Electrical accessories on fairing - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-17-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Electrical accessories on fairing

I have two questions regarding adding electrical accessories to the fairing plastic:

1. I have seen a few 12V outlets added to the fairing plastic by drilling a hole but I'm wondering if anyone has added an item to the vertical surface of the fairing plastic - that is, the small space on either side of the instrument cluster. If so, any photos out there?

2. When I install a 12V cig lighter, let's say, is there any point in using the inline fuse that came with it if I'm connecting through the factory accessory connection (which is already fused)? In other words, is there a benefit to having two fuses in that circuit?

I hope some of that made sense ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

YY-Zed - Have you considered an auxiliary shelf from Adventure Tech? See their website at Auxiliary Shelves (main page) - AdventureTech, LLC. You can't go wrong with Rick's products.

To answer your questions, I put a voltmeter on the vertical surface left of the combination meter. Not sure there is enough depth there to put in a power outlet.

When I installed my GPS cradle I used the auxiliary power connector in the right side of the fairing. I left in the cradle fuse because a 3 amp fuse was the requirement for the GPS and I think that is a 10 amp circuit. Better safe than sorry.

Chris
2014 DL650 - Red
Former bikes ...
2005 DL650 - Red ... totaled Aug-2013
2007 Yamaha V-Star Silverado 650 - Black & Blue ... sold
1984 Honda Magna V45 (700 cc) - Black ... sold
2001 Honda Elite 50SR (hopped up to 72cc ... woo hoo!!!) - Red ... sold
post #3 of 12 Old 03-18-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVdoorknob View Post
YY-Zed - Have you considered an auxiliary shelf from Adventure Tech? See their website at Auxiliary Shelves (main page) - AdventureTech, LLC. You can't go wrong with Rick's products.

To answer your questions, I put a voltmeter on the vertical surface left of the combination meter. Not sure there is enough depth there to put in a power outlet.

When I installed my GPS cradle I used the auxiliary power connector in the right side of the fairing. I left in the cradle fuse because a 3 amp fuse was the requirement for the GPS and I think that is a 10 amp circuit. Better safe than sorry.
Yes I am thinking about the shelf from AdventureTech, but I actually wanted to put my voltmeter up there as you have (with a small on/off switch too). Do you have a photo of it? I know there's a frame bar that you have to avoid back there, so I'd love to see exactly where you put it.

As for the fuse, would the device fuse blow first thus protecting the accessory plug fuse? I think I read somewhere that the accessory plug fuse would stop the bike from running if it blows. Sorry, I'm beyond amateur when it comes to electrical stuff.

Thanks for the "YYZed" , I might add that to my signature line.

2014 DL650
Previously rode:
'97 KLR 650
'86 Suzi GS 1150EF
'83 Yamaha Maxim 650

YY Zed

post #4 of 12 Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

The accessory plug fuse does kill the bike if it blows. I carry extra fuses with me, just in case. The only time I've had a problem was at home in my garage.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-18-2015, 04:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Good place for a volt meter.

post #6 of 12 Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

That looks OEM. It's also right in the centre - I wasn't sure that would work based on what I could feel in behind the panel.

Nice job. I will try to do it as well as you did it although my voltmeter is round rather than rectangular.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I put mine on the other side. You can only see the corner of it here.

Glee Dash by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-2015, 11:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I also have the round type of voltmeter and i put mine on the left. This is the best photo I have handy.

Please ignore all the extra holes in my AdventureTech shelf ... it's been subject to a few experiments. Plan to order my final version soon.

You should definitely throw that YYZed in your signature just to keep those of us south of the border on our toes.

Chris
2014 DL650 - Red
Former bikes ...
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Forgot to comment on leaving in the fuse to the GPS circuit. I really just want the additional insurance for the GPS. I splurged on the Garmin 590LM and that thing ain't cheap. The device fuse is just protecting the device branch of the circuit. Without it, some weird, rare, but unpredictable issue (like a manufacturing defect in the cradle) could theoretically send 10 amps down those wires, to the cradle and into the GPS all of which were designed for 3 amps max (plus some safety margin, I'm sure).

If a short occurred elsewhere in that circuit, it would blow the 10 amp fuse shutting the whole circuit down (including the GPS branch).

Chris
2014 DL650 - Red
Former bikes ...
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Last comment ... with some care you can get the combination meter cover off without removing the fairing. That way you get a good look at what's back there without pulling the whole front end off. It's 6 screws and 4 clips all of which are in plain sight. The meter is attached to the cover with two screws which you can remove so that the meter stays in place for perspective or you can unplug it (which will clear your mpg for that tank, if you care about such things).

Chris
2014 DL650 - Red
Former bikes ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode