Panamanian Glee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Panamanian Glee

I just came back from a 9 day trip to Panama and was very surprised that the Panamanian National police are using the Glee version of the DL650 as their police bikes on the Pan- American highway. I wish I could have taken a picture but I was never stopped at the same time as the motorcycle. They use also some other similar displacement bikes but weren’t sure what those were.

I saw the National Police drive the Wee two up with the officer on the back balancing his assault rifle on his knee pointing up. Just watch the bumps!

All along the Pan-American highway they have cut out police on motorcycles pointing their radar at you and from a distance they look pretty convincing!

Most of the locals drive smaller displacement bikes. Mostly dirt orientated but saw one pre 2012 DL650 in my limited travels.

Panama was widening the Pan American highway from two lanes to four lanes up to Costa Rica and with the amount of stone they have to remove it is a huge project like building the Panama Canal.

Saw a Piaggio dealer in Panama City. Saw a number of motorcyclists in full gear from the states traveling the Pan American highway route. I saw one guy in an aerostich full suit and it was 93 in Panama City.

All in all a very beautiful country that is very friendly to tourists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-16-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Here is a picture from Google
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panamanian police.jpg (59.7 KB, 161 views)
post #3 of 17 Old 03-16-2015, 05:42 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
I just came back from a 9 day trip to Panama and was very surprised that the Panamanian National police are using the Glee version of the DL650 as their police bikes on the Pan- American highway. I wish I could have taken a picture but I was never stopped at the same time as the motorcycle. They use also some other similar displacement bikes but weren’t sure what those were.

I saw the National Police drive the Wee two up with the officer on the back balancing his assault rifle on his knee pointing up. Just watch the bumps!

All along the Pan-American highway they have cut out police on motorcycles pointing their radar at you and from a distance they look pretty convincing!

Most of the locals drive smaller displacement bikes. Mostly dirt orientated but saw one pre 2012 DL650 in my limited travels.

Panama was widening the Pan American highway from two lanes to four lanes up to Costa Rica and with the amount of stone they have to remove it is a huge project like building the Panama Canal.

Saw a Piaggio dealer in Panama City. Saw a number of motorcyclists in full gear from the states traveling the Pan American highway route. I saw one guy in an aerostich full suit and it was 93 in Panama City.

All in all a very beautiful country that is very friendly to tourists.
Spent some time there years ago and it can be a beautiful place . . . give or take the weather. To my way of thinking the two best places to be in Panama
are either the mountains (think Darien province) or the beaches - everywhere else is a a sweat bath. But the people are great, friendly and helpful. Did you see any of the Cuna Indians when you got down south?

I can't imagine the amount of work required to widen the Pan American Highway . . . wow

post #4 of 17 Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to Sharkey
Panama Canal

Just got back from a 3.5 week trip to Panama (Saw several Stroms there!!! ) to help my son take his sailboat through the Canal, spent a week at one of the Islands 30 miles SW of Panama City, then another week in the mountains north of Panama City. What a great trip !!!!

Last edited by Sharkey; 03-16-2015 at 06:40 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

We went only to Gamboa on the south side of the canal. Visted Santa Fe, Boquete and Bocas del Toro. And two Pacific side beaches.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

The Panamanian local police indeed have some Suzuki VStrom 650, almost all of them 2012-2013. The picture attached shows the equipment they have on it. There are other motorcycle models in use, but are declining because of the heavy use and the lack of maintenance.

Other special forces, known as "Linces", use the Suzuki DR650. Some older models were 750cc. These are the ones with the submachine gun riding as passenger.

I just recently saw one very close and is very deceptive to see this bike all littered and lacking maintenance (chain, tires, seat, etc.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PanamaTransitPolice_vstrom650.jpg (94.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Linces_SuzukiDR650SE.jpg (92.3 KB, 111 views)
post #7 of 17 Old 05-20-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Some nice high viz reflective tape on the bikes. You can see how dry it on the pacific side durring the dry season. Hey mjss25 do you live in Panama now?
post #8 of 17 Old 05-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjss25 View Post
These are the ones with the submachine gun riding as passenger.
Sorry but it's my military kicking in. Not a submachine gun. it's an M16 A2 full sized machinegun. Sub guns use pistol calibers and the magazine sticking out is a 30 round rifle caliber mag. I am sorry but I cannot help it after carrying the same rifle for 24 years. More and more of our police up here are carrying the same thing now where the shotguns used to be. Now I'll go away...............
post #9 of 17 Old 05-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
[QUOTE=TinMan2;3196921]Sorry but it's my military kicking in. Not a submachine gun. it's an M16 A2 full sized machinegun.

Actually it appears to be a M16A1, do to the rear sight assembly. I just had to be an A$$HOLE.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Could be an SP-1. Triangular forearm....;-0

2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode