What's your take/experience on this break in method. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

What's your take/experience on this break in method.

Contrary to all mfg advice I've ever seen.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 AM

Looking forward to real life experience replies on this myself.
post #3 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Motoman or any other method of break in utilizing cylinder pressure and varying speeds works great.

Babying an engine is the last thing you want to do.

Steve,
2014 Vee2.
Givi Airflow, Givi crash bars.
Oxford Adventure grips.
Hindle Carbon Muffler.
Touratech handguards, Touratech skid plate.
Rox 1"x1" risers, RK Gold X-ring chain.

post #4 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

This comes up on all the motorcycle forums I read. General consensous is that it really doesn't matter how the engine is "broke in". The manufacturer's procedure works, Moto guys works. Do what you want it especially with the Strom motor.

Some seem to think that the motor has never been run on a new bike. More than likely the factory redlines the motor through the gears before it gets installed in the frame. Modern motors have much tighter tolerances and don't need extended break in procedure's anyway.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #5 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Just ride it like you normally would and follow the oil change procedures.
post #6 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernac View Post
Just ride it like you normally would and follow the oil change procedures.
+1 on this.

In fact, the chief technician told me before I rode mine out of the shop when I asked him about a break in period...he just smiled and told me to "ride it like you just stole it!" He suggested not going over 9,000 RPM's until it had a few hundred miles on it but otherwise, "let 'er rip!"...... :mrgreen:

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #7 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Madness!

Seriously though, who is more likely to offer the more credible advise on engine break-in; the outfit that designed, manufactures, warrants and whose reputation depends on the engine performance and durability or some guy on the internet?

More specifically, engine break-in is not all about ring to cylinder wall sealing, all of the other contact points within the engine are a consideration as well. While contemporary manufacturing methods do yield improved tolerances between parts compared to the methods of yore, there is still a wearing in process at numerous contact points within the engine; e.g. cam lobes to followers, bearings to journals, etc. Until they do wear in there is increased localized heating at these concentrated points of contact. To avoid damage from this localized heating, engine speeds and loads are best kept at moderate levels.

One thing I did not see in the referenced article, but have in other articles recommending the 'ride it hard' break-in method, is that racing engines do not receive a moderate speeding/loading break-in and maximum performance is demanded from racing engines. Engines used for racing typically don't have the time or mileage available to reasonably allow a moderate speed/load break-in. Secondly, longevity is not a priority in racing applications. Even endurance racing applications have a goal of only several thousand miles or so before rebuilds. For street applications we're looking for much, much more.
post #8 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Madness!

Seriously though, who is more likely to offer the more credible advise on engine break-in; the outfit that designed, manufactures, warrants and whose reputation depends on the engine performance and durability or some guy on the internet?

More specifically, engine break-in is not all about ring to cylinder wall sealing, all of the other contact points within the engine are a consideration as well. While contemporary manufacturing methods do yield improved tolerances between parts compared to the methods of yore, there is still a wearing in process at numerous contact points within the engine; e.g. cam lobes to followers, bearings to journals, etc. Until they do wear in there is increased localized heating at these concentrated points of contact. To avoid damage from this localized heating, engine speeds and loads are best kept at moderate levels.

One thing I did not see in the referenced article, but have in other articles recommending the 'ride it hard' break-in method, is that racing engines do not receive a moderate speeding/loading break-in and maximum performance is demanded from racing engines. Engines used for racing typically don't have the time or mileage available to reasonably allow a moderate speed/load break-in. Secondly, longevity is not a priority in racing applications. Even endurance racing applications have a goal of only several thousand miles or so before rebuilds. For street applications we're looking for much, much more.

LMAO.......no the madness is following recommendations written by lawyers. And you do realize that some out there on the internet, are very much experts on certain subject matter? The discussions of engine break in just cracks me up, it is right up there with being told you should not use synthetic oil until the engine is good and broken in.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #9 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
For over 30 years now ALL bikes, trucks, & cars have had the dog poop run outta them ( with NO sustained loads however) by myself and I have not had ANY oil burners, etc. as a result and have all been strong performers. (Even the '08+ "Oil Burning" KLR 650's).
NOTE: I also do stuff like change the oil & filter @ 25~100 miles, do a refill, usually w/ Rotella, run it to 1000~1500 miles and then start to feed it Mobil 1 full synthetic per manufactures recommendations (15~ 50 for bikes).
It works WELL for me & my enlightened buddies for decades now.

[B][I]~ Stretching the Limits of Performance & Good Taste ~[/I][/B]
post #10 of 46 Old 03-14-2015, 04:26 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Break in methods are like religions to me. Devoted people have allegiance to their own beliefs and think other practices will send the holders to hell. Any actual differences before anyone dies seem less than apparent. Extremists may be the exception in both cases. I would neither baby engines nor beat them.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode