DL 650 seat - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thumbs down DL 650 seat

Hey y'all

Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with the seating position on the new 650? I can't ride mine for any longer than an hour without my backside feeling like it's been kicked, and my bollocks squashed up against the tank. It's like I slide forward in the 'saddle', and when I try and push back up into the seat, I just kinda slide back forward. It's really uncomfortable. I've been told that you can get a higher mounted seat? I wish they told me that at the shop when I bought it new? I'm a tall guy, so I think that may be part of the problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just bought a 2014 DL 1000 and I had a 200 mile ride back home along the Rockies at dusk and it was not a comfortable ride compared to my 06 Vee I use to have..The temps where mid 30's and low 40's..my A$$ was starting to hurt within the first hour into it...the more I thought about it the more it hurt...when the cold kicked in and watching out for Elk and Deer( I saw plenty of) I didn't think about my A$$ hurting as much. When it dipped into the 30's To try to keep face mask from fogging up I had to breath though my mouth downwards..I was wearing winter FirstGear gloves on and had to stop 3 times to warm up fingers.. I was glad to be home....
post #3 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromVegan View Post
Hey y'all

Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with the seating position on the new 650? I can't ride mine for any longer than an hour without my backside feeling like it's been kicked, and my bollocks squashed up against the tank. It's like I slide forward in the 'saddle', and when I try and push back up into the seat, I just kinda slide back forward. It's really uncomfortable. I've been told that you can get a higher mounted seat? I wish they told me that at the shop when I bought it new? I'm a tall guy, so I think that may be part of the problem?

Thanks
I believe the forum you want is "DL650A - 2012+"

2014 DL1000 ADV
2006 DL1000 125,000 miles (Sold!!)

post #4 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantzoften View Post
I believe the forum you want is "DL650A - 2012+"
Moved to that forum.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromVegan View Post
Hey y'all

Thanks
Suzuki makes a gel seat that is an inch taller and flatter than the stock one. I can go about 2-3 hours before wanting to get off, I could only make it an hour on the stock one. Also look into the motorsport underwear, it adds another layer of padding.
post #6 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hey ,Ya my 650 seat sucked big time I'm 6,2 .Bought a sargent had it made to 34in not cheap with us can exchange but what can you do .I used a air Hawk pad on stock seat and it really helped .
post #7 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm not a tall man, but I had the same problem. Couldn't stay on it more than an hour and sliding forward. I put on my airhawk that I already had, and it helped some, however was still sliding forward, and now with the airhawk, was bearing into the family jewels. So, I bought a like new sargent seat from another inmate here, and that doubled the time I could ride before getting off, fine for day trips around here, but I feel I need to be able to at least ride a tank of gas if I want to go anywhere. After reading all the threads about the Terry Adcox seat, I sent mine in for the group discount last month, total cost of 222.50, which includes sending him my seat, and pray that it will give me the comfort I need. When I receive it, I'll post how it helps. It used to be that I could ride all day on a 2x4, but climbing into the +60 age catagorey, the body just doesn't take it anymore, which is most of the reason , like others, of buying the Strom.
post #8 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWee View Post
I'm not a tall man, but I had the same problem. Couldn't stay on it more than an hour and sliding forward. I put on my airhawk that I already had, and it helped some, however was still sliding forward, and now with the airhawk, was bearing into the family jewels. So, I bought a like new sargent seat from another inmate here, and that doubled the time I could ride before getting off, fine for day trips around here, but I feel I need to be able to at least ride a tank of gas if I want to go anywhere. After reading all the threads about the Terry Adcox seat, I sent mine in for the group discount last month, total cost of 222.50, which includes sending him my seat, and pray that it will give me the comfort I need. When I receive it, I'll post how it helps. It used to be that I could ride all day on a 2x4, but climbing into the +60 age catagorey, the body just doesn't take it anymore, which is most of the reason , like others, of buying the Strom.
Looking forward on your review of the Terry Adcox seat. I have a sheep skin cover I used for long trips on the Harley I traded in for the 14 Strom..will test it out on this seat tomorrow.
post #9 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought a Corbin...problem solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeB5ZraUeYQ
post #10 of 66 Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Before you change the seat, use cycle-ergos.com to see where you need to be comfortable. The seat won't help a poor riding position you described.

I found that up and back risers moved me to a much more comfortable place and peg lowering helped too.

Additionally, I found a really simple solution from a fellow forum member of using a mesh seat cover ($8 on amazon) added enough airflow and a little more cushion to make me comfortable and I haven't needed to buy an aftermarket seat.

PS: Ride a bicycle to toughen up your tushie cause there is only so much an aftermarket seat can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dl 650 seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode