Brought it home today. First riding impressions. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-16-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Brought it home today. First riding impressions.

Background info. I'm coming from the world of BMW oilhead boxer twin engines. I've owned 5. For reasons stated in another thread I've made the switch.

So a very short, 30 mile ride when I got home and unloaded the bike.

Feels very light. Responsive steering with light input. Holds the line w/o wanting to stand up or fall in to a turn.

Decent acceleration for my 225 pounds.

Not as much engine braking as I expected. Takes a long time to decelerate after backing off on the throttle.

Bar position is just right. Peg lowering kit here this week to take care of knee bend. Seat felt OK but most do for 30 minutes. Will take a couple hour ride to see if I need to be moving around or not.

Need to raise windscreen. May not help. Read about the mirrors and the different aftermarket windshields. Will have to study that more.

Need a shelf for my gps and locator.

Buying tank bag this week.

Buying a HT center stand as well.

Scratching my head about oiler/no oiler. Haven't had a chain driven bike since the 70's. (Yes, I know I'm an old phart here but I was just average in the BMW world. :mrgreen

Tires sound loud, but I'm used to PR's so it isn't a fair comparison.

Turn signals look dinky and dim. Saw the advice to put in shiny tape to make them brighter.

Need some Hyperlites for the brake and turn signals.

Need to install a fuse block, a couple of 12V outlets on the dash.

More HD riders waved today than they did when I was on the Beemer.

All and all, I have a smile on my face and look forward with anticipation for the good things to come.

Pics tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Prior to my Vstroms (on my third one now), I owned shaft drive cruisers and a couple of BMW's. The thought of a chain drive was frightening to me. Years later I can say that they are dependable, efficient, and not hard to maintain. I did buy a Scottoiler and I still use one today. It is SO NICE to know my chain is being properly lubricated, my chain and sprocket life are extended, and my maintenance is limited filling the reservoir and checking slack once in a while.

Don't be disheartened by the chain. I do highly recommend the oiler. It is nice not thinking about lubing anymore.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am forwarding a wish for many safe and enjoyable miles. Quite the machine. Puts fun back into riding after making the switch from big touring rigs at 58 years of age.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Great to hear Bud. The handling is something that probably doesn't get enough attention, the engine get's most of the praise I guess. The ABS is awesome too, the Beemers had me for a long time because of the safety features and Paralever suspension was very good but I think everyone has caught up. Well, maybe Harley hasn't but you know, some like chrome and steel heavy beasts.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Talking

Harley does the best they can!
post #6 of 13 Old 03-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

safe riding! +1 on the oiler I'm installing one this summer. hope you enjoy the new ride.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

The powerband is very forgiving on the bike, so you're not going to get a lot of engine braking at speed. Now if you can remember to engine brake when going slowly down a high incline gravel road in first gear, you'll find that the engine braking works just fine while other riders white-knuckle their ABS brakes and slide right past you.

If you're installing a center stand, than an automatic oiler is just plain lazyness and/or farklemania. Pop it up on the stand, spin the tire and spray. Couldn't be easier. Well, actually the scottoiler would be easier, but I digress.

2012 Suzuki DL650A - "Sherpa" - Tusk 30mm risers, Trailwings front and rear, Barkbuster Storm, Bestem 929 topbox with LEDs and liner, everything else stock.

Daily commuter when weather permits, 25k miles and counting.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-18-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Ya gotta love it.

One members say you have to get the oiler, the other says balderdash.

Both are right.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think the auto oilers are nice, but up on the centerstand and hitting with some Belray Superclean every so often does the trick for me just dandy.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #10 of 13 Old 03-18-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I think the auto oilers are nice, but up on the centerstand and hitting with some Belray Superclean every so often does the trick for me just dandy.
Does the Belray lube as well as clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode