, at least, is best, for me. YMMV. :mrgreen:

#4- With nearly a 5.5 gallon capacity in the tank, (8 lbs per gallon), you have some weight up high. Having a 25 liter or larger tank bag stuffed to the gills just makes it more top heavy..something I have dealt with in the past (My Paris Dakar had a 9.5 gallon tank!). Again, I don't need that type of weight that high anymore, so I went with the smaller bag.

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #7 of 13 Old 03-22-2015, 12:10 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rod View Post
I've never poured 7.5 two liter bottles of anything into my 307 sized Givi...but it holds everything I need it to hold.

The main reason(s) I went with the smaller bag of the three Givi offers (tank lock system) is that during tight maneuvering when the handlebars are pushed to full left, I don't want my horn going off. This has never, ever occurred to me whilst pushing the bars far enough over to touch the tank bag.

#2--- With my long history of LD riding, I used to pack so much unnecessary crappola into my tank bags, saddle bags, trunk bag, messenger bag, etc, it looked like I was well prepped for the Zombie Apocalypse. I don't do that type of riding anymore, hence 'downsizing'. Even my Bestem rear trunk stays in the garage 98% of the time now unless I know I'll really need it (going on vegetable stand runs, multiple errand runs where I know I'm buying stuff, etc). I personally like the looks of this bike without it.

#3- A lighter bike, to me, at least, is best, for me. YMMV. :mrgreen:

#4- With nearly a 5.5 gallon capacity in the tank, (8 lbs per gallon), you have some weight up high. Having a 25 liter or larger tank bag stuffed to the gills just makes it more top heavy..something I have dealt with in the past (My Paris Dakar had a 9.5 gallon tank!). Again, I don't need that type of weight that high anymore, so I went with the smaller bag.

Cheers!

Pat
+1
I have the smallest, semi rigid Givi bag and its just enough for the essentials. I've got 2 Axiom handlebar bags: Axiom Adirondack Handlebar Bag - Modern Bike on each crash bar. Each one is 5 litres which gives me 20 liters of compartmentalized storage with the weight forward and down low on the bike, (plus the 7 liter tank bag). They deflect some wind, but the main thing is my stuff is better organized than when its all stuffed into one bag. I always have my frogs togs (jacket in one bag, pants in another) on the bike and know exactly where to find them. Gloves, air pump and rock straps in another and edibles in the other. I love the setup.

'15 Tiger800 XRx
'99 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
'89 Honda NX250

"Why don't I have tattoos? For the same reason you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari."
post #8 of 13 Old 03-22-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the responses.

I think I'm going to order one.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I think I'm going to order one.

The good thing about it is usually whomever you order it should have a return policy (wouldn't hue to check) if you don't like it OR you could most likely easily sell it here online.

Bud, I think you will like it though...... :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Poopy head #2 here....
post #10 of 13 Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeadg View Post
+1

Each one is 5 litres which gives me 20 liters of compartmentalized storage with the weight forward and down low on the bike, (plus the 7 liter tank bag). They deflect some wind, but the main thing is my stuff is better organized than when its all stuffed into one bag. I always have my frogs togs (jacket in one bag, pants in another) on the bike and know exactly where to find them. Gloves, air pump and rock straps in another and edibles in the other. I love the setup.
Thanks for the link. Never seen those before. Very reasonable too. :yes nod:

Cheers!

Pat

PS- Where in W. MA? I spent 4 months in Marlborough, MA a couple of winters ago. Reminded me why I liked the Deep South so much! :mrgreen:

Albert Einstein

Poopy head #2 here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode